• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels minor leaguers blast Arte Moreno for terrible living conditions

mmc

Sometimes companies/organizations do things not because they have to, but because they want to.  Sometimes that’s what separates successful ones from others.

I think the main point being made in all these articles is that their situations put them in a tough mental and emotional state that makes it difficult for them to focus on playing baseball.  

Well, that’s the real world many of us lived in at one time. So again, I don’t see why they should be exempt from that.

At the same time, teams could do more, but it doesn’t appear they want to. Maybe if teams that do more show a competitive advantage, others will follow their lead. 

So, on the other end of the spectrum - I don’t fault guys for getting as much money as they can in their contracts. And I really don’t get upset when they don’t live up to them…

15 minutes ago, Taylor said:

That's literally my freshman year of college. But I was getting an education at the same time. I wasn't a professional working a professional job.

So you were spending a few years getting ready for your career.  Minor leaguers are doing the same thing.

7 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Sometimes companies/organizations do things not because they have to, but because they want to.  Sometimes that’s what separates successful ones from others.

I think the main point being made in all these articles is that their situations put them in a tough mental and emotional state that makes it difficult for them to focus on playing baseball.  

Well, that’s the real world many of us lived in at one time. So again, I don’t see why they should be exempt from that.

At the same time, teams could do more, but it doesn’t appear they want to. Maybe if teams that do more show a competitive advantage, others will follow their lead. 

So, on the other end of the spectrum - I don’t fault guys for getting as much money as they can in their contracts. And I really don’t get upset when they don’t live up to them…

I hope that the "real world" my daughter grows up in is better and has more opportunities, fairness, and equity than the "real world" I grew up in. I also hope this for other people.

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

So you were spending a few years getting ready for your career.  Minor leaguers are doing the same thing.

No they're not. Their career begins as soon as they get signed by a professional baseball team. They aren't students or interns.

20 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Wait, are you actually defending slavery? It was fine except for the lashings and that they couldn't choose their masters?

You have to be insane to make this ridiculous comment.

It is clear in plain English that my post cites slavery as being horrible as they had no freedom and aside from the lack of freedom (which is already abuse) many were abused in other ways.

The horror of slavery was not centered on the quality of food.

Look if you can’t agree that slavery was a stain on human history primarily because humans should not own other humans and abuse them under the guise of ownership, then we probably don’t have anywhere to go in the conversation.

Edited by Dtwncbad

17 minutes ago, Taylor said:

No they're not. Their career begins as soon as they get signed by a professional baseball team. They aren't students or interns.

You are splitting hairs, and yet I would still disagree.   I would say it is pretty accurate to view them as both students and interns.  They are training for a job they don’t have yet, one they don’t know if they will ever actually get.

Not ever medical student becomes a doctor.

Not every Google intern gets a real Google full time job.

And not every minor leaguer becomes a major leaguer.

13 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

You have to be insane to make this ridiculous comment.

It is clear in plain English that my post cites slavery as being horrible as they had no freedom and aside from the lack of freedom (which is already abuse) many were abused in other ways.

The horror of slavery was not centered on the quality of food.

Look if you can’t agree that slavery was a stain on human history primarily because humans should not own other humans and abuse them under the guise of ownership, then we probably don’t have anywhere to go in the conversation.

This is your quote...

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

That’s why the issue of slavery for clear thinking people is about lack of freedom and abuse, not that they lacked shelter and food.

You are saying it was bad, but not as bad as people say.

I get it, it makes sense. You had to live in an apartment with two other guys, eating top ramen every night for a couple of years in college. You can really sympathize with your enslaved brothers, but you also understand how fortunate you were to be able to go out to the club every night without getting lashes in the morning.

Just now, AngelsLakersFan said:

This is your quote...

I get it, it makes sense. You had to live in an apartment with two other guys, eating top ramen every night for a couple of years in college. You can really sympathize with your enslaved brothers, but you also understand how fortunate you were to be able to go out to the club every night without getting lashes in the morning.

No.  I did not say it was not as bad as people say.

You just made that up out of thin air.

It is irritating to explain clear thought to reactionaries (often because it doesn’t work).

Slavery was as bad as everyone says it was because there is pretty much nothing worse than the idea of humans owning other humans.

Don’t make shit up.  It’s lame.

29 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I hope that the "real world" my daughter grows up in is better and has more opportunities, fairness, and equity than the "real world" I grew up in. I also hope this for other people.

It's naive to think or even hope she won't face some adversity. It's part of life and it can be a good thing. 

35 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I totally get this view.  I have kids too.  But the older I get, the more I know there is a whole lot of value in young adults learning how to adjust to lost opportunities, facing what feels unfair, and figuring out how to handle situations that are not equitable.

They will need these skills and you don’t just have them out of thin air.  Life is a whole lot more enjoyable when you have the skills to deal with adversity and you stop wasting time and energy feeling personally wronged by lost opportunities, things that seem unfair, and unequal outcomes.

16 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

This is your quote...

I don't see that IMO.

I think he was just pointing out the reasons why slavery was bad, but that food wasn't one of them.

Just now, True Grich said:

@Taylor you just had a baby. What the hell are you doing here? 

Just got done with skin to skin contact and now the baby is feeding. So I'm catching up on some AW. 

Also, newborn babies sleep like 18 hours a day. It's just broken up every hour or so.

6 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Of course she'll face adversity. That doesn't mean every form of human-caused adversity should be tolerated or excused.

Human caused adversity? What the hell does that have to do with minor league baseball?

2 hours ago, Taylor said:

Slaves also had roofs over their head and three meals a day.

Wrong

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

If Lou was around in 1850 he'd have said, "if they don't like it they should escape."

Wrong

14 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

No.  I did not say it was not as bad as people say.

You just made that up out of thin air.

It is irritating to explain clear thought to reactionaries (often because it doesn’t work).

Slavery was as bad as everyone says it was because there is pretty much nothing worse than the idea of humans owning other humans.

Don’t make shit up.  It’s lame.

I was just wondering what the issue with slavery was for those not so 'free-thinking' people...

Ok, ok I admit I'm just trolling you at this point. I may just be reading too much into your choice of words.