• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels minor leaguers blast Arte Moreno for terrible living conditions

mmc

2 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Mickey dying is still the saddest part of the whole series. Maybe of any movie.

Id quote Rocky here when Mickey dies, but I dont think any of it was an actual word.

Lol..Yeah Balboa wasn't the most articulate guy.

Funny fact and maybe u know this already.

Stallone still has and keeps as pets the turtles from Rocky.

On 7/23/2021 at 8:09 PM, Kotchman said:

If the dude don’t like the job, he should quit. Arte gave  him the opportunity of a lifetime and he just isn’t good enjoy to take advantage of it. My son plays soccer in Mexico. He gets 1k a month, meals, and lives in a dorm room inside the training facility. Not a glamorous  lifestyle but he is thrilled to have the opportunity. 

And he also gets a dorm room and his meals, things these players do not receive!

On 7/24/2021 at 2:34 PM, eligrba said:

So, the fact that MLB got an exemption from paying federal minimum wage is not a problem? 

Asking for a friend.

It is exactly the problem. If they got rid of MLB's anti-trust exemption this problem would solve itself. Either these players would be compensated more competitively or their positions would no longer exist. 

4 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

It is exactly the problem. If they got rid of MLB's anti-trust exemption this problem would solve itself. Either these players would be compensated more competitively or their positions would no longer exist. 

Considering what happened when salaries were raised for minor leaguers recently, i think we know the answer. 

Yikes, this thread. It's like we forget that two things can be true at the same time. 

1) Minor League guys having to work extra jobs isn't exactly slavery. Many people work multiple jobs, and having to drive Uber or stock shelves is the price paid for chasing a dream. It's a bet most guys lose, but that's how bets mostly work. 

2) For less than Raisel Iglesias, the Angels (and rest of the MLB) could make some MAJOR improvements in the feeding, training, housing, and scouting of Minor leaguers. If it improved the development rate (however measured) by even 5%, it would probably pay off in a big way down the road -- and would help keep costs low at the major league level. Seriously, if doing this three years ago had resulted in just ONE additional half-decent late inning reliever for this year's team, it might already have paid for itself. 

So while I am not really troubled with a 30-year old man complaining that he's living like a college freshman, it would be nice for the Angels to commit money to these other ways of potentially improving performance. 

Ok, so let's say every player improves by 5%.

How many of those now become productive major leaguers that wouldn't have been before? 

My guess would be very close, if not, zero. 

So the question - is that a good investment?

5 minutes ago, Lou said:

How many of those now become productive major leaguers that wouldn't have been before? 

Taking good care of your people is always a good investment.  Setting you apart from your competition is a good investment.  

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Taking good care of your people is always a good investment.  Setting you apart from your competition is a good investment.  

They're getting paid. Taking care of unproductive employees is a waste of resources. 

I'm sure you've had quite a few employees who struggled to make ends meet while living in subpar housing. How many rents and grocery bills have your owners covered? 

3 minutes ago, Lou said:

Maybe I am wrong here (and these things are hard to quantify), but improving Ward, Thaiss, or Adell 5% might be enough to make them sure-fire major leaguers.  Also, from the organization's perspective, "minor league improvement" would be an increase in the rate of generating major league talent, not the improvement of literally all players. They don't care if most players flame out after a couple seasons, but if the system produced an extra major leaguer every couple of years that would definitely be worth it. 

At any rate, "5%" just represents a small-but-solid improvement; make the number bigger or represent whichever metric you would like. 

Just now, ScruffytheJanitor said:

This would be a really great point if this was a question about the employment rate of minor leaguers.

It's about expenditures. As soon as owners were required to increase pay, they immediately eliminated a portion of their work force. To think additional costs won't result in them coming at the expense of another part of the organization is naive.

21 minutes ago, Lou said:

They're getting paid. Taking care of unproductive employees is a waste of resources. 

I'm sure you've had quite a few employees who struggled to make ends meet while living in subpar housing. How many rents and grocery bills have your owners covered? 

This is a cute analogy.