• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels minor leaguers blast Arte Moreno for terrible living conditions

mmc

The guys drafted in respectable spots get handsome signing bonuses making them “rich” compared to 99.9% of other people their age.   And the ones drafted late who don’t get big bonuses are long shots to make it.  They are not really good investments to give them more than they get.  They choose to pursue it anyway, and it’s just kind of peculiar to think they are entitled to more than just having the shot to make it.

This whole thing is a fake problem.  Nobody is starving or freezing.  It isn’t suffering.  It is getting by like anybody trying to make their way.

Fake problem.

11 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Thanks.  I personally think it makes a nice point, but you do you.

We all win.

It's explains why you have the opinion you have.

I know quite a few actors, none of them have hit it big but they are doing just fine, and it's the differences between their circumstances and those of a minor league ball player that make the difference.

While most of them are chasing a dream there isn't a studio out there that is hogging up all their time without paying them well. Most maintain a steady job with a flexible schedule. They can take a morning off for an audition, and they don't have to quit after 4 or 5 months to do something full time. Most book a couple commercials a year that pay more than most minor leaguers get paid in a season.

I really don't think minor league baseball players should be exempt from struggle.  Hell, I remember all too well, the struggles I had right out of college....  Many of us had to worry about our bills, rent, affording food, etc.

I think it makes Jared Walsh's all that more impressive.  His story is rare though. 

Now that there are only 20 rounds for the draft.  I wonder what a guy picked in the 20th round signs for on average?  Also - it might be to a player's advantage not to be drafted because they he can find the best offer from a franchise that wants him in their minor league system.

At the same time, I think MLB has gotten off pretty easy, all things considered.  I would think they should be able to find an equitable solution.

Stop comparing the crappy job you had in high school or college to minor leaguers. You didn't get drafted to out of high school to flip burgers at McDonald's halfway across the county. They didn't cap how much money you could make based on when you were drafted. When Burger King offered you more money or better conditions you could go there and work for them. MLB isn't a free market. Everyone saying "you're worth what someone will pay you" are using that in the wrong way. As MLB owner Steve Cohen pointed out, draft picks are worth 5x their investment costs. 

But beyond that, everyone pointing out that Arte should invest in minor leaguers is right. NCAA programs invest so much money is food and training facilities. Owners spend so much money on their big league teams (I'd argue they should put more in payroll). But for the price of a decent middle reliever you could pay every minor leaguer in the system enough to be able to afford food and rent and they could focus only on being a good baseball player instead of making ends meet. It's classic penny wise pound foolish behavior from Arte.

Is the housing issue something that can be addressed through collective bargaining? Or nothing like that available for the minor leagues? 

As I said in another thread, it seems like it would be pretty easy for teams to purchase or build an apartment building for their minor league teams in each of those cities. This seems to me like a simple way to solve this part of the problem.

1 hour ago, eligrba said:

Have any current major league players spoken about this or provided any support for changing the minor league living conditions?

Yes but nobody heard it, including you.

1 hour ago, eligrba said:

Have any current major league players spoken about this or provided any support for changing the minor league living conditions?

With pretty much every bargaining they have done with MLB they have shit on minor leaguers for their own benefit.   I think they view it as a rite of passage.   

14 hours ago, eligrba said:

How much different is this issue and how student athletes are exploited by the NCAA profit machine?

Sadly, this may be worse than exploited college athletes. 

1) NCAA players get to pick where they play. MiLB (and MLB players for that matter) are assigned where they play

2) NCAA players are housed, fed, and provided an education which is worth more than what MiLB players are paid (salary, not signing bonus)

3) NCAA players can transfer. You don't like the situation at school one, you can move to school two. MiLB can't change teams.

This isn't true for all athletes and all sports. Baseball players on partial scholarships aren't in as good a situation as football or basketball players, obviously. 

Also, there are certainly advantages to MiLB. If you are drafted early, you get a signing bonus. (NIL rules may mitigate these advantages going forward). And coaches in the minor leagues are trying to develop players and not win at all costs. Pitchers don't throw 130 pitches in a game or 250 in a week in the minors. Hitters aren't bunting every 5th PA, etc. 

3 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

Sadly, this may be worse than exploited college athletes. 

1) NCAA players get to pick where they play. MiLB (and MLB players for that matter) are assigned where they play

2) NCAA players are housed, fed, and provided an education which is worth more than what MiLB players are paid (salary, not signing bonus)

3) NCAA players can transfer. You don't like the situation at school one, you can move to school two. MiLB can't change teams.

This isn't true for all athletes and all sports. Baseball players on partial scholarships aren't in as good a situation as football or basketball players, obviously. 

Also, there are certainly advantages to MiLB. If you are drafted early, you get a signing bonus. (NIL rules may mitigate these advantages going forward). And coaches in the minor leagues are trying to develop players and not win at all costs. Pitchers don't throw 130 pitches in a game or 250 in a week in the minors. Hitters aren't bunting every 5th PA, etc. 

Complaining Reservoir Dogs GIF

The delusion that these guys are victims and suffering continues. . . 

Minor league baseball players spend basically all day at the ballpark.

This is exactly why they have no need for anything more than sharing an apartment with other minor leaguers.

And again all the people upset over their income/living situation I guess are going to keep deliberately ignoring that lots of these guys got signing bonuses that they could choose to spend on better housing.

Most choose to save that money and choose the roommate situation.

That is their decision and my opinion is it is a good decision so they can save more for the future.

12 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

The delusion that these guys are victims and suffering continues. . . 

Minor league baseball players spend basically all day at the ballpark.

This is exactly why they have no need for anything more than sharing an apartment with other minor leaguers.

And again all the people upset over their income/living situation I guess are going to keep deliberately ignoring that lots of these guys got signing bonuses that they could choose to spend on better housing.

Most choose to save that money and choose the roommate situation.

That is their decision and my opinion is it is a good decision so they can save more for the future.

Then pay them for their time there! 

"These guys work hard all day, we shouldn't pay them. What use would they have for money when they spend all day at work?"

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think these guys work such long hours that they don't need money is a persuasive argument that the system isn't exploitative.

17 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

"These guys work hard all day, we shouldn't pay them. What use would they have for money when they spend all day at work?"

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think these guys work such long hours that they don't need money is a persuasive argument that the system isn't exploitative.

They do.  Remember when they got drafted and they negotiated how much they would accept to sign and become a minor leaguer?

3 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

They do.  Remember when they got drafted and they negotiated how much they would accept to sign and become a minor leaguer?

They definitely had the option to negotiate better terms but chose the monastic route of living at the poverty lone.

17 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Slaves also had roofs over their head and three meals a day.

Correct.  That’s why the issue of slavery for clear thinking people is about lack of freedom and abuse, not that they lacked shelter and food.

Remember this all began with the outrage that minor leaguers slept on twin mattresses, had roommates, and ate Taco Bell.

Those are stupid complaints.

4 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Remember this all began with the outrage that minor leaguers slept on twin mattresses, had roommates, and ate Taco Bell.

That's literally my freshman year of college. But I was getting an education at the same time. I wasn't a professional working a professional job.

38 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Correct.  That’s why the issue of slavery for clear thinking people is about lack of freedom and abuse, not that they lacked shelter and food.

Wait, are you actually defending slavery? It was fine except for the lashings and that they couldn't choose their masters?

1 hour ago, eaterfan said:

MLB arranged to be exempt from federal minimum wage requirements.  The owners don't have to pay the players because they paid their legislators.