• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels minor leaguers blast Arte Moreno for terrible living conditions

mmc

4 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

Its about (as AO is the first to point out) this organization doesn't set up its players to succeed. Training, nutrition, sleep.  Good organizations set their players up to succeed by providing the right things.

I think we all agree to this idea.

4 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

Nobody cares about how some of you walked uphill in the snow to and from school, and you had two jobs, grandpas.

How old were you when you lived independently without any financial help?  I think those are the stories you hear about what people needed to do to make ends meet.  If this does not represent your narrative or life experience, consider yourself fortunate.

11 minutes ago, eligrba said:

No.  What has it been?

MAYBE one percent. Rates 'caught fire' a couple years ago, and got up to 2%-ish

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/DTB3

Current savings rate at Bank of America for something called a Platinum Rate is .03%

https://www.bankrate.com/banking/savings/bank-of-america-savings-rates/

You can compound any way you like, $400,000 (and he never ever had $400,000 - after taxes and agents, he probably had closer to $275k) - anyway, even at the mythical $400,000, he will earn $120 this year.  Before taxes.

2 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

MAYBE one percent. Rates 'caught fire' a couple years ago, and got up to 2%-ish

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/DTB3

Current savings rate at Bank of America for something called a Platinum Rate is .03%

https://www.bankrate.com/banking/savings/bank-of-america-savings-rates/

You can compound any way you like, $400,000 (and he never ever had $400,000 - after taxes and agents, he probably had closer to $275k) - anyway, even at the mythical $400,000, he will earn $120 this year.  Before taxes.

That's terrible.  I am glad I am using buried coffee cans to keep my money.

17 minutes ago, eligrba said:

I think we all agree to this idea.

How old were you when you lived independently without any financial help?  I think those are the stories you hear about what people needed to do to make ends meet.  If this does not represent your narrative or life experience, consider yourself fortunate.

I have a bootstraps story that rivals any here.  I consider it poor form to use this board as a bragging point.  And it was so much easier 35 years ago to be financially independent than it is for young people today.

NONE of the bootstrap stories here are relevant.  This whole thread should be about what the Angels are not doing to put their players in a position to succeed.  It's pathetic.

Just now, yk9001 said:

I lived it 35 years ago, and see what my young adult kids face today.

Look at your rent/mortgage as a percent of your income from 1987, and look at it today.  That's as good a starting point as any.  Then get back to me.

Sounds like you are part of the real greatest generation.  I am humbled.

Just now, yk9001 said:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/story/2021-07-23/angels-minor-leaguers-housing-advocacy-group

Angels general manager Perry Minasian released a statement Friday afternoon vowing to address the situation.

“What is being reported is unacceptable, and we will look into it and address it,” Minasian said.

What a great organization.

I hope they include cooking classes.

9 hours ago, ukyah said:

since when is an employee voicing his displeasure the equivalent of "whining"? do they not have the right to stand up for their own self interests as you are applauding arte or the ceo at your job for?

there's this weird thinking in america that if you don't just tough it out and take what they give you, then you're a malcontent.

Its whining because they should know what they're getting themselves into when they sign an employment contract. Signing the contract and then bitching that you don't like the terms is the definition of a whiner. It's a principle thing. Has nothing to do with "tough it out and take what they give you." You're taking what you agreed to receive.

I wonder how many Dominican or Cuban players are complaining. I'm guessing it's either significantly less or zero.

I wouldn't have an issue of course if the minor leaguers were taken better care of. In fact it's almost certainly the right decision for the health of the franchise. But some players acting like they've been cheated aren't living in reality.

This may have already been mentioned, but if I hear Bachman complain about living conditions and nutritional needs not being met after just signing for close to 4 million..Im going to lose my shit!

Yes, I realize they all dont receive that large of a bonus.

29 minutes ago, Lou said:

I wonder what model of car Breedlove (i like this better) purchased when he got his signing bonus. I'm going with Escalade. 

And a sweet watch, too. 

Oh, and kicks. Dope kicks. 

New balance?

1 hour ago, yk9001 said:

I have a bootstraps story that rivals any here.  I consider it poor form to use this board as a bragging point.  And it was so much easier 35 years ago to be financially independent than it is for young people today.

NONE of the bootstrap stories here are relevant.  This whole thread should be about what the Angels are not doing to put their players in a position to succeed.  It's pathetic.

Actually the whole thread is about minor leaguers complaining about being given gigantic chunks of money, having roommates, and going to Taco Bell instead of buying carrots.

And people citing what they did isn’t bragging it is simply showing how ridiculous what these player complaints are compared to what normal people do when they are young getting started in whatever they do.

Edited by Dtwncbad

2 hours ago, True Grich said:

If you're a baseball player who has been toiling around the minor leagues for several years, you should probably re-evaluate your career choice.  Giving up on a dream is hard for some, but that's what adults have to do some times.

I dont want to sound like Im blaming the guys, but I agree with this fully. Forget baseball.

"Actress". "Comic". "Model". Etc etc. I bartended with plenty of those. Too many of them didnt accept reality (though plenty of them had an appearance on a reality show, funny enough) before it was too late. Then they hit 30 with no career.

The gamble is that if youre lucky, and you make it, youll be rich beyond any normal persons imagination. And famous. Thats alluring. 

But to me, once you hit your mid 20s, youre in the 4th quarter, so to speak. Better start considering something else if it hasnt happened yet.

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

The only point to look at in this thread is comparing how the Halos develop their players compared to other orgs.

But I think its not just the Angels. And Im not saying that to defend the team. I think its pretty widespread. 

Ill reach out to some guys I know and get their take.

5 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

But to me, once you hit your mid 20s, youre in the 4th quarter, so to speak. Better start considering something else if it hasnt happened yet.

I have no doubt that Breedlove was only a supply of turkey club sandwiches and a Sealy Posturpedic away from being a sold major leaguer.