• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels minor leaguers blast Arte Moreno for terrible living conditions

mmc

5 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

FWIW, Ive spoken to 3 today about this article. All 3 said this is league wide, not an Angels thing.

4 minutes ago, Lou said:

Thanks, Arte!

The articles that I've read recently have all mentioned that it's an issue in most organizations, but that the Angels seem to be one of the worst. 

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

The articles that I've read recently have all mentioned that it's an issue in most organizations, but that the Angels seem to be one of the worst. 

But not necessarily the worst.

Thanks, Arte!

2 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

You do understand that the Angels are responsible for paying all of the players on all of the minor league clubs and that none of the players are the financial obligations of the affiliates in any way, right?  And that the affiliates basically only handle the operations and marketing?  I can't tell if you're just ignorant or if you're intentionally ignoring the obvious facts in order to try to stir something up.

My vote is that he is ignorant.

Something else to consider here. The reality is something like 99 percent of these guys will never make it. So you have to factor in how much money is wasted on MiLB'ers. The main guy in this article, if hes never made the big club, what do the Angels get for the return on that investment.

The other thing I thought of, and one of my buddies pointed out, is that if you took care of these guys at too low a level, how hard are they gonna push to advance? If you could make a nice middle class living in A ball, and you werent an actual prospect... how much extra work would you put in to move up the ladder?

Like Happy Gilmore figuring out laat place still pays money

If I had the opportunity to chase the dream of becoming a professional MLB player, I would be happy sleeping in the dugout and eating leftover hotdogs.

I might even rake the field after games.

On the flip side off the coin if there is any veracity to this dudes story than there is a issue.

I really don't see anything egregious here though.

I'm sure basic housing is being provided, they're being paid a modest income, per diem, and Im sure have a lot of other perks....gyms,gear,etc.

A lot of them have received substantial signing bonuses to chase a dream that could pay off BIG in more ways than one.

With that said its not good optics for Arte and this organization and could have future repercussions regarding signability.

Just now, ten ocho recon scout said:

Something else to consider here. The reality is something like 99 percent of these guys will never make it. So you have to factor in how much money is wasted on MiLB'ers. The main guy in this article, if hes never made the big club, what do the Angels get for the return on that investment.

The other thing I thought of, and one of my buddies pointed out, is that if you took care of these guys at too low a level, how hard are they gonna push to advance? If you could make a nice middle class living in A ball, and you werent an actual prospect... how much extra work would you put in to move up the ladder?

Serious question...

Is there a movie you haven't seen?

2 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

You do understand that the Angels are responsible for paying all of the players on all of the minor league clubs and that none of the players are the financial obligations of the affiliates in any way, right?  And that the affiliates basically only handle the operations and marketing?  I can't tell if you're just ignorant or if you're intentionally ignoring the obvious facts in order to try to stir something up.

2 minutes ago, Angels Fan Forever said:

My vote is that he is ignorant.

1 minute ago, Lou said:

That wasn't one of the choices. 

3 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

FWIW, Ive spoken to 3 today about this article. All 3 said this is league wide, not an Angels thing.

Not league wide. The Angels are not competing with their competitors.

"Cleveland redid their entire weight room, providing three meals a day. They were flying guys out," Lovegrove said. "They were giving a lot of players, not just their top prospects, the opportunity to seriously improve themselves under the eye of the organization, and in doing so, I think they produced significantly better players than they would have had their system operated like the Angels."

"Teams across baseball are making changes to their minor league systems, including the Giants, Boston Red Sox and New York Mets. The Giants previously were not paying salaries to players in extended spring training before changing their tune in June, according to SFGATE. The Red Sox are now offering additional benefits to minor leaguers, including extended spring training back pay and housing stipends retroactive to early May. The Mets joined 12 other teams in baseball in paying extended spring training players."

There is also the Mets pitching academy that someone posted earlier. The Angels are not competitive. Maybe Minasian has the juice to change the culture Arte has created. Maybe not.

7 minutes ago, Lou said:

Serious question...

Is there a movie you haven't seen?

Kinda like giving players 38 mill a year for 7 years. Where is the incentive to work hard and produce. You will get your money no matter what. Providing housing and maybe little food money for minor league players how much would it cost. Making 1100 a month is a good living at class A ball?

4 hours ago, Dochalo said:

This is just another opportunity missed.  Of course the org knows the conditions for these guys and it's disingenuous for them to claim otherwise.  Granted they are under no obligation to do anything and minor leaguers should and do know that a lot of this is part and parcel with being a minor leaguer yet it sure would be great to hear about how the org help manage their day to day in terms of their regiment.  

Kind of like how under Stoneman they had a person tasked with teaching the Latin American players how to open bank accounts, gave them English classes, connected them with Latino communities and helped the get drivers licences?  They didn't need to do any of those things but they did because they wanted to make the transition to living in the US as easy as possible.

They used to do a lot a better job of this, it all seems to have gone to shit after the purge in 2012.

Just now, Angels 1961 said:

Kinda like giving players 38 mill a year for 7 years. Where is the incentive to work hard and produce. You will get your money no matter what. Providing housing and maybe little food money for minor league players how much would it cost. Making 1100 a month is a good living at class A ball?

Are you drunk?

Asking for the board.

21 minutes ago, eligrba said:

quiet GIF by Captain Obvious

13 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Kinda like paying some player 38 mill a year for 7 years. Where will his incentive be to work hard and produce. He will get that money no matter what he hits.

Just now, Inside Pitch said:

Kind of like how under Stoneman they had a person tasked with teaching the Latin American players how to open bank accounts, gave them English classes, connected them with Latino communities and helped the get drivers licences?  They didn't need to do any of those things but they did because they wanted to make the transition to living in the US as easy as possible.

They used to do a lot a better job if this, it all seems to have gone to shit after the purge in 2012.

Aren't all of the players who are complaining white?

Hmmm...

15 minutes ago, REDneck said:

I'm sure basic housing is being provided, they're being paid a modest income, per diem, and Im sure have a lot of other perks....gyms,gear,etc.

A lot of them have received substantial signing bonuses

This isn’t true, and that’s why it’s an issue. 

I think - no, I pretty much know -  that there’s a huge discrepancy in what people think MILBers are asking for and what they currently have. 

Conditions can be improved across almost all orgs without 1) breaking the bank or 2) ‘spoiling’ ballplayers into a level of comfort or where the return on an MLB orgs investment aren’t worth it

Edited by totdprods

33 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I could see it. Ive heard MLBrs complain about the big league angels in the past, too

But, to be fair, they were comparing them to the yankees. 

Oakland for example probably does their big league club like we do our AAA one, per diem wise