• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels minor leaguers blast Arte Moreno for terrible living conditions

mmc

5 minutes ago, totdprods said:

This isn’t true, and that’s why it’s an issue. 

I think - no, I pretty much know -  that there’s a huge discrepancy in what people think MILBers are asking for and what they currently have. 

Conditions can be improved across almost all orgs without 1) breaking the bank or 2) ‘spoiling’ ballplayers into a level of comfort or where the return on an MLB orgs investment aren’t worth it

What's not true?

I may have been mistaken thinking their housing is taken care of???

Is it?

Still not a lot of sympathy, these are young guys chasing a dream with a potential huge payoff...pay the dues man.

If it doesn't work out for you then move on.

1 minute ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I literally saw Jurassic Park for the first time 3 weeks ago.

Shit the bed on that one. But aside from that, i think every movie in the 80s to mid 90s. Including Burglar, with whoopie goldberg, and Cocoon 2

I honestly had no idea there was more than 1 Jurassic Park.

2 minutes ago, Lou said:

Aren't all of the players who are complaining white?

Hmmm...

Yes, but it's an example of things they didn't need to do but used to do to try to make life easier for players in the organization.

Lou, I get the point you and others are trying to make and its likely naive on my part but ultimately I want to believe the Angels are making every effort to build an organization and create culture.  If what's being reported is true, then they are failing and actually pushing guys away.  We constantly hear how guys love playing for the team at the MLB level, Cobb being a recent example.  I don't think it would take a lot to block out motels for 5 months if nothing else.

They can do better regardless of what is required of them.  

29 minutes ago, Angels Fan Forever said:

Not league wide. The Angels are not competing with their competitors.

"Cleveland redid their entire weight room, providing three meals a day. They were flying guys out," Lovegrove said. "They were giving a lot of players, not just their top prospects, the opportunity to seriously improve themselves under the eye of the organization, and in doing so, I think they produced significantly better players than they would have had their system operated like the Angels."

"Teams across baseball are making changes to their minor league systems, including the Giants, Boston Red Sox and New York Mets. The Giants previously were not paying salaries to players in extended spring training before changing their tune in June, according to SFGATE. The Red Sox are now offering additional benefits to minor leaguers, including extended spring training back pay and housing stipends retroactive to early May. The Mets joined 12 other teams in baseball in paying extended spring training players."

There is also the Mets pitching academy that someone posted earlier. The Angels are not competitive. Maybe Minasian has the juice to change the culture Arte has created. Maybe not.

Funny enough, 2 of the guys I talked to today were from Boston and SF

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

Yes, but it's an example of things they didn't need to do but used to do to try to make life easier for players in the organization.

Lou, I get the point you and others are trying to make and its likely naive on my part but ultimately I want to believe the Angels are making every effort to build an organization and create culture.  If what's being reported is true, then they are failing and actually pushing guys away.  We constantly hear how guys love playing for the team at the MLB level, Cobb being a recent example.  I don't think it would take a lot to block out motels for 5 months if nothing else.

They can do better regardless of what is required of them.  

Yeah, while i don't care, i wouldn't have any problem with this. 

4 minutes ago, REDneck said:

What's not true?

Is it?

Still not a lot of sympathy, these are young guys chasing a dream with a potential huge payoff...pay the dues man.

When they're traveling, the organization pays for hotels. When they're at home, it's up to the players to find and pay for their own housing.

2 hours ago, St1ck said:

These guys are basically practice squad signings to fill out minor league rosters so they can develop the players with actual talent to make it a career. 

2 hours ago, Lou said:

Bingo. 

They're guide horses.

This is exactly what they are...   And it's not new.  It's good its being talked about but none of this is new.   

But IMO this is one of those times where it's less important whether it's been normal as it is whether or not its particularly right or not.

I want the Angels to do better because I want to like them.

3 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Its because the first one left too many questions. And that guttenberg was so hot at the time. As was wilford brimley

On 7/30/2018 at 11:07 AM, Lou said:

MI Fun Fact of the Day:

Tom Cruise is 5 years older than Wilford Brimley was when he made Cocoon

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Are we comparing being a minor leaguer to other young adult occupations?  I highly doubt a minor leaguer can have a second job during the season.  They can have multiple jobs in the off season, which is five months, but my understanding is their season starts in mid February for spring training and they start to get paid in late April or May.  

They only get paid while the games are going on..  So, 5 months out of the year.

6 minutes ago, Lou said:

Hey, I've been to Mobile and you're wrong.

They don't say boy. 

During my first and only trip to Mobile (which was also my first time on an airplane), Alex Trebek slammed into me while I was leaning on a railing on the 6th floor of a hotel, looking down into the lobby. I started to tip over before I grabbed the rail and held on. Trebek almost killed me.  Didn't apologize. Just kept going. True story.

Edited by jsnpritchett

12 minutes ago, REDneck said:

What's not true?

Is it?

It isn’t. And there’s also a spectrum across teams, across leagues, as to what is provided. 

And there is a spectrum for what can be improved. There can be a difference between paying dues and being in conditions that wind up being counterproductive.

Can things be exaggerated? Sure. Can they ask for more than they really need? Sure. But that’s part of negotiating. 

I feel in most of these examples it’s less about orgs being negligent and more likely they’ve become unaware at how the gap has grown between ‘paying due’ poor and borderline negligent poor, and that’s being highlighted and exposed more often now.

This is a classic example of where a little can go a long, long way and any team should find a way to improve *any* part of these conditions as it will only be a win in terms of PR, player comfort, competitive advantage, etc.

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

During my first and only trip to Mobile (which was also my first time on an airplane), Alex Trebek slammed into me while I was leaning on a railing on the 6th floor of a hotel, looking down into the lobby. I started to tip over before I grabbed the rail and held on. Trebek almost killed me.  Didn't apologize. Just kept going. True story.

Did you say: " What is....your problem"?

Get it?