• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels minor leaguers blast Arte Moreno for terrible living conditions

mmc

4 hours ago, Dochalo said:

This is just another opportunity missed.  Of course the org knows the conditions for these guys and it's disingenuous for them to claim otherwise.  Granted they are under no obligation to do anything and minor leaguers should and do know that a lot of this is part and parcel with being a minor leaguer yet it sure would be great to hear about how the org help manage their day to day in terms of their regiment.  

Even if they were given an option to opt into a housing and meal plan that was made available or at least something more thoughtful that could go into the development process.   Even though they don't have to it's yet another thing that could lend to just a better and more fruitful process.  

The priorities for this org often leave me scratching my head.  

It’s like there’s little baseball sense, and mainly marketing sense.

12 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

When they're traveling, the organization pays for hotels. When they're at home, it's up to the players to find and pay for their own housing.

Ok.

Makes sense and a difference.

Still doesn't sound any worse than college and in many ways better!

These are young guys chasing a dream for the most part..I know there are some older guys still in MILB still hanging onto to hope.

I'm sure they're doing just fine and if it doesn't end up working out for them then they go and sell cars.

But I bet they had a blast chasing their dream.

Come on guys this isn't abject poverty like a lot of the world lives in.

Moving this here from another thread.

4 hours ago, DCAngelsFan said:

You could pay a 20-year-old a $1m a year and they'd still eat at Taco Bell - hell, I've had some late-night only-thing-still-open Taco Bell stale tacos ... 

But yeah, this could easily have gone into that other thread as a counter-point  😕  

To clarify my take here. The Angels should absolutely improve some things, and see if that leads to more success.

At the same time. The failed minor leaguer who was given 400K as a teen for throwing a ball, and having to live with roommates in his early 20s is kind of a bitch for complaining about his mental health because of it.

Like anything in life, theres two sides.

38 minutes ago, totdprods said:

It isn’t. And there’s also a spectrum across teams, across leagues, as to what is provided. 

And there is a spectrum for what can be improved. There can be a difference between paying dues and being in conditions that wind up being counterproductive.

Can things be exaggerated? Sure. Can they ask for more than they really need? Sure. But that’s part of negotiating. 

I feel in most of these examples it’s less about orgs being negligent and more likely they’ve become unaware at how the gap has grown between ‘paying due’ poor and borderline negligent poor, and that’s being highlighted and exposed more often now.

This is a classic example of where a little can go a long, long way and any team should find a way to improve *any* part of these conditions as it will only be a win in terms of PR, player comfort, competitive advantage, etc.

I agree that anything that is counterproductive to the development of these organizational investments and assets is probably not wise.

Hate to make these guys sound like objects , but that's exactly what they are to the organization.

That's just life man.

It just all sounds kinda soft to me...Im sure these guys are not living in abject poverty.

If they don't like it I will trade with them.

18 hours ago, NrM said:

Shane Kelso -- who spent part of the 2021 season with the Low-A Inland Empire 66ers, another Angels affiliate, before retiring due to the living conditions for players -- said four teammates bunked in a camper van in a trailer park while others lived out of cars.
"It's gotten to the point now where there are guys who are in a serious mental health crisis because of how stressful money is here,"

Fuck Arte Moreno. All my homies hate Arte Moreno.

This is interesting...it's not that I have sympathy because I lived the same way or worse from time to time when I was young.

And had a blast!!

But it does sound detrimental to a individual that you want to develop.

14 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

It's not just the Angels it's pretty much baseball history.  People have always been ignorant of what these guys go through to get to where they are, it's even worse for the kids from Latin America.  People have just always glossed over it or don't realize that players have no other options while under team control, they can't just up and take their act elsewhere, their only options are quit and move on or make it work.

Look no further than what teams are doing with draft bonuses even now.  You have guys being drafted and then being signed for 1k because of team control.  Meanwhile they'd be able to shop themselves to the highest bidder had they not been drafted.  It's kind of twisted but while everyone will focus their ire on owners it's not like the players at the highest level are free of blame.  They all went through it, they also have never done anything to make it better for those guys -- it's just always been viewed as part of the gig, the price you pay to make millions later.

It's good to see that a lot of the forward thinking teams have changed how the do business, it's crazy that a team known for penny pinching like Cleveland is among those willing to spend more but it makes the most sense -- they are investing in their future by trying to maximize their chances, it's really annoying to see the Angels failing here.

The easiest route would be to establish minimum living standards across baseball.  Something like that might actually serve to level the playing field to a degree, but it's unlikely it happens without outside pressure.  This is particularly true after MLB's takeover of minor league baseball.

This was a pretty good piece on the subject https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28702734/mlb-raising-minimum-salary-minor-leaguers-2021

Great post as usual!