• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Well-paid ESPN Idiot says Ohtani bad for baseball because he needs an interpreter

yk9001

2 hours ago, SurfWriter said:

Since someone mentioned that Jeff Passan is appearing on the "First Take" show Tuesday, I sent a couple of tweets to Passan to encourage him to challenge Stephen A Smith and the others on ESPN shows to start highlighting the historical nature of what Ohtani is doing and the fascinating story that Ohtani the person is.  This is the gist of what I wrote to Passan:

In your appearance on First Take, I hope you'll make the point that SAS and others should give more coverage to Ohtani and start by actually watching him live pitching and hitting.

It's insulting to have Ohtani mentioned as the modern day Babe Ruth by people who haven't even bothered to watch him in a game or invited knowledgeable MLB folks on the show to analyze what Ohtani is doing that is so remarkable.

Looks like Passan took your advice. He wrote a nice piece about Ohtani.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/page/mlbmain-howshoheiohtani/how-shohei-ohtani-won-night-winning-home-run-derby

6 hours ago, failos said:

Looks like Passan took your advice. He wrote a nice piece about Ohtani.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/page/mlbmain-howshoheiohtani/how-shohei-ohtani-won-night-winning-home-run-derby

Definitely not the first time Passan has written about Ohtani.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/verdict-shohei-ohtanis-bat-not-good-023611674.html

44 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

Definitely not the first time Passan has written about Ohtani.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/verdict-shohei-ohtanis-bat-not-good-023611674.html

Passan discussed this article on First Take today. 

He wrote this in March of 2018, before Ohtani's first season in MLB. It is based on his conversations with scouts. He admitted he got it wrong and apologized back then.

The takeaway should be how the old school baseball establishment got it wrong. 

18 hours ago, cals said:

Not really.  I love Ohtani.  He’s trying to learn English.  There is not reason to criticize him, except blacks lose their shit over Asians.  That’s why they knock out asian grandmas on the street.  This comes from the same place.

Is this all blacks? 

18 hours ago, cals said:

Not really.  I love Ohtani.  He’s trying to learn English.  There is not reason to criticize him, except blacks lose their shit over Asians.  That’s why they knock out asian grandmas on the street.  This comes from the same place.

Lot of right right wackos also lose their shit over the Asian flu

I feel like for some reason, black people can’t stand it when an Asian succeeds, especially in sports.

I felt this strongly when Jeremy Lin had his moment in the NBA.

Looking from outside, appreciating foreign things and embracing it is a thing the US should be proud about. And I would say Ohtani’s nationality is actually helping him more than hurts his popularity. 

I also don’t think StephenA is this stupid, he was jealous and itching so bad to discredit Ohtani. When that’s your motive, you say the dumbest things. Smith spoke his heart on this, he can’t stand it when an Asian dominates sports coverage.

I don't understand a lot of this. The mlb fails at marketing angle....  the more Stephen A Smith talks about baseball, the more they'll want to watch...  

Mlb "markets" the heck out of Ohtani by posting a ton on social media about him.  Every time he hits a home run. Every time he does something nobody's ever done.

Would it be "better" for the sport in the US market if he did interviews in English and maybe a commercial or two?  

It's the Mike Trout thing all over again, with a twist.  Yeah, you could do more, but they don't want to. Get over it.

14 minutes ago, SurfWriter said:

Wow.  Even though I was half-joking (which you obviously didn't perceive), you managed to demonstrate the low level of some posts here.  So thanks for reinforcing that point. 

Are you actually a writer? You really suck at it.