• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Well-paid ESPN Idiot says Ohtani bad for baseball because he needs an interpreter

yk9001

Just now, Angelsjunky said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he loses his job over this, or at least has a stern talking to.

He's gonna get a raise if anything. What network is hosting the HR Derby tonight again? Who is the big name in said derby? Oh right

Stephen A doing his part to get more conversation going around Ohtani right before he's set to hit nukes on the network he works for later tonight.

He crossed the line from "contrarian" to "full-on-idiot" with this take

I dunno - I guess some non-baseball fans might want to push back against his exposure, (and Yankees fans might still have a case of the ass, since they still seem to think they deserved him, somehow)

But what Ohtani is doing isn't qualified - he's not some sideshow act like "he's great -- for a Japanese player" - what he's doing is simply phenomenal and historic and if you can't admire what he's doing and the way he's doing it, you're just not even a baseball fan and should just sit down and shut up.

as far as what was said here, keep in mind smith isnt a baseball guy.... so he stupidly doesnt realize theres shit tons of non english speaking players, and have been for years and years

Not to mention the amount of americans who go overseas for sports when they arent good enough to play here.... they dont speak the local language either

He then backtracked and said it's harder to market MLB with them cuz they aren't fluent in English....

My take on this: Having players like Ohtani, Tatis Jr, Guerrero Jr and other non-natives is actually what you need to promote MLB. Baseball will always be popular in the states. It's America's past-time. Americans will get wet over any player and we don't need them to speak. As a culture, Americans are so easily entertained it's amazing. 

You need foreign players to market the game to their native countries. 

Currently, because Ohtani is having a monster year, attendance of Japanese people at Angel Stadium are on a huge rise and the Japanese Media is Ohtani crazy. This is exactly what is needed to grow MLB. 

The ESPN guy to say that is out of sync with the sport. Ohtani leading the way turns the heads of Americans, but now you have people from Japan turning their TVs on in the middle of the day just to watch what Ohtani does next. 

Once he clarified his statement, I understood what he was saying, and he's not wrong.

But during the segment, holy frick that came out bad. But watch the clarification video he provided. I don't think he meant to be xenophobic at all. 

It's Stephen A Smith. He says stupid stuff all the time, and he gets clicks. I think once you realize that, it's easier just to ignore him or at the very least, take what he says with a grain of salt. To get bent out of shape over this is just folks looking to be offended by something. 

Just now, angelsnationtalk said:

He then backtracked and said it's harder to market MLB with them cuz they aren't fluent in English....

My take on this: Having players like Ohtani, Tatis Jr, Guerrero Jr and other non-natives is actually what you need to promote MLB. Baseball will always be popular in the states. It's America's past-time. Americans will get wet over any player and we don't need them to speak. As a culture, Americans are so easily entertained it's amazing. 

You need foreign players to market the game to their native countries. 

Currently, because Ohtani is having a monster year, attendance of Japanese people at Angel Stadium are on a huge rise and the Japanese Media is Ohtani crazy. This is exactly what is needed to grow MLB. 

The ESPN guy to say that is out of sync with the sport. Ohtani leading the way turns the heads of Americans, but now you have people from Japan turning their TVs on in the middle of the day just to watch what Ohtani does next. 

I agree completely. To ensure the future of the game, they need foreign born stars because the viewership in the US is generally people aged 40-70. Going abroad is good for the game, and again, Stephen A Smith is just doing what he does on a normal basis. No use in getting upset.