• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2021 MLB draft thread

6 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

MLB.com said he missed 2 starts this year with a "tired arm."

Most of what I read had to do x with little stuff, a minute calf injury here, rolled ankle there. But tired arm is legit, it happened to everyone and has less to do with structure or even injury and more to do with conditioning. Guys that throws less in the off season tend to get it in March, a month or so into Spring. 

2 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Most of what I read had to do x with little stuff, a minute calf injury here, rolled ankle there. But tired arm is legit, it happened to everyone and has less to do with structure or even injury and more to do with conditioning. Guys that throws less in the off season tend to get it in March, a month or so into Spring. 

Shoulder soreness was in there as well

3 minutes ago, failos said:

Good to hear he has upside; that is reassuring. I don’t follow prospects/drafts like you, doc, Scotty, & totdprods—so my comments are mostly reactionary and based on some basic research. I just know that Rocker was a top pick with a history of injuries but someone who could potentially play in the show ASAP.

I like Scotty, but he tends to be wrong when it comes to scouting/predictions, so I’m concerned.

Hopefully this pick works out, though. I’m not just here for the lulz.

My track record with prospects is better than it is with major leaguers. But I get your point. 

1 minute ago, ettin said:

@Inside Pitch I wonder if this pick is a product of the Angels expulsion of scouting months ago in favor of video/statcast-type data? Or maybe I am off-base here?

No clue.   But with fewer bodies out there, there was likely a greater reliance on data.   A lot of info is shared now through MLB too.

13 minutes ago, ettin said:

@Inside Pitch I wonder if this pick is a product of the Angels expulsion of scouting months ago in favor of video/statcast-type data? Or maybe I am off-base here?

from BBA...

The 6-foot-1 righty has the second-best RapScore (62) of any pitcher currently ranked in the BA 500. RapScore is Rapsodo’s method of taking the data and insights it collects, then translating it into the 20-80 baseball scouting scale. For pitchers, a Rapscore is ultimately boiled down to three sectors: A pitcher’s velocity, horizontal break and vertical break. The RapScore weighs each of the pitches, but the fastball and best secondary pitch carry the largest weight in the score. 

According to Rapsodo’s data, what’s unique about Bachman’s upper-90s fastball, which has drawn plus grades from evaluators, is how he throws it.

"He actually throws (his fastball) around two o'clock (on the spin axis), which is more on the side of it than then most people would throw it, especially at that velocity,” Rapsodo analytics manager Nick Rossini said on the latest Baseball America tech & baseball podcast.

“And he's like a three-quarters (release point). He throws that pitch in a very interesting spot. He gets a ton of horizontal break on it. You wouldn't normally see that. Most fastballs are mostly vertical break, but he actually has a lot of horizontal and vertical break. And he also throws it at super high efficiency.”

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

from BBA...

The 6-foot-1 righty has the second-best RapScore (62) of any pitcher currently ranked in the BA 500. RapScore is Rapsodo’s method of taking the data and insights it collects, then translating it into the 20-80 baseball scouting scale. For pitchers, a Rapscore is ultimately boiled down to three sectors: A pitcher’s velocity, horizontal break and vertical break. The RapScore weighs each of the pitches, but the fastball and best secondary pitch carry the largest weight in the score. 

According to Rapsodo’s data, what’s unique about Bachman’s upper-90s fastball, which has drawn plus grades from evaluators, is how he throws it.

"He actually throws (his fastball) around two o'clock (on the spin axis), which is more on the side of it than then most people would throw it, especially at that velocity,” Rapsodo analytics manager Nick Rossini said on the latest Baseball America tech & baseball podcast.

“And he's like a three-quarters (release point). He throws that pitch in a very interesting spot. He gets a ton of horizontal break on it. You wouldn't normally see that. Most fastballs are mostly vertical break, but he actually has a lot of horizontal and vertical break. And he also throws it at super high efficiency.”

The more I hear about him the more I like this pick.