• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2021 MLB draft thread

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Lol everyone wanted them to draft a pitcher because we need pitching ASAP and they draft the most MLB-ready pitcher in the entire class and people complain because he wasn’t the big name. Love this place.

The pick is fine. It’s rounds 2-10 that really matter.

Main thing is needs to stay healthy, and based on missing several starts, that is a worry.

Without that, he may have been closer to top 5.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Here's the MLB.com blurb about Bachman:

"Miami (Ohio) has produced 13 big league pitchers (most notably Charlie Leibrandt) as well as Bill Doran, Adam Eaton and Tim Naehring via the Draft, but it's Bachman who should become its first-ever first-round pick. An immediate starter as a freshman in 2019, he kicked his stuff up a notch in the Grand Park Summer League after the coronavirus shutdown and then again during fall practice. Some scouts have given top-of-the-scale grades to both his fastball and spring, when he ranked second in NCAA Division I in WHIP (0.77) and fourth in hits per nine innings (4.4). 

After working at 91-94 mph for much of his first two college seasons, Bachman now sits at 94-97 and hits 101 with plenty of armside run and sink. His slider also has gained more power, operating in the mid-80s with nastier bite and destroys left-handers and right-handers alike. His deceptive, heavy changeup in the mid-80s gives him at least a solid third offering. 

Bachman averaged 4.1 walks per nine innings during his first two college seasons but is providing more consistent strikes after improving his conditioning and athleticism during his layoff. He does come with some reliever risk because he's 6-foot-1 with a short arm action and a low three-quarters arm slot, and he did miss two early-season starts with a tired arm. He's strong and competitive, however, and should remain a starter if his upgraded control and command are for real."

Scouting Grades/Report (20-80 grading scale)

• Fastball
  • Slider
  • Changeup
  • Control
  • Overall

7 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

@Inside Pitch make us feel better right now, if you can

Scotty has talked about him quite a bit.  He's basically got the second best slider in the draft after Jobe, at least on par with Kumar.   Hits upper 90s.   He's had some injury concerns and his third pitch is a work in progress.

Honestly he's basically Rocker light, with some concerns about his command.   The pick is fine.

Just now, Inside Pitch said:

Scotty has talked about him quite a bit.  He's basically got the second best slider in the draft after Jobe, at least on pay with Kumar.   Hits upper 90s.   He's had some injury concerns and his third pitch is a work in progress.

Honestly he's basically Rocker light, with some concerns about his command.   The pick is fine.

Season saved!

I had Rocker above Bachman on my own board, but Bachman is a good pick. The only question here with Sam is if he's a major league closer or a major league ace. There isn't much in between. 

He hits 101 on the gun, sits 97-98, comfortably for 5-ish innings. And there condensed about him being a reliever are overblown because guess what, he's got a killer change up too. He just never needed it.

The biggest question is how many strikes he'll throw, that's really it. 

2 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Pedro was talking about Bachman the other day saying how he needs to change his delivery… curious to see how this pick plays out given who was on the board 

In other words, we'll try to tinker with his mechanics, his ERA will balloon and he'll wallow in the minors for a couple years, then he'll change his mechanics back and be fine

Just now, Second Base said:

I had Rocker above Bachman on my own board, but Bachman is a good pick. The only question here with Sam is if he's a major league closer or a major league ace. There isn't much in between.

I don't follow any of this even 0.001% as much as you do but that's not really something I like to hear about a guy the Angels drafted 9th overall.

Bachman feels pretty similar to choosing Detmers last year. 

Rocker and Bachman probably both have floors as a very solid reliever. Rocker seems like he has a chance to bust a little more and wind up there. Rocker probably has more upside than Bachman if he sticks as a SP, but also seems like he’s likelier to not make it as a SP.

With those comparisons made, it comes to money, and Rocker probably has higher money asks than Bachman. When you need to make the most of every dollar, this makes more sense than Rocker. 

2 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

I don't follow any of this even 0.001% as much as you do but that's not really something I like to hear about a guy the Angels drafted 9th overall.

Yeah I'd prefer something more of a guarantee, and I would've picked Rocker, but to me, is undeniable Sam Bachman has the best stuff in the draft. 

Edited by Second Base