• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Name starters you conclusively want here next year

1 minute ago, Erstad Grit said:

Detmers maybe? Chris Rodriguez if he can't get healthy.

We'll need........yet again.......to look at FA market.

Stroman. Lynn, Scherzer, maybe Bauer opts out. 

I swear any fan here could have fixed the rotation by now.  

So you have a question Mark next to Detmers and you are not sure (another question Mark) about Rodriguez being healthy, then go straight to hoping for help from free agency.

This is at the heart of my question.

How absolutely insane is it if there is only ONE pitcher in the organization that fans can conclusively say they want in the rotation next year?

5 hours ago, Taylor said:

Nobody's answers will be conclusive because they'll be reactionary based on who's hot or struggling on a given day.

This is correct. With that said I wouldn’t lose sleep if all of them, except Ohtani, were on different teams next season. 

Trying to answer this question in a serious manner, obviously Ohtani and Canning are the two starting pieces of the rotation. Detmers, if healthy, would seemingly be in the mix. I’ll give Heaney, Bundy and Cobb another couple months before making up my mind as to any of them.

But any way you look at it, the organization is likely going to need to bring in at least three, but perhaps four starters from outside the organization. That’s a tall order. 

Ohtani - keep

Canning - keep

Heaney - cut 

Bundy - keep at the right price circa $10m - he's OK as a back end starter, but he isn't a no1/no2

Cobb - maybe keep at the right price if Bundy is let go - his FIP is far outperforming his ERA, so I want to see more before deciding

Quintana - cut 

So I'd keep three, Ohtani, Canning and one of Cobb or Bundy depending on how things pan out. 

48 minutes ago, wopphil said:

Trying to answer this question in a serious manner, obviously Ohtani and Canning are the two starting pieces of the rotation. Detmers, if healthy, would seemingly be in the mix. I’ll give Heaney, Bundy and Cobb another couple months before making up my mind as to any of them.

But any way you look at it, the organization is likely going to need to bring in at least three, but perhaps four starters from outside the organization. That’s a tall order. 

I agree with this except for Heaney. He has pitched liked this in a consistent basis. He’s had his chances to prove himself 

10 minutes ago, Toby Flenderson said:

I agree with this except for Heaney. He has pitched liked this in a consistent basis. He’s had his chances to prove himself 

Heaney’s FIP is a whole run better than his ERA, so perhaps he has been a bit unlucky. If the ERA normalizes and he finishes the year with a 4.20 ERA and 165+ innings, I’d be open to bringing him back. 

1 hour ago, wopphil said:

Also, for those who want to shit on Canning, I believe he has accumulated more WAR than any other pick in the 2017 draft thus far (at least he has of anyone in the first ten rounds). 

Something something BPA. 

Ohtani and Canning as of now will be back. Looks like halos will be sellers at deadline so hopefully Bundy, Heaney, Cobb and Quintana pitch better so they have some trade value.Any players traded I hope are for young pitchers. Detmers and Sandoval could be options but are not front end starters halos need. Angels need young studs like Glasnow and Urias or others who could be front of rotation. Until halos get some young pitchers to build on it will same as last 6 years. I know I may sound negative but 2022 with such drastic needs in rotation plus bullpen does not look good. All the money spent and 6 years of under 500 baseball.

8 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Among pitchers currently in the Angels organization, name the ones you conclusively WANT to have a locked down spot in the rotation on opening day next year.

Ohtani.

That’s it for me.  That is scary.

It is considering it is Ohtani's 4th year in MLB and he's pitched a high of 51.2 innings.   

Scarier is that only Ohtani & Canning are signed for next year.  The problem with including the young guys (Rodriguez, Detmer, etc.) is due to CV, those guys have never pitched a 150+ inning year.  Detmer had one year over 56 innings (113 in 2019).  Chris Rodriguez had max of 57 back in 2017.

Season 3 Episode 23 GIF by The Simpsons 

I would love Thor or even Scherzer on a short term deal. 

Canning and Ohtani. C Rod would be great but not counting on him at this point. 

Heaney can fuck off. I’m not a fan of Bundy either and he’s going to want a pay day; but if he wants to come back on a reasonable deal as a back end starter then ok. 

My rotation hopeful for next year would look like this...

In-House: Shohei Ohtani, FA Signing, TRADE or FA Signing, Griffin Canning, Reid Detmers, Chris Rodriguez

Potential Free agent Signing: Scherzer, Stroman, Gausman, Kershaw (stick it to the Dodgers) or Thor (if he holds up this year upon being activated). Others: Anthony DeSclafani, Danny Duffy, Zack Greinke, Robby Ray and Alex Wood.

Potential Trade Targets: Luis Castillo, German Marquez, Shane Bieber, Matthew Boyd, JT Brubaker, Sandy Alcantara.