• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Name starters you conclusively want here next year

Ohtani and Canning are the only two guys who are definitely going to be in the 2022 rotation.

Re-sign the guy among Bundy, Heaney, Cobb and Quintana who combines the best of performance this year and affordability next. If one of them does reasonably well and will take a 1-2 year salary, get that one. At this point we know who Heaney is--an erratic #4 who sometimes looks like a #2-3, but just as often looks like a #4-5. Bundy isn't the guy we hoped he was, but is probably better than his 6.00 ERA...my guess is that he gets it down close to 4.00 by season's end. Cobb seems better than Quintana and could be a nice budget signing. None of them are keepers, though, so it really comes down to how things shake out and what sort of (short) contract they'll accept.

Give starts to Sandoval, Barria, and Suarez, and see if one can hold down a starting job. The other two can be long relief/depth.

See how Detmers does in AA/AAA, then call him up to the majors later in the year. Also, stretch out C Rodriguez and give him a few starts later in the year.

Once all of those questions are answered, then you hit free agency. Assuming Ohtani, Canning, one of the Four Stooges, one of the younger guys, and one of Detmers/CRod, that's five starters. They need to spend money on one of the better starters and probably sign another guy for depth.

14 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

So you do not any ideas. Just stay same course as halos have been doing. Well I'm sick of losing and changes need to happen. 

That has nothing to do with what I posted.

Hope Bundy, Heaney, Quintana or Cobb get hot and build some significant trade value.  

1.  Trade all midyear hoping to get 2 quality prospects each.

2.  Hoping at least one of the GMs your trading with was sharing a crack whore with Hamilton and you end up getting two good starters.

3. Canning, Ohtani,  CRod, Detmer, Barria, Sandival, Suarez,  + a crapshoot of the 8 pitching prospects you recieved from the starters you traded for in July.

There is a lot of sarcasm in this post but also some truth 

10 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Hope Bundy, Heaney, Quintana or Cobb get hot and build some significant trade value.  

1.  Trade all midyear hoping to get 2 quality prospects each.

2.  Hoping at least one of the GMs your trading with was sharing a crack whore with Hamilton and you end up getting two good starters.

3. Canning, Ohtani,  CRod, Detmer, Barria, Sandival, Suarez,  + a crapshoot of the 8 pitching prospects you recieved from the starters you traded for in July.

There is a lot of sarcasm in this post but also some truth 

Sarcasm or not, there is zero chance that any of those guys gets you "2 quality prospects" in a mid/late-season trade.

22 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Sarcasm or not, there is zero chance that any of those guys gets you "2 quality prospects" in a mid/late-season trade.

I guess you didn't notice the comment about being on crack.

Although I do believe if any of them get hot they can develop some real trade value.  This is especially so fir Bundy who I do not till os as bad as his stats.

2 minutes ago, stormngt said:

I guess you didn't notice the comment about being on crack.

Although I do believe if any of them get hot they can develop some real trade value.  This is especially so fir Bundy who I do not till os as bad as his stats.

Storm, there really isn’t much trade value for 3 month rentals.  Maybe a guy like Scherzer gets you one top 100 prospect, but probably not.  So Bundy and Heaney with their track record get you a guy like Barreto, maybe a guy like we got from the Padres for Castro.  

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

Storm, there really isn’t much trade value for 3 month rentals.  Maybe a guy like Scherzer gets you one top 100 prospect, but probably not.  So Bundy and Heaney with their track record get you a guy like Barreto, maybe a guy like we got from the Padres for Castro.  

I never said top 100.  I was thinking more like Sandoval or relief pitching. 

The point I was trying to make is we have to hope the go on a roll, trade them and move on.  

We got Sandoval for a month rent of Maldonado. 

To me, its more about depth then whether I "want" these guys in our rotation. They are all over-slotted. I don't mind Shohei as a 2/3, Bundy as a 3/4, Heaney as a 4/5, Canning as a 5. Adding just 1 "1" would make this whole rotation better, IMO. I know, "Captain Obvious;" but even a solid 2 would be helpful.

The bullpen on the other hand... 

In a perfect world, every pitcher in the rotation is a staff ace. But in the Angels world, one of possessing a good offense, having a little money to spend, not too much, and a farm system that desperately needs more pitching, a rotation I would shoot for is:

1. Front of the rotation starter. Sure, an ace would need nice, but someone that's clearly up front, a solid tier 2 starter is the best you can hope for.

2. A mid rotation starter with occasional flashes of TOR performance.

3. A solid inning eater that gives you quality, just not necessarily the upside of a TOR starter.

4. A back end starter that gives his a little more length than just 4-5 innings. More like the 5-6 inning type. 7 on a good night. 

5. Typical back end starter. 

6. A wild card. Someone you aren't going to rely on, but if they perform up to their potential, it's a huge boost. But just anticipate the bullpen needing to go 4-5 innings. 

-----

I think Ohtani fits in well with that number two slot. Canning would fit in well at the number 4, Detmers #5 as a rookie, and Chris Rodriguez being that wild card #6. If he pitches well, you have another solid 2-3 starter, but if not, he's just your 6th. You may even want to use Pat Sandoval as a piggyback starter in this case, limit them to twice through the order.

So basically, they need someone that will fit into the 3-slot and the one slot. 

------

For me personally, I'm so tired off watching the Angels GM having to make gambles on the rotation. Whether they work out or not, it's total crap that a team with this payroll is stuck in the same position year after year, trying to creatively piece together a rotation. 

So I say invest heavily in shorter term dramas that cost more from an AAV standpoint, on pitchers that we know will perform. Scherzer and Greinke are going to be EXPENSIVE, but they won't cost prospects, and because of their age, they aren't going to get more than three years. Yes, it would put the Angels over the cap (whatever that may be after the new CBA). But it would also fix things that have been broken for a long time, and allow the Angels to properly develop and groom pitching on the farm. 

That's really the only thing they need to be focusing on in the draft, is pitching. They have enough athletes in the system that they don't need more position players. But that pitching will need time. 

So I say go so in on Scherzer and Greinke. 

But we know Arte. He drew that line in the sand, doesn't go over the luxury tax line. There's been plenty of opportunity to do otherwise and he's still chosen not to. 

Perhaps if they're lucky, then can reel in Scherzer, and someone will want Jordyn Adams enough that they'll trade a mood rotation starter for him.

I’ve always been of the opinion that a couple of great pitchers can elevate the entire staff. If u have at least 2 stud workhorses guys feed off of that, momentum is never a problem and we don’t go on losing streaks. When we had John Lackey and Jered Weaver guys like Kelvim Escobar and Joe Saunders looked very good. Shohei can be one of them, if he’s ever allowed to pitch like a workhorse, and can remain healthy. One more stud can change everything. Well, that and a bullpen. 

3 hours ago, failos said:

Ohtani, Canning, Sandoval, and Detmers. Heaney is too Dr Jeykyl and Mr Hyde for my tastes, and Cobb and Quintana are akin to buying something from Pic N Save

you think heaney is like that and you want Sandoval, Canning and a guy who's currently in AA?