• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Name starters you conclusively want here next year

24 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

you think heaney is like that and you want Sandoval, Canning and a guy who's currently in AA?  

Heaney has had his opportunity. How many years has it been since Howie was traded for him? You clearly haven’t been paying attention.

28 minutes ago, failos said:

Heaney has had his opportunity. How many years has it been since Howie was traded for him? You clearly haven’t been paying attention.

I know what Heaney is.  How much do you want to bet that Sandoval isn't as good?  I'll gut through Canning's inconsistency but I wouldn't bet he isn't gonna go through similar ups and downs.  Detmers is in AA.  Good luck on bringing him up next year and not seeing sizable inconsistency.  You clearly don't understand baseball.  

Heaney is a vagina but ultimately he has value.

I think Bundy is someone we'll want to keep around as well, despite his current numbers.

We absolutely need to add a starter, though. And not a fucking 1-year bandaid. I wouldn't say it's a deep class, but there's definitely a few different ways to go. 

6 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I know what Heaney is.  How much do you want to bet that Sandoval isn't as good?  I'll gut through Canning's inconsistency but I wouldn't bet he isn't gonna go through similar ups and downs.  Detmers is in AA.  Good luck on bringing him up next year and not seeing sizable inconsistency.  You clearly don't understand baseball.  

Canning is the new Heaney of 4 seasons ago. 

Consistency is the keyword in your post. Guys like Heaney and Canning simply don’t have it. So they’re fine as back end guys but to be relied upon to be more hurts this team.

And Sandoval isn’t a ML starting pitcher. If you’re looking for a spot start here and there then sure, Sandoval can be that guy but that’s it. 

Unless Arte is willing to spend like he has never before (spoiler alert, he won’t) and buy a whole new rotation minus Ohtani, I just don’t see any other path that leads to the Angels being competitive next season.

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

Heaney is a vagina but ultimately he has value.

There will be much better options available to teams looking to buy come deadline time than Heaney. Combine that with the fact teams are no longer paying for rentals... best case scenario we land someone like Buttrey for Heaney imo

The notion that Canning, a 25 year old who’s made 34 starts in the majors and has been better than league average in ERA his first two years, better k per 9 than league average is somehow not an answer in a rotation is a really  fucking stupid opinion to have.  Since when are pitchers finished products at 25?  

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

The notion that Canning, a 25 year old who’s made 34 starts in the majors and has been better than league average in ERA his first two years, better k per 9 than league average is somehow not an answer in a rotation is a really  fucking stupid opinion to have.  Since when are pitchers finished products at 25?  

Yeah I don't get it. He's just coming into his own.

He was awful at the start of the year, but he's been pretty good his last few starts. 

He has 4 years of control. 

54 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Yeah I don't get it. He's just coming into his own.

He was awful at the start of the year, but he's been pretty good his last few starts. 

He has 4 years of control. 

He's a great option and showing shades of being a #3 already.   My point of bringing him up in reference to Heaney is that he's inconsistent but he's all of 25 (just turned on 5/11 btw).  Otherwise I think he's completely different than Heaney.  Canning has four plus pitches.  Nothing is plus plus but with four pitches I think on any given day he'll have more consistency than Heaney in that at least two or three will work.  Heaney has 1 and maybe a half.  If his slider isn't working, then his ok fastball and weak change can't play off of that.   So I think by the time Canning is 27/28, he's gonna be very good if he can continue to hone his command.  

10 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Shut up Doc Cholo

I've been doing some scouting and found some guys the Angels should try to sign.  They're from the Gambino Baseball League:

Johnny "3 Strikes" Panzzola

Louie "Knee Breakerr" Frangella

Tommy "Screw You's" Zambini

Effin' Tony "The Widow Maker" D'Angelo

Punch 'Em Out Pauley Morandini

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

A step in the right direction without really breaking the bank would look like this:

Lance Lynn/Jon Gray

Ohtani

Canning

Bundy

Detmers 

Barria/Sandoval/Rodriguez

I could also see them make a trade for a young guy giving up Adell in the process. 

Lynn, Jon Gray, and Stroman would be a huge and yet very doable haul. 

I bet Bauer opts out. 

22 hours ago, Stradling said:

You are correct.  But You know Canning may be a really significant piece to land a legit #1 in a trade for the exact reasons you state.

Do we want to keep burning time waiting for Canning to escalate his game or use his age/upside/years of control to instantly improve the team?

The worst case scenario is he remains inconsistent for a couple more years and never delivers more than #4ish results.

The Angels desperately need to level up and end up with two or more high end starters they can count on.

Once you have the top half of a rotation to brag about, you can backfill with bodies to round out the rotation.

I really like Canning and think his best days are ahead of him.  But he is on the clock.  He needs to show the Angels he is close to putting it all together otherwise I want to use the not-yet-achieved upside to help land a beast.

Edited by Dtwncbad

2 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

You are correct.  But You know Canning may be a really significant piece to land a legit #1 in a trade for the exact reasons you state.

Do we want to keep burning time waiting for Canning to escalate his game or use his age/upside/years of control to instantly improve the team?

The worst case scenario is he remains inconsistent for a couple more years and never delivers more than #4ish results.

The Angels desperately need to level up and end up with two or more high end starters they can count on.

Once you have the top half of a rotation to brag about, you can backfill with bodies to round out the rotation.

I really like Canning and think his best days are ahead of him.  But he is on the clock.  He needs to show the Angels he is close to putting it all together otherwise I want to use the not-yet-achieved upside to help land a beast.

I’m not against trading him but it’ll be tricky because I’m not including him plus others for a guy with less than three years of control. 

On 5/19/2021 at 1:25 PM, Angelsjunky said:

Ohtani and Canning are the only two guys who are definitely going to be in the 2022 rotation.

Re-sign the guy among Bundy, Heaney, Cobb and Quintana who combines the best of performance this year and affordability next. If one of them does reasonably well and will take a 1-2 year salary, get that one. At this point we know who Heaney is--an erratic #4 who sometimes looks like a #2-3, but just as often looks like a #4-5. Bundy isn't the guy we hoped he was, but is probably better than his 6.00 ERA...my guess is that he gets it down close to 4.00 by season's end. Cobb seems better than Quintana and could be a nice budget signing. None of them are keepers, though, so it really comes down to how things shake out and what sort of (short) contract they'll accept.

Give starts to Sandoval, Barria, and Suarez, and see if one can hold down a starting job. The other two can be long relief/depth.

See how Detmers does in AA/AAA, then call him up to the majors later in the year. Also, stretch out C Rodriguez and give him a few starts later in the year.

Once all of those questions are answered, then you hit free agency. Assuming Ohtani, Canning, one of the Four Stooges, one of the younger guys, and one of Detmers/CRod, that's five starters. They need to spend money on one of the better starters and probably sign another guy for depth.

Just curious.....what would Sandoval,  Barria or Suerez have to do in order to lock down a starter spot?  

Is an ERA of sub 3.5 ERA sufficient over 26 starts?

Is ERA+ of 123 sufficient?