• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels place Max Stassi and Juan Lagares on the 10 day IL, recall Anthony Bemboom

mmc

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Standing by my prediction the Angels trade for an impact catcher before the year is out...

The offense Stassi provided last year and so far this year, combined with what I would consider decent defense, at a pretty cheap price is gonna be tough to beat. There just aren't that many really good catchers out there right now, and getting one of those guys would take some resources, when it's quite possible we have a steal of a good catcher already in house. I suppose there are some good defense first guys that we might be able to get kinda cheap (a Martin Maldonado type), but I just don't think there are that many decent defense and good bat catchers out there that would be available.

43 minutes ago, happybat4 said:

Hasn't Stassi been an impact catcher?

I think that's a little up for debate still, if you took a deeper look at the numbers. His performance this season has been very encouraging because he's been fairly consistent, but if you look closer at 2020, there's a a lot of reason to be skeptical.

Stassi crushed a pretty awful Mariners team last year. He went 4 for 15 - all four hits were home runs - all of which happened in the span of a week, and then he had a 2 HR game against the Padres near the end of the year.  He did almost all of his damage in 19 plate appearances.

Against everyone else? He slashed .227/.302/.293/.595 in 86 plate appearances. 3 XBH, 19 strikeouts, almost a quarter of the time up.

I like his defense, but declaring him an impact catcher over 120 PA is extremely premature, especially when he was really only hot for a week against a crappy team. I'll absolutely give him credit for looking pretty balanced and solid this year.

Two hip surgeries and now a thumb injury, even if mild, aren't ideal for a catcher now on the other side of 30 either, even if he's 'healthier' than ever.

Edited by totdprods