• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels place Max Stassi and Juan Lagares on the 10 day IL, recall Anthony Bemboom

mmc

27 minutes ago, Don said:

The offense Stassi provided last year and so far this year, combined with what I would consider decent defense, at a pretty cheap price is gonna be tough to beat. There just aren't that many really good catchers out there right now, and getting one of those guys would take some resources, when it's quite possible we have a steal of a good catcher already in house. I suppose there are some good defense first guys that we might be able to get kinda cheap (a Martin Maldonado type), but I just don't think there are that many decent defense and good bat catchers out there that would be available.

Behind pitching, catcher will likely be our clearest position to upgrade come deadline time, especially if Stassi winds up having a hard time staying healthy, and I can't imagine Arte or Perry will want to sit by idly if the team is going into the stretch run in a good position. 

I could absolutely see the team swinging a deal for Contreras and Hendrick or Davies or Kimbrel to upgrade catcher and the staff for the playoffs. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

These other MLB teams manage to develop catchers, otherwise there wouldn’t be any MLB catchers.

What is the Halos aversion to drafting them, about?

We draft them all the time. They just immediately get changed to other positions!

In all seriousness, catcher is the biggest gamble in the draft, and we haven’t been in a place to gamble like that. There’s really only a handful of great catchers in the bigs the last decade if not longer...plenty of next tier guys available each year.

Edited by totdprods

• mmc changed the title to Angels place Max Stassi and Juan Lagares on the 10 day IL, recall Anthony Bemboom
26 minutes ago, totdprods said:

We draft them all the time. They just immediately get changed to other positions!

In all seriousness, catcher is the biggest gamble in the draft, and we haven’t been in a place to gamble like that. There’s really only a handful of great catchers in the bigs the last decade if not longer...plenty of next tier guys available each year.

I think we'll see this FO draft/develop a catcher for sure, but I think we'll also fortify the position through trades/free agency.

Stassi looks good to me, I think he's fine.  It's hard for us as fans to truly gauge catcher performance - pitch-calling/sequencing, rapport with the staff, framing, etc.  The offense is just a plus, but really, by far and away their greatest impact is on the defensive end, as they literally impact every single pitch defensively.

I'm interested to see who this FO values in that regard.  We heard they strongly pursued McCann in the offseason, who is considered strong defensively and in terms of "leadership," so to speak.

For those who wonder why Ward, etc may not have been called up, or may not have been on the taxi squad, it is explained above.  Only guys on the taxi squad can be called up while on the road, and Maddon preferred to have guys on the squad who don't need daily training/"seasoning," so to speak.

9 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

For those who wonder why Ward, etc may not have been called up, or may not have been on the taxi squad, it is explained above.  Only guys on the taxi squad can be called up while on the road, and Maddon preferred to have guys on the squad who don't need daily training/"seasoning," so to speak.

Thanks for translating Fabian's tweet.  I don't think I would have understood it without you.