• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels place Max Stassi and Juan Lagares on the 10 day IL, recall Anthony Bemboom

mmc

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Above all, start drafting a catcher in the earlier rounds, or sign one from int’l, and develop them for a change!

When your most recent drafted early rounds catcher developed was 2006 (Conger), something is wrong!

Ward and Thaiss was after Conger and both drafted as catcher.

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

These other MLB teams manage to develop catchers, otherwise there wouldn’t be any MLB catchers.

What is the Halos aversion to drafting them, about?

im actually much more fond of trading for or signing a FA catcher than spending high first rounders on drafting them. they rarely become what they're touted as a prospect.

I don’t want to use any high draft picks on catchers.  The risk is too high.

Catchers are a crap shoot at best.  It is so hard to know what amateur catchers can develop into mlb quality receivers.

How often is there a rookie catcher that is a high performer for the first 5-6 years of their career?  So rare.  So I don’t really want to be the team that burned a high draft pick and then years of development to end up with marginal production when I can just trade for or sign a passable catcher.

It just makes more sense to use those precious draft picks on players that are easier to project (at other positions) and then backfill catcher with a trade or free agency.

Edited by Dtwncbad

3 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I don’t want to use any high draft picks on catchers.  The risk is too high.

Catchers are a crap shoot at best.  It is so hard to know what amateur catchers can develop into mlb quality receivers.

How often is there a rookie catcher that is a high performer for the first 5-6 years of their career?  So rare.  So I don’t really want to be the team that burned a high draft pick and then years of development to end up with marginal production when I can just trade for or sign a passable catcher.

It just makes more sense to use those precious draft picks on players that are easier to project (at other positions) and then backfill catcher with a trade or free agency.

Seems like we've had bad results with catching prospects. Conger, Mathis, Bandy, I'm sure there is more.