• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Will the Angels sign Odorizzi?

Will the Angels sign Odorizzi?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Joel Sherman indicated that the Angels are still "engaged" in the pitching market. Do they sign Odorizzi? Explain your results and what the outcome means.

• Yes
    • No

13 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

This is true except for the fact that it's not. They will have a gaping hole at SS. Possibly 1B if Walsh doesn't work out. It'd be nice to have a better catcher. So I'll give you 3 so far if Stassi plateaus and isn't the answer. 

4 rotation spots? They have Ohtani, Sandoval, Barria, and Canning right now. They will spend the year evaluating Detmers, Suarez, and Rodriguez. So you project 7 possible candidates for your rotation next year. All 7 of them are young and have a really good chance to improve. Of course not all of them will, but all 7 of your candidates for 2022 (unlike Heaney, Quintana, Bundy, Cobb...Bauer, Odorizzi, Walker, Paxton, Happ, Lester, Ray, Minor, Morton, Smyly, or Richards) are young and likely to be better next year. You can afford to trade for improvements once your prospects reestablish their value this year. So you probably are looking at 1-2 spots to fill depending on what you want. 

Bullpen? You lose Igelsias and Claudio. You also have young guys who can possibly fill that role in 2022 like Rivera, Yan, or Reyes that should improve this year. They will likely easily replicate Claudio's production. So you have 1 spot to fill with Iglesias. 

Being generous you are looking at 6 spots to fill. That includes Walsh being a bust, Stassi not working out, and only 2-3 of the young starter taking a leap forward; meaning Ohtani can't pitch, Suarez stinks, Sandoval doesn't figure it out, and Rodriguez isn't ready ALL happening. Canning and Detmers are safe bets. We know what Barria is. If nobody else hits, then we still have 2-3 spots to fill.  

They have 9 spots to fill. That's a fact.

I never said it had to be through free agency. If Sandoval and Barria can fill 2 spots, that's great. If Detmers and Rodriguez can fill 2 spots, that's even better. But that's a lot of assumptions.

They have 4 rotation spots to fill. Fact.

1 minute ago, tdawg87 said:

I never said it had to be through free agency. If Sandoval and Barria can fill 2 spots, that's great. If Detmers and Rodriguez can fill 2 spots, that's even better. But that's a lot of assumptions.

I'd guess 4 or 5 of those spots will be filled for about $3 million.

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

And as you’ve stated and I agree with, sometimes the most important job in being a GM is being persuasive with the owner. 

Meh, they had a deal agreed to, the Dodgers took their time completing the deal Arte got pissy and called it off.  

Honestly, I just think it's sorta silly to think a deal going sideways would prevent teams from doing a deal in the future.  The Dodgers in particular have shown they simply do what they need to do to get better.  If the Angels had something they wanted, pretty sure they would try to make it happen and as far as Arte goes, I hear the Angels will never sign another Boras client... wasn't that the narrative?

1 hour ago, GoodTimesGoneBad said:

I’d like to see Odorizzi added so they can at least have a vet on the staff if Bundy walks. Detmers has never pitched in the minors and Rodriguez has been hurt a bunch. If they sign Odorizzi they can send Sandoval to AAA for regular reps and Barria to the pen as the long man/spot starter. It would also allow Ohtani to build up slowly. 

2021 would be Bundy, Odorizzi, Heaney, Quintana, Cobb, and Ohtani on Sundays. 

2022 is looking like Ohtani, Barria, Sandoval, ?, ?, ?

What about Griffin Canning?

33 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

A little confused by these facts. It's a "fact" that Walsh is already a bust and Stassi isn't the answer at catcher? It's a "fact" that only Griffin Canning is pitching in 2022? A "fact" that Ohtani, Detmers, Barria, Sandoval, Rodriguez, and Suarez will not be in the rotation, and therefore we have 4 spots to fill? You've stated these as fact, meaning it's a done deal. Where are the factual holes besides SS and 1-2 SP? It can't be fact if we don't know yet. 

8 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

A little confused by these facts. It's a "fact" that Walsh is already a bust and Stassi isn't the answer at catcher? It's a "fact" that only Griffin Canning is pitching in 2022? A "fact" that Ohtani, Detmers, Barria, Sandoval, Rodriguez, and Suarez will not be in the rotation, and therefore we have 4 spots to fill? You've stated these as fact, meaning it's a done deal. Where are the factual holes besides SS and 1-2 SP? It can't be fact if we don't know yet. 

We do know. As of right now, there are 4 holes in the rotation in 2022. I don't know why this is so hard to understand.

If Detmers, Sandoval, Barria etc... make the rotation then that's fantastic. But as of right now they aren't. What does that mean? Those spots aren't filled. You're assuming these guys will automatically fill those spots but that remains to be seen. 

Hell, lets just say closer is filled because we have Mayers. 

And I'm not assuming Walsh will be bad. That's why I said IF he doesn't do well we will need to fill 1st base. 

As for Stassi? Yeah, he's possibly pretty good for 2022. We still need another catcher. 

6 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

We do know. As of right now, there are 4 holes in the rotation in 2022. I don't know why this is so hard to understand.

If Detmers, Sandoval, Barria etc... make the rotation then that's fantastic. But as of right now they aren't. What does that mean? Those spots aren't filled. You're assuming these guys will automatically fill those spots but that remains to be seen. 

And I'm not assuming Walsh will be bad. That's why I said IF he doesn't do well we will need to fill 1st base. 

As for Stassi? Yeah, he's possibly pretty good for 2022. We still need another catcher. 

You started this whole thing by saying people shouldn't be excited we have $70 million free because we have 10 spots to fill. The implication being we have to use $70 million (FA or trade) to fill 10 spots. Maybe that's not what you meant but that's what you said. I was simply saying it's not true. 

Just now, ThisismineScios said:

You started this whole thing by saying people shouldn't be excited we have $70 million free because we have 10 spots to fill. The implication being we have to use $70 million (FA or trade) to fill 10 spots. Maybe that's not what you meant but that's what you said. I was simply saying it's not true. 

That's fair. I understand the confusion.

What I meant was we have all those spots to fill and at least some of the payroll will go towards them. Possibly most of it if things don't work out. 

5 hours ago, Second Base said:

2. Odorizzi would needlessly displace multiple pitchers. We just read puff pieces on Heaney, Canning is clearly a big league starter, they wouldn't acquire Quintana or Cobb just to stick them in the pen. They certainly aren't moving Bundy or Ohtani to relief. 

This is the biggest reason, imo. If someone is going to posit that the Angels are bringing in another starter, they need to explain just how that is going to be maneuvered with the current roster. And it needs to be explained realistically.

- Heaney is probably not getting moved. His one year contract makes it possible, but it just isn't likely. Certainly I don't see him getting moved for a setup guy. That just doesn't make a lot of sense, and that's the only major hole I could see coming back in a trade.

- Canning and Ohtani are their only SP in the rotation signed beyond this year. They aren't trading Ohtani and they would only trade Canning for another SP, which defeats the whole purpose of moving him to bring in Odorizzi. Canning is not likely to get demoted to the minors or the bullpen. Ditto Ohtani.

- Bundy is going nowhere after 2020. Quintana and Cobb are new. None of them is getting moved or put in the pen.

- While injuries are likely to happen, you still have to contend with the scenario of what to do if everyone is healthy at one time. Based on the above realities, there just isn't room for anything other than possibly another depth option that can start in the majors or be stashed in the minors. Even that feels unlikely based on 40 man roster space.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

I can’t believe they think they can be successful with only two late innings guys, when starting pitching outings are as short as they are today.

I am wondering what Perry’s thoughts are on that.   Does he really think Slegers will slot in as that third guy?

Not saying I support the opinion, but they may view as Buttrey as someone that has been a back end guy, and Claudio finished 38 games and served as one of the closers for the Rangers one year.   Other possibility.... Arte won't give him the money.

16 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Barria had two of his three seasons of 123 plus ERA.  His career era+ is 95 What dies he have to do to earn a starting spot?  

Heaney best season ERA+ 108. Career 95

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Not saying I support the opinion, but they may view as Buttrey as someone that has been a back end guy, and Claudio finished 38 games and served as one of the closers for the Rangers one year.   Other possibility.... Arte won't give him the money.

We had better then hope for 2018-2019 Buttrey.

Edited by Angel Oracle