• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Will the Angels sign Odorizzi?

Will the Angels sign Odorizzi?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Joel Sherman indicated that the Angels are still "engaged" in the pitching market. Do they sign Odorizzi? Explain your results and what the outcome means.

• Yes
    • No

Joel Sherman says the Angels are one of the teams that remain "engaged" in the pitching market. 

With Rosenthal and Walker off the board, the only main guy left is Odorizzi.

Will the Angels sign him? 

I think if they do then that might open dialogue up for a trade. Possibly for some bullpen help. Thoughts?

Edited by angelsnationtalk

I don't think so. We're done and I'm fine with it. 

There's a TON of money coming off the books after this season. 

I'm guessing we're going to be buyers and sellers at the trade deadline whether we're winning or losing and we'll be heavily engaged in free agent activity for starting pitching following the 2021 campaign. 

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'm guessing we're going to be buyers and sellers at the trade deadline whether we're winning or losing and we'll be heavily engaged in free agent activity for starting pitching following the 2021 campaign. 

Yeah i've thought about this too.

Bundy and Heaney are free agents after this year and I doubt both are given contract extensions. Bundy also is younger. 

I think Bundy will likely be given a new contract with the Angels leaving Heaney out.

I'd like to see Heaney get flipped for other needs like the bullpen if possible. 

Angels would become a pretty deep team if that happens.

8 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

Iglesias is the closer.  Why would we flip Heaney for a set up guy?  We have lots of those.  

Heaney for a controllable SP makes sense.  Or a young catcher that can start.  

Other than that, we'd be wasting an asset. 

Because he isn’t controllable.  This is his last year under contract.  

29 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Agree, except I’d like one more late innings reliever.   

Who other than Iglesias and Mayers can do it?

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I half expect us to sign Odorizzi.  The other possibility is the Dodgers have a press conference today to announce the signing of Justin Turner.  That requires them to take someone off of their 40 man roster.  Don’t be surprised if a deal is made for a starter.

Furgusson was just placed on the IL 

48 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Joel Sherman says the Angels are one of the teams that remain "engaged" in the pitching market. 

With Rosenthal and Walker off the board, the only main guy left is Odorizzi.

Will the Angels sign him? 

I think if they do then that might open dialogue up for a trade. Possibly for some bullpen help. Thoughts?

It just doesn't seem feasible right now especially with Minasian's paraphrasing, "Roster is probably what we're going into Spring Training with."

45 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'm not fine with it, but we're done. 🙂

For so many reasons, no. 

1. The Angels almost certainly checked in on him, but now their rotation is settled.

2. Odorizzi would needlessly displace multiple pitchers. We just read puff pieces on Heaney, Canning is clearly a big league starter, they wouldn't acquire Quintana or Cobb just to stick them in the pen. They certainly aren't moving Bundy or Ohtani to relief. 

3. Payroll really hasn't gone up like many thought, but Minasian has still spent around 25-30 million which is what most of us believed the budget to be in the first place. Arte had always been generous but strict in his budgets. 

4. As much as we don't like it, the current rotation leaves room for the possibility for Barria, Sandoval, Suarez, Naughton, Detmers, Rodriguez, Faria, Guerra, etc.. To rise up and take a rotation spot at some point in the year. It isn't ideal, but you need to leave that door open, particularly for Detmers, Rodriguez and Barria. Odorizzi effectively closes that door. 

5. As much as we've been critical, the numbers back up Minasian's strategy. The first three starters carried a 3.91 ERA, the next three, an ERA over 9. The top three weren't the problem, it was the bottom three. Ohtani is back, and they've brought in Quintana and Cobb. Odorizzi, as good as he is, doesn't solve last year's issue.

6. The bullpen lead all of baseball with 14 blown saves in 28 chances last year. 50% is absolutely atrocious. Getting Iglesias, Claudio, Rivera and Sleggers helps a little, but they need more help. Relief pitching is so unreliable and at this point, the only way that bullpen develops into anything reliable is if two of those guys (along with Buttrey) pitch effectively to bridge that gap to Mayers-Iglesias. Furthermore, with starters expected to go less and less, bullpen depth will be tested more and more. They need a very solid middle reliever. Odorizzi doesn't fix that either. 

Odorizzi is probably going to be a solid pitcher in 2021 and 2022. Just not for the Angels, I don't think.