• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Will the Angels sign Odorizzi?

Will the Angels sign Odorizzi?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Joel Sherman indicated that the Angels are still "engaged" in the pitching market. Do they sign Odorizzi? Explain your results and what the outcome means.

• Yes
    • No

This reminds me of the kid who keeps asking his parents if he an have a puppy or whatever...  They say no. A day later, he asks again.  They still say no.  Next day... "What about now?" Still no. Then he starts putting conditions on his request... "What if I do more chores?"  Still no.  Then, it's... "But Johnny just got one." Still no. 

I think some of you just need to lower your expectations.  If by chance the Angels sign him or someone else, you can be pleasantly surprised.  It just doesn't seem likely... Minasian has already said he's comfortable with what he has and ST has already started.

And no, Lou... the example above isn't about my life!

37 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I half expect us to sign Odorizzi.  The other possibility is the Dodgers have a press conference today to announce the signing of Justin Turner.  That requires them to take someone off of their 40 man roster.  Don’t be surprised if a deal is made for a starter.

Sorry to break this to you.  But Justin Turner was already signed a few days ago.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

I don't think so. We're done and I'm fine with it. 

There's a TON of money coming off the books after this season. 

I'm guessing we're going to be buyers and sellers at the trade deadline whether we're winning or losing and we'll be heavily engaged in free agent activity for starting pitching following the 2021 campaign. 

I wish I shared your optimism Chuck, but it just feels like this is something we’ve been saying for years now and it’s never amounted to anything.  I want nothing more than for them to prove me wrong but I’m at a point where I’ll believe it when I see it when it comes to us landing impact starters via free agency.

20 minutes ago, mmc said:

I wish I shared your optimism Chuck, but it just feels like this is something we’ve been saying for years now and it’s never amounted to anything.  I want nothing more than for them to prove me wrong but I’m at a point where I’ll believe it when I see it when it comes to us landing impact starters via free agency.

@mmc they really have no excuse after this season to sign some big names or trade for a big contract that's going to bolster their chances. 

Let's see what happens this year and what we can get from our own homegrown players and those who we've brought in. I still think we have a chance (and that's all as fans we cling to) to make the playoffs this season, if not win the division altogether. 

23 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

@mmc they really have no excuse after this season to sign some big names or trade for a big contract that's going to bolster their chances. 

Let's see what happens this year and what we can get from our own homegrown players and those who we've brought in. I still think we have a chance (and that's all as fans we cling to) to make the playoffs this season, if not win the division altogether. 

there's money but a lot of moves that need to be made for next year.  And for as much as they have to do, there's not as much as you think due to increased to Rendon, Upton and arb stuff.  

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

there's money but a lot of moves that need to be made for next year.  And for as much as they have to do, there's not as much as you think due to increased to Rendon, Upton and arb stuff.  

Yeah it sucks. On the surface level it's like Holy shit we got like 70 million free next year! But then we have 9 positions to fill, 10 if Walsh doesn't work out. That includes 4 rotation spots.

Not a good place to be.

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

I half expect us to sign Odorizzi.  The other possibility is the Dodgers have a press conference today to announce the signing of Justin Turner.  That requires them to take someone off of their 40 man roster.  Don’t be surprised if a deal is made for a starter.

Caleb Ferguson put on 60 IL

I’d like to see Odorizzi added so they can at least have a vet on the staff if Bundy walks. Detmers has never pitched in the minors and Rodriguez has been hurt a bunch. If they sign Odorizzi they can send Sandoval to AAA for regular reps and Barria to the pen as the long man/spot starter. It would also allow Ohtani to build up slowly. 

2021 would be Bundy, Odorizzi, Heaney, Quintana, Cobb, and Ohtani on Sundays. 

2022 is looking like Ohtani, Barria, Sandoval, ?, ?, ?

17 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Angels need to sign Jeremy Jeffress

Dude... It is straight up annoying when you post this in every thread. Please stop. I believe you can do better than this. 

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

Yeah it sucks. On the surface level it's like Holy shit we got like 70 million free next year! But then we have 9 positions to fill, 10 if Walsh doesn't work out. That includes 4 rotation spots.

Not a good place to be.

A guy like Stroman could easily cost 1/4 of that 70 million. You're correct It's not as much as it sounds. 

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

No way they trade with us after the Pederson, Stripling deal/non-deal.....

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

Not a good place to be.

This is true except for the fact that it's not. They will have a gaping hole at SS. Possibly 1B if Walsh doesn't work out. It'd be nice to have a better catcher. So I'll give you 3 so far if Stassi plateaus and isn't the answer. 

4 rotation spots? They have Ohtani, Sandoval, Barria, and Canning right now. They will spend the year evaluating Detmers, Suarez, and Rodriguez. So you project 7 possible candidates for your rotation next year. All 7 of them are young and have a really good chance to improve. Of course not all of them will, but all 7 of your candidates for 2022 (unlike Heaney, Quintana, Bundy, Cobb...Bauer, Odorizzi, Walker, Paxton, Happ, Lester, Ray, Minor, Morton, Smyly, or Richards) are young and likely to be better next year. You can afford to trade for improvements once your prospects reestablish their value this year. So you probably are looking at 1-2 spots to fill depending on what you want. 

Bullpen? You lose Igelsias and Claudio. You also have young guys who can possibly fill that role in 2022 like Rivera, Yan, or Reyes that should improve this year. They will likely easily replicate Claudio's production. So you have 1 spot to fill with Iglesias. 

Being generous you are looking at 6 spots to fill. That includes Walsh being a bust, Stassi not working out, and only 2-3 of the young starter taking a leap forward; meaning Ohtani can't pitch, Suarez stinks, Sandoval doesn't figure it out, and Rodriguez isn't ready ALL happening. Canning and Detmers are safe bets. We know what Barria is. If nobody else hits, then we still have 2-3 spots to fill.