• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Will the Angels sign Odorizzi?

Will the Angels sign Odorizzi?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Joel Sherman indicated that the Angels are still "engaged" in the pitching market. Do they sign Odorizzi? Explain your results and what the outcome means.

• Yes
    • No

23 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I don't think so. We're done and I'm fine with it. 

There's a TON of money coming off the books after this season. 

I'm guessing we're going to be buyers and sellers at the trade deadline whether we're winning or losing and we'll be heavily engaged in free agent activity for starting pitching following the 2021 campaign. 

This has been my take on it. The Angels have a lot of dead money on the books for this year, and the biggest part of it drops off after the season. I'm guessing that they don't want to commit a lot of money to a mid-pack free agent, which would hamper their freedom going forward.

Potential free agent pitchers for the 2021 off-season include Noah Syndergaard and Max Scherzer. I wouldn't pursue Justin Verlander at this point.

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

A couple of reports out there today saying we are still involved, including one from Jomboy saying we have had the highest bid the entire time.  

Oh okay, I've moved on. I seriously doubt we're going to sign Odorizzi unless Minasian has a trade to follow afterward. 

I mean we have Bundy, Heaney, Quintana, Canning, Barria, Ohtani and Cobb with potentially Detmers and Rodriguez later in the season. Sandoval is also an option. 

I'm guessing he signs with the Phillies. 

Jomboy says it's the Angels, and no one is necessarily that close, but no one has quite met his asking price. Heyman is talking out of his anus about the Phillies, while also mentioning the Angels have been lurking the whole time.

I'm not even sure what to think. Part of me thinks Odorizzi makes a lot of sense given his upside, the other knows the rotation is already full. 

I mean if I had to take a guess, I'd say the Angels were in the lead much if the winter, but then moved on after Quintana and Cobb.

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

Oh okay, I've moved on. I seriously doubt we're going to sign Odorizzi unless Minasian has a trade to follow afterward. 

I mean we have Bundy, Heaney, Quintana, Canning, Barria, Ohtani and Cobb with potentially Detmers and Rodriguez later in the season. Sandoval is also an option. 

I'm guessing he signs with the Phillies. 

Because I want talent added, I am in favor of signing him if the cost is right around 3 years and $30 million.  I am less comfortable with the idea of heading into next year with just Canning, Barria and Ohtani for the rotation.  Like I said in the other thread if you sign Odorizzi, then you trade Heaney for a Matz like package.  

2 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Jomboy says it's the Angels, and no one is necessarily that close, but no one has quite met his asking price. Heyman is talking out of his anus about the Phillies, while also mentioning the Angels have been lurking the whole time.

I'm not even sure what to think. Part of me thinks Odorizzi makes a lot of sense given his upside, the other knows the rotation is already full. 

I mean if I had to take a guess, I'd say the Angels were in the lead much if the winter, but then moved on after Quintana and Cobb.

My question is where did Jomboy say this? and how recent?

19 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

My question is where did Jomboy say this? and how recent?

You'll have to do your own HW on that, but Trevor Plouffe does a lot with JB now, and he's close with Odorizzi. So I'm guessing it has some accuracy to it. But since then, Plouffe's go-to had been, "no comment."

But they pretty clearly have insider info, their rotation has been solidified since they were the first to report the Astros cheating scandal.

17 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Because I want talent added, I am in favor of signing him if the cost is right around 3 years and $30 million.  I am less comfortable with the idea of heading into next year with just Canning, Barria and Ohtani for the rotation.  Like I said in the other thread if you sign Odorizzi, then you trade Heaney for a Matz like package.  

I mean it makes sense in terms of having someone to add to Canning, Barria, Ohtani and perhaps Detmers & Rodriguez next season and beyond. It will be interesting if we do sign him (doubtful) on who gets moved. 

Honestly, I believe Barria could be every bit as good as Odorizzi this season and especially beyond so I would hate to see him not get a shot this season with the Angels. 

What people don’t realize is there is going to be a huge need for SP this year due to no one pitching more than 84 innings last year. The highest on the Angels was Heaney at 66 innings. Plus Ohtani hasn’t pitched in forever. Although Odorizzi was hurt last year, he has been one of the most durable pitchers in MLB over his career. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

A couple of reports out there today saying we are still involved, including one from Jomboy saying we have had the highest bid the entire time.  

Can’t be true.  The Angels have obviously “ignored” Odorizzi this whole time.

Edited by Dtwncbad

7 hours ago, Second Base said:

Why do you think this?

The one thing that doesn’t really pass the smell test is the Arte factor.  I mean, he usually likes to give some deadlines to deals, or at least that is the rumor.  So I guess we will see in the coming days.  If they do sign him I am hoping it is for 2-3 years.  Nothing more, nothing less.  

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

The one thing that doesn’t really pass the smell test is the Arte factor.  I mean, he usually likes to give some deadlines to deals, or at least that is the rumor.  So I guess we will see in the coming days.  If they do sign him I am hoping it is for 2-3 years.  Nothing more, nothing less.  

Can’t bring in yet another starter for one season, that is darned tootin sure.