• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Spring Training News & Notes Thread

Chuck

2 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Would Minasian have final say? Does Faria make bullpen?

Minasian seems to have allowed Maddon to make a lot of these decisions. Some unusual, some smart. But keeping Jay over Lagares may be a decision he has to overrule Joe on. The only other clue I have to go on is Joe said he is more than willing to pull Upton late in games. That seems to imply a defensive guy would be really important, and Lagares is certainly a better defender than Jay. 

Bullpen depth is extraordinarily thin IMO. Very surprised they haven’t added another vet arm or two on ST invites. Still time. Wondering if we’ll see more likelihood that some of the SPs like Barria, Sandoval, or Suarez make the pen and Joe goes with a lot of openers/tandem/multi-inning stuff. 

Seems weird they did so little to address the pen.

Edited by totdprods

11 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

Minasian seems to have allowed Maddon to make a lot of these decisions. Some unusual, some smart. But keeping Jay over Lagares may be a decision he has to overrule Joe on. The only other clue I have to go on is Joe said he is more than willing to pull Upton late in games. That seems to imply a defensive guy would be really important, and Lagares is certainly a better defender than Jay. 

I get the sense that Minasian and Maddon are equals in this organization and have a hard time believing that Minasian would overrule a manager with a better understanding on the kinds of players a team needs to win.  I think Joe is publicly talking up Jay trying to reduce the pressure he is certainly feeling from an under-whelming spring.

I do like what Lagares is showing.  I am sure there is a plan for Lagares.........just based on what little I have seen, I prefer him as the starting right fielder.

26 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Bullpen depth is extraordinarily thin IMO. Very surprised they haven’t added another vet arm or two on ST invites. Still time. Wondering if we’ll see more likelihood that some of the SPs like Barria, Sandoval, or Suarez make the pen and Joe goes with a lot of openers/tandem/multi-inning stuff. 

Seems weird they did so little to address the pen.

my biggest area of concern right now.  I doubt Suarez makes the team.  He belongs in the minors.  I think we're a guy or two short still.  Hopefully someone steps up.  

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

my biggest area of concern right now.  I doubt Suarez makes the team.  He belongs in the minors.  I think we're a guy or two short still.  Hopefully someone steps up.  

I think we will be okay.

Right now, the locks for the pen:  Iglesias, Mayers, Pena, Buttrey, Claudio, Rivera (by default, he has to be on the roster for now).

So that's 6 relievers, which means we need at least two more.  I think Guerra is a strong contender for one of those spots, as is Slegers.

Beyond those two, other options could include Faria, Reed, Chavez.

I actually think we're fine on the whole, but that is contingent on Mayers and Pena pitching like they did last year.

Just now, Warfarin said:

I think we will be okay.

Right now, the locks for the pen:  Iglesias, Mayers, Pena, Buttrey, Claudio, Rivera (by default, he has to be on the roster for now).

So that's 6 relievers, which means we need at least two more.  I think Guerra is a strong contender for one of those spots, as is Slegers.

I actually think we're fine on the whole, but that is contingent on Mayers and Pena pitching like they did last year.

I'm still not sure Rivera is a lock, even though he's a Rule 5 pick.  Doesn't seem like there's been much chatter about him and he still hasn't pitched in ST yet (at least that I can find...I don't think he appeared in the one game in which he was listed as a possible pitcher).  They could still return him to the Astros.

Walsh will be the 1B most of the time.

It is interesting that Pujols keeps playing with the mostly "A" lineup, but I think that's out of respect. That goes out the window after opening day.. It's Walsh unless he stinks it up.  If that happens, Rojas and Thaiss will get time.  Pujols isn't starting many games.

2 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I'm still not sure Rivera is a lock, even though he's a Rule 5 pick.  Doesn't seem like there's been much chatter about him and he still hasn't pitched in ST yet (at least that I can find...I don't think he appeared in the one game in which he was listed as a possible pitcher).  They could still return him to the Astros.

Yeah, I just meant a lock I guess in the sense that he has to make it.  I sorta think he will, at least at the start, although he may not last, as many rule 5's are ultimately returned.

If he doesn't make it, then the 8th spot could go to one of those guys I listed.  I actually think the pen is in pretty decent shape.  Most forward-thinking GMs are pretty good about finding undervalued relievers for low prices, and I think Minasian can do this quite a bit better than Eppler did.

15 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I think we will be okay.

I think I'd have both Barria and Sandoval in the pen and give them both a couple of outings a week that went at least two innings. Either when a starter hasn't got their stuff that day or just to bridge from innings 5 to 7 or 8. After last year's shortened season I can see Joe pulling the starters earlier than he otherwise would, so a selection of multi-inning guys out of the pen would be a real benefit.

Just now, ScottT said:

The thought of Jesse Chavez making the team is scary.  

He pitched in one of the games I attended last week and got hammered. Could've easily given up several home runs, but one was just short... one guy hit two out, but foul

Right - I think he is in the mix for the 8th spot, but will only make it if he pitches well moving forward.  There are various contenders for it, and I don't see him as the favorite.  I think he will just start off as minor league depth.