• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Spring Training News & Notes Thread

Chuck

1 minute ago, WicketMaiden said:

I think I'd have both Barria and Sandoval in the pen and give them both a couple of outings a week that went at least two innings. Either when a starter hasn't got their stuff that day or just to bridge from innings 5 to 7 or 8. After last year's shortened season I can see Joe pulling the starters earlier than he otherwise would, so a selection of multi-inning guys out of the pen would be a real benefit.

I think this is extremely likely, especially with AAA delayed. We might see a lot of the kid starters rounding out the pen for the first month.

2 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

I think I'd have both Barria and Sandoval in the pen and give them both a couple of outings a week that went at least two innings. Either when a starter hasn't got their stuff that day or just to bridge from innings 5 to 7 or 8. After last year's shortened season I can see Joe pulling the starters earlier than he otherwise would, so a selection of multi-inning guys out of the pen would be a real benefit.

I think we have to have Sandoval and Barria stretched out.  If Barria DOESN'T have a 4th option, then he definitely makes it as a reliever and Sandoval is our next man up if/when someone gets hurt.

If Barria does have an option, I think there's value in keeping both of them stretched out at the alternate site / AAA, so that they can slide in when someone is inevitably hurt.

9 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I think this is extremely likely, especially with AAA delayed. We might see a lot of the kid starters rounding out the pen for the first month.

We'll see about Barria, because it depends on his option, but remember - at the alternate site, they will be able to pitch in simulated games, which means they can continue to stay stretched out.

If both Barria and Sandoval are in the pen as relievers, and a SP gets hurt, who do we pivot to in order to start games?  Suarez?  I think I'd prefer one of Barria or Sandoval, which means they'll need to be making "starts" at the alternate site, which they can do.

17 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I think we have to have Sandoval and Barria stretched out.  If Barria DOESN'T have a 4th option, then he definitely makes it as a reliever and Sandoval is our next man up if/when someone gets hurt.

If Barria does have an option, I think there's value in keeping both of them stretched out at the alternate site / AAA, so that they can slide in when someone is inevitably hurt.

That's a fair point, it would leave us a bit short there unless Detmers proves he's ready to go and can be called up for spot starts, but we do need multi-innings guys in the pen this year. A strong pen is so valuable so I would still keep them both in there, then if (when) injury occurs go with a bull-pen game once or twice and stretch Barria out to fill the hole. Just my personal choice, but then I'm only a keyboard GM, what do I know hey? 🥴

4 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

We'll see about Barria, because it depends on his option, but remember - at the alternate site, they will be able to pitch in simulated games, which means they can continue to stay stretched out.

If both Barria and Sandoval are in the pen as relievers, and a SP gets hurt, who do we pivot to in order to start games?  Suarez?  I think I'd prefer one of Barria or Sandoval, which means they'll need to be making "starts" at the alternate site, which they can do.

Or whoever is stretched out at the alt site. Presumably a couple guys will be, and if it’s only one or two starts, Suarez, Detmers, Rodriguez, Pannone, whomever would be fine. 

And it’s not too hard to get someone stretched back out if it’s a long term deal, especially if Peña, Faria, Guerra and one of Barria/Sandoval are still in the pen. Plenty of length in those arms for someone to work back up to SP workload over a couple starts.

4 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

That's a fair point, it would leave us a bit short there unless Detmers proves he's ready to go and can be called up for spot starts, but we do need multi-innings guys in the pen this year. A strong pen is so valuable so I would still keep them both in there, then if (when) injury occurs go with a bull-pen game once or twice and stretch Barria out to fill the hole. Just my personal choice, but then I'm only a keyboard GM, what do I know hey? 🥴

I don't think Detmers would be considered an option at this point.  They aren't going to rush him up.  He's advanced, but the soonest we see him is by year's end, IMO.

Maybe Barria does make it as a multi-inning reliever, who knows.  I do think they will keep at least one of Barria or Sandoval at the alternate site, though, because I would say we'd much prefer one of them making a spot start at this point than Suarez, until Suarez shows some more consistency.  I do think he has good potential, though.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

Or whoever is stretched out at the alt site. Presumably a couple guys will be, and if it’s only one or two starts, Suarez, Detmers, Rodriguez, Pannone, whomever would be fine. 

And it’s not too hard to get someone stretched back out if it’s a long term deal, especially if Peña, Faria, Guerra and one of Barria/Sandoval are still in the pen. Plenty of length in those arms for someone to work back up to SP workload over a couple starts.

I highly doubt it'll be Chris Rodriguez or Detmers.  They'll be cautious with CRod as they start building him up.  Detmers isn't on the 40-man roster and they will presumably want to not rush him up to make a spot start in April.

We'll see how it turns out, but for now, my inclination is that they'll option at least one of Barria or Sandoval, so that they can be the "next man up" when the inevitable injury occurs.

15 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I highly doubt it'll be Chris Rodriguez or Detmers.  They'll be cautious with CRod as they start building him up.  Detmers isn't on the 40-man roster and they will presumably want to not rush him up to make a spot start in April.

We'll see how it turns out, but for now, my inclination is that they'll option at least one of Barria or Sandoval, so that they can be the "next man up" when the inevitable injury occurs.

Assuming that is indeed the case, who would you have in the pen for multi inning work? I just don't think Pena plus one of Barria/Sandoval is enough for the workload the pen is likely to get. I think we need three multi-inning guys this year.

7 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

Assuming that is indeed the case, who would you have in the pen for multi inning work? I just don't think Pena plus one of Barria/Sandoval is enough for the workload the pen is likely to get. I think we need three multi-inning guys this year.

Pena is certainly one, but beyond that, I can see Rivera being used for multiple innings in a mop-up type role.  Mayers pitched multiple innings on multiple occasions last year.  And most importantly, what we will probably do is what the other progressive teams did in years past - cycle through relievers by aggressively optioning guys back and forth, to the extent we can.

EDIT:  Forgot to mention Slegers.  Look at his game logs from last year:  https://www.fangraphs.com/players/aaron-slegers/15231/game-log?position=P&season=

Lots of 2-3 inning stints.

15 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I've been bullish on Rengifo for awhile.  He has a lot of talent and a good eye.  It's easy to forget but the dude is still super young - he just turned 24 last month.  I think he'll be a key contributor - perhaps more of a bench guy this year, but I would anticipate him being a starter by next year, or at least play in a lot of games all over the diamond.

Lagares has had a nice spring, and while I don't think he has won anything yet, he certainly is the best fit in that he's a natural backup for Trout.  We don't really have anyone else who can play CF.  Fowler can get by for a game or so, but not much more than that.

Cobb has been a pleasant surprise, albeit in a SSS.  His velocity is up, which makes his off speed pitchers better, too.  Maybe Minasian knows what he's doing and is actually a good GM 😉

Fowler played mostly right in 2020 and 2018, but in 2017 and 2019 he played mostly CF.

I’m hoping that Mike Trout plays 80 of the 90 1st half games in CF and DH’s 7-10 times.

Fowler is more than capable of playing CF if Jo Adell or Brandon Marsh is not up yet.

Lagares and Jay though are superior fielders and play LF as well, where Upton can maybe be replaced in the OF in the 9th inning.

I think they carry 4 OF, 6 INF, and 2 C but I also think there may be one more position player spot up for grabs, so it could be Ward, Barretto, Thaiss, Rojas, or another of Jay and Lagares. 

4 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Fowler played mostly right in 2020 and 2018, but in 2017 and 2019 he played mostly CF.

I’m hoping that Mike Trout plays 80 of the 90 1st half games in CF and DH’s 7-10 times.

Fowler is more than capable of playing CF if Jo Adell or Brandon Marsh is not up yet.

Lagares and Jay though are superior fielders and play LF as well, where Upton can maybe be replaced in the OF in the 9th inning.

I think they carry 4 OF, 6 INF, and 2 C but I also think there may be one more position player spot up for grabs, so it could be Ward, Barretto, Thaiss, Rojas, or another of Jay and Lagares. 

I'm okay with Fowler covering CF on occasion, but I think he's pretty poor out there, and given the importance of CF defense, I'd rather have Lagares, who is very good out there.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with Barreto.  Eppler wanted him, but his plate discipline has historically been so awful that I'm not sure he fits in line with what Minasian would want.  He has no options, so I'm curious to see what they decide.  I think Rengifo is a better player, but he has options, so that obviously factors into the calculus.

22 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Pena is certainly one, but beyond that, I can see Rivera being used for multiple innings in a mop-up type role.  Mayers pitched multiple innings on multiple occasions last year.  And most importantly, what we will probably do is what the other progressive teams did in years past - cycle through relievers by aggressively optioning guys back and forth, to the extent we can.

OK, I'm with you on the aggressive optioning, but I would want to keep Mayers' arm as fresh as possible so he can be the set-up guy, so I'm still leaning towards Sandoval and Barria as long relief. I just think they will impact the ball-club more in that role than as a stretched out occasional spot-starter.

16 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Every spring Rojas does more than enough to make team. Always sent back to minors, why no other team trades for him I do not understand. Be great fit for rebuilding team as a fill in for a year. I do not think he makes halo team so sad for him.

I think Rojas gets an opportunity in the majors at some point this season.

I believe he would've if there was a full season last year.

At some point, if he keeps producing, there are going to be enough injuries or under performance where he'd warrant a call-up. In a 60 game season last year, there wasn't as much time for all the injuries and under-performance to play out. In a full 162, it likely will.

Also, the fact that the Angels haven't protected him from the Rule 5 draft, that no one else has traded for him, and that no one has picked him in the Rule 5 draft suggests that many evaluators don't see much of a major league future for him.

What's interesting about the battle for the Angels last few bullpen spots is that a lot of the contenders for those spots haven't pitched.

Bard is injured. Claudio was injured and still hasn't pitched in a ST game. Quijada hasn't even arrived at camp. Rivera was late to camp and his velo was down in the B game. Slegers has had back spasms. Chavez signed late and has only pitched in 1 game so far. Guerra arrived late and has only pitched in 1 game. McCurry and Reyes had TJ. Naughton got shutdown from throwing for a bit. Peters also had back spasms.

37 minutes ago, Hubs said:

So 8 in bullpen and 6 starters, who makes bullpen. I have Faria making it.

Looking at the bullpen right now, the only locks would be Iglesias, Mayers, Pena, and Buttrey. The last 4 spots may come down to health over performance, which isn't ideal.

Claudio is a lock if he's healthy. Barria is a lock if he's out of options. Guerra is probably a lock if he's healthy. Rivera may not be a lock anymore considering his injury and declining velo.

I think Faria has really impressed so far and has a very good chance of making the team. He likely takes the role Slegers would've had if Slegers was healthy.

13 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Bard is injured. Claudio was injured and still hasn't pitched in a ST game. Quijada hasn't even arrived at camp. Rivera was late to camp and his velo was down in the B game. Slegers has had back spasms. Chavez signed late and has only pitched in 1 game so far. Guerra arrived late and has only pitched in 1 game. McCurry and Reyes had TJ. Naughton got shutdown from throwing for a bit. Peters also had back spasms.

That paragraph is just soooo the Angels. 🙃 

Just now, Angels 1961 said:

So 8 in bullpen and 6 starters, who makes bullpen. I have Faria making it.

If I had to guess right now, I'd say: Iglesias, Mayers, Pena, Buttrey, Claudio, Guerra, Faria, and Barria.

If Barria has options, then replace Barria with Slegers. If Slegers isn't healthy, then it might be Chavez for the 8th spot in the pen.

34 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I'm okay with Fowler covering CF on occasion, but I think he's pretty poor out there, and given the importance of CF defense, I'd rather have Lagares, who is very good out there.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with Barreto.  Eppler wanted him, but his plate discipline has historically been so awful that I'm not sure he fits in line with what Minasian would want.  He has no options, so I'm curious to see what they decide.  I think Rengifo is a better player, but he has options, so that obviously factors into the calculus.

We still haven't seen Fowler play CF in ST. I'd expect that he'd get at least a couple appearances there.

As of now, I'd keep Barreto on the active roster and option Rengifo to maintain the depth. My only concern with doing that is I wonder if it would hurt Rengifo's confidence if he got sent down after having a good camp.

Regardless, it's a good thing if Barreto and Rengifo make it a tough decision.

Just now, Trendon said:

Looking at the bullpen right now, the only locks would be Iglesias, Mayers, Pena, and Buttrey. The last 4 spots may come down to health over performance, which isn't ideal.

Claudio is a lock if he's healthy. Barria is a lock if he's out of options. Guerra is probably a lock if he's healthy. Rivera may not be a lock anymore considering his injury and declining velo.

I think Faria has really impressed so far and has a very good chance of making the team. He likely takes the role Slegers would've had if Slegers was healthy.

I do not have Buttrey as a lock. Need lefty in pen I put Sandoval if Claudio not ready. Barria for sure if out of options. I also think Minasian picks someone else up or makes a trade. 

54 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

I think there's a lot of guys who Maddon sees as multi-inning options. Not all of these guys will make it, but the multi-inning options figure to include:

Jaime Barria, Mike Mayers, Felix Pena, Jose Alberto Rivera, Patrick Sandoval, Aaron Slegers, Jose Suarez, Jesse Chavez, Jake Faria, Junior Guerra, and Thomas Pannone.

Keeping Mayers on a more set-up/1 inning type role would likely be the way I'd go, but it sounds like the see him as a multi-inning option.

2 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

I do not have Buttrey as a lock. Need lefty in pen I put Sandoval if Claudio not ready. Barria for sure if out of options. I also think Minasian picks someone else up or makes a trade. 

I think the org sees Buttrey as a lock, regardless of whether he should be or not.

I don't think the Angels value lefties out of the pen that much, as they trust some of their RHP's to get lefties out, such as Mayers.

The problem with a Minasian pickup is that unless they are already in camp with another team, they may not be ready to start the season if they sign this late.