• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Spring Training News & Notes Thread

Chuck

2 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

What is stupid is not to have your best players on the field. 5 years of losing and putting a talent like C Rod in minors is a waste. This halo bullpen is weak and if Rodriguez can make a big difference I put him in bullpen. Just have another so so season. 

Weren't you one that was begging for Adell to be our Starting Rf last year? 

It not always about talent, it also about being ready! For you 2 at bats might be enough to determine if he's ready or not, but most of us, we rather see the long-term outcome than a year's outcome! 

Most of us, rather have him in the Minors, stretched out, have a routine, work with his stuff and once he's ready gets the call and is in the rotation. 

I can gurantee you that he will be more value down the road than compared to right now. 

15 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Weren't you one that was begging for Adell to be our Starting Rf last year? 

It not always about talent, it also about being ready! For you 2 at bats might be enough to determine if he's ready or not, but most of us, we rather see the long-term outcome than a year's outcome! 

Most of us, rather have him in the Minors, stretched out, have a routine, work with his stuff and once he's ready gets the call and is in the rotation. 

I can gurantee you that he will be more value down the road than compared to right now. 

It’s hilarious you actually humor his takes.

17 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:
Interesting bit from Fangraphs earlier today:

Stanky: Wondering when you’re going to re-evaluate Chris Rodriguez, based upon the very positive words from camp last year–including health–and the nasty stuff we’ve seen in spring so far.
12:10
Eric A Longenhagen: I think you still need to factor the injury history into how you line him up. His delivery is still so violent. But he’s got three bat-missing pitches. I hope then ‘pen him and put him in the big leagues immediately, for a number of reasons.

I might not be a scout, what i don't his delivery is as Violent as Longenhagen is trying to say. I actually thing he has good mechanics and he's able to repeat it. Yes, there was a time where it was violen. 

1 hour ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I might not be a scout, what i don't his delivery is as Violent as Longenhagen is trying to say. I actually thing he has good mechanics and he's able to repeat it. Yes, there was a time where it was violen. 

Rodriguez mentioned his delivery is less violent, but it still looks a bit much. I wouldn’t mind if he learned to live at 94-96 with a less violent delivery. 

5 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

The Pride of Hofstra.

i'm jumping in at the end of a conversation that i didn't read.

having said that, i'm a believer in introducing starting pitching prospects to the big leagues as a reliever, even a long/low leverage reliever. the argument against for pitching and position prospects alike is lack of playing time equals lack of development. i don't subscribe to that, i think there's far greater benefit by letting them dip their toes in while being exposed to the big league game and culture, and they'll show you if they're ready for more innings and higher leverage situations.

With Rodriguez, I'll place my faith in Minasian to ultimately determine the best pathway for him moving forward.  Minasian does have a strong pedigree when it comes to working in systems that did a rather good job of developing and promoting their prospects.

We may have mixed thoughts on the acquisitions he made this offseason, but if it turns out that he is mediocre in signings/trades but fantastic at player / prospect development, I'll take that as a huge win for us.

For now, the way I see it, we have a 6-man rotation, and if Barria does indeed have another option, we have 2 SPs in AAA who should provide immediate SP depth (Barria, Sandoval), thus effectively giving us 8 competent SP options.  If Suarez makes any kind of progress, then perhaps we have 9, with Detmers and CRod as SP possibilities by season's end, or perhaps more realistically, 2022.

Then, in 2022, we have, at the minimum, Ohtani, Canning, Sandoval, Barria, Detmers, and CRod (f his health holds up).  We will assuredly sign 1 or, more likely, 2 SPs in the offseason - maybe one is a significant re-signing for either Bundy or Heaney, and the other is probably more like what we did with Quintana - find a SP we can sign to a one-year deal to fill a gap, as we continue to work on developing internal options to help fortify our rotation.

If that happens, then in 2022, we could have, say, Bundy, Ohtani, Canning, Detmers, Barria, _____ (acquired SP), with Sandoval continuing to serve as depth (or maybe as a LH relief pitcher), and CRod in AAA, as he has a delayed start to the season as part of the overall strategy to help gradually ramp up his innings (maybe 80-100 in 2021, then 120-140 in 2022).

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

After one week of games Angels team pitching:

ERA 6.56 (27th out of 30 teams)
WHIP 1.69 (25th)
AVG .281 (26th)

A lot of that is lesser prospects plus Mayers meltdown yesterday (hoping it just being due to the line drive off his leg).

Each expected starter plus Iglesias has looked fine.

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

A lot of that is lesser prospects plus Mayers meltdown yesterday (hoping it just being due to the line drive off his leg).

Each expected starter plus Iglesias has looked fine.

Something tells me Bard and his 40 ERA isn’t making the team.  We know McCurry and his 40 ERA is probably out because he’s going to get a second opinion on his elbow, you don’t do that unless the first opinion was surgery. 
Starters have looked good, and the pen hasn’t but that’s not unusual.  Pena, Mayer’s and Farria all had bad outings, those are the ones that matter. 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

WHIP 1.69 (25th)
AVG .281 (26th)

https://www.mlb.com/stats/pitching/los-angeles-angels  To qualify, a player must have 0.6 IP per team game.
https://www.mlb.com/stats/los-angeles-angels To qualify, a player must have 1.86 PA per team game played.

The Office Laughing GIF

2 hours ago, Jay said:

WHIP 1.69 (25th)
AVG .281 (26th)

I wouldn't read anything into that at all, and here's why- Joe Maddon has only "rolled" an inning ONCE.

Maddon keeps on bringing in other pitchers instead of rolling innings, which results in more runs being allowed. Other teams are rolling innings, which leads to potential runs not being allowed.

Additionally, as always of course, it's Spring Training, where results aren't the main focus.