• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Spring Training News & Notes Thread

Chuck

The biggest news for me was from OC Register's @Jeff Fletcher report from Joe Maddon on Shoehi Ohtani. 

“He was showing velocity numbers, and it’s hard to show 95-plus in a workout,” the Angels manager said Tuesday, the day before the Angels first official workout of the spring in Tempe, Ariz. “He looked magnificent. The way the arm was working. The (velocity) numbers were high. Normally you get a workout or a (bullpen session), a guy is working on things, and you get a nice number, but you’re not going to get a big number. These numbers are big.”

12 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

The biggest news for me was from OC Register's @Jeff Fletcher report from Joe Maddon on Shoehi Ohtani. 

“He was showing velocity numbers, and it’s hard to show 95-plus in a workout,” the Angels manager said Tuesday, the day before the Angels first official workout of the spring in Tempe, Ariz. “He looked magnificent. The way the arm was working. The (velocity) numbers were high. Normally you get a workout or a (bullpen session), a guy is working on things, and you get a nice number, but you’re not going to get a big number. These numbers are big.”

Please, please let him be healthy all season.

21 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Dude's got something to prove. 

PLEASE don't buttercup me. I wanna see this guy absolutely dominate on the mound and in the box.

I'm going to stay optimistic with Ohtani because he's still very young. 

But damn, imagine a full season at 2018 performance level. WOW.

7 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Dude's got something to prove. 

PLEASE don't buttercup me. I wanna see this guy absolutely dominate on the mound and in the box.

I'm going to stay optimistic with Ohtani because he's still very young. 

But damn, imagine a full season at 2018 performance level. WOW.

Yep!  Man, I'm doing my best not to get excited by this "news," but it's hard not to, given what was said.  If I were Maddon (or anyone else associated with the Angels), I'd probably underplay anything related to Ohtani for a while.

Just now, jsnpritchett said:

Yep!  Man, I'm doing my best not to get excited by this "news," but it's hard not to, given what was said.  If I were Maddon (or anyone else associated with the Angels), I'd probably underplay anything related to Ohtani for a while.

Agreed.

Again optimistic, but how much of difference do these two rotation options look (order based on performance. 1 being Ace and so on)....

Bundy, Heaney, Quintana, Canning, Cobb, Ohtani

or 

Ohtani, Bundy, Heaney, Canning, Quintana, Cobb

38 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

It really is hard not to get excited by what Maddon said. It doesn't seem like the usual "he looks good and the arm is feeling good but that's as far as I'm going to go"  stuff. But still trying my best not to jump to conclusions before spring training.

44 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

He was in the best arm-shape of his life.

If nothing else. Ohtani will be going into spring with a lot more confidence in his elbow than going in last year.  The extra year will allow him to concentrate on his mechanics and pitches without (or less of) the trepidation that comes with coming off of TJ.  I expect good things.  A full season, albeit likely less than 130 innings, of even 80% of 2018 Ohtani, will go a long way toward taking away innings from the back end of the rotation and further insulate it from the effects of the inevitable injuries.  

yti6E31.gif&f=1&nofb=1

2 minutes ago, Junkballer said:

If nothing else. Ohtani will be going into spring with a lot more confidence in his elbow than going in last year.  The extra year will allow him to concentrate on his mechanics and pitches without (or less of) the trepidation that comes with coming off of TJ.  I expect good things.  A full season, albeit likely less than 130 innings, of even 80% of 2018 Ohtani, will go a long way toward taking away innings from the back end of the rotation and further insulate it from the effects of the inevitable injuries.  

If only 130 inn I'm wondering if they do not put him in rotation until May. 18 to 20 starts

Last year, the warning signs were when Ohtani wasn't controlling the ball even in Spring training (hitting batters in practice and walking a ton). I will get my hopes up when I hear he has more control. Being a year away from his TJ will help a ton. Hope the news on Ohtani is positive this year. He looked completely defeated and demoralized last year (on the mound AND at the plate)

• Chuck changed the title to The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Spring Training News & Notes Thread