• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

3 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Oliver Ortega is staying hot: 

1 inning with 1 hit allowed no walks and 3 strikeouts 

He needs to be called up right now! there's no point in keeping him. he's pitched alot better than what his numbers suggest! I've seen him, where he dominate the first inning and than fall apart in the second. he's a one inning guy with Closer stuff! 

I'm really hoping to see Ortega part of the crop of call ups after the trade deadline. 

Furthermore, if they can't trade some of these guys like Guerra, Cishek, Bundy, and Quintana..... I'd just cut them loose. They're blocking kids that are ready for a shot and they certainly aren't helping the team win. 

6 minutes ago, Angels Fan Forever said:

It feels like September call ups will be different this year. AAA teams play through 10/3 now and the MLB rosters will only expand from 26 to 28. Teams can't bring up their whole 40 man roster any longer. Maybe I'm missing something or have bad info.

I still don’t understand MLB’s thinking.

Once September arrives, it’s good to have reinforcements.

They couldn’t have allowed 30 players in September instead of just 28?

With all of your discussion about future SS/MIF prospects and whether or not to sign a major SS FA this offseason, here's something to consider. I was out at the IE66ers today and caught some of the pregame practice. If you look at the guy cutting across 2B (making the play from SS), that's D'Shawn Knowles taking reps at SS. He hasn't seen any time in a game at SS, but that appears to be in the works.

What this tells me is that the Angels value player versatility. They see their OF possibly/probably set for a bit with Trout, Marsh, Upton, Adell, and Adams, so giving Knowles time at another position will open up more opportunities for him. And, it says that with Ohtani and the need to carry more pitchers, having a limited bench makes someone like Knowles, who can be a 4th OF, a backup MIFer, and a pinch runner makes him far more valuable.

Just some more information for everyone to consider and discuss.

P7201125.JPG

P7201124.JPG

Knowles definitely seems like a guy who, if he doesn’t take another another step forward in the next year or so, would be an ideal guy to convert to a sort of UT/McLemore/Figgins/Romine-type. Switch-hitter with a lot of speed, bit of pop, decent defense, can draw a walk.

I feel like he played or was listed as a 2B/OF for awhile too. 

He’s one of my favorites too. Hasn’t really shown in results yet but I see a lot of potential.

What’s the deal with Stefanic?

Would the Angels entertain the idea of sliding Fletcher over if Iglesias is dealt at the deadline to see if Stefanic can hit at the ML level?

I know the Angels like Fletch at 2nd but if Stefanic can hit and play 2nd that’s an extremely cheap middle infield for years to come with a couple potential .300 hitters…

1 minute ago, CanadianHalo said:

Would the Angels entertain the idea of sliding Fletcher over if Iglesias is dealt at the deadline to see if Stefanic can hit at the ML level?

I know the Angels like Fletch at 2nd but if Stefanic can hit and play 2nd that’s an extremely cheap middle infield for years to come with a couple potential .300 hitters…

Thank you!!!

I personally feel this is totally viable and it's something I would completely try if I was the GM. Fletcher might not be an elite SS, but I haven't seen anything to make me think he couldn't be at least a solid SS for a year or two, until he starts to slow a bit and someone with better defense ascends to the MLB team. And I think Stefanic can be a legitimate MLB hitter, maybe not to the same level as Fletcher has done, but similar - high contact, decent OBP, a little pop. 

Finding a solid 2B should be easier than finding a solid SS too, so it gives you some flexibility in the winter.

11 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Thank you!!!

I personally feel this is totally viable and it's something I would completely try if I was the GM. Fletcher might not be an elite SS, but I haven't seen anything to make me think he couldn't be at least a solid SS for a year or two, until he starts to slow a bit and someone with better defense ascends to the MLB team. And I think Stefanic can be a legitimate MLB hitter, maybe not to the same level as Fletcher has done, but similar - high contact, decent OBP, a little pop. 

Finding a solid 2B should be easier than finding a solid SS too, so it gives you some flexibility in the winter.

Fletcher is good at second, and decent at SS. His UZR/150 in 658 career innings at SS is 1.7. His UZR/150 at 2B in 1362 career innings is 6.7

Makes sense to me, It's not like he's a butcher there and he would probably get even better with reps. Jose Iglesias btw in 2021 at SS has a -8.7 UZR/150 in 679 innings. His only negative year other than 2011 when he played 18 innings there. Every other year he was well into the positives. Not sure what his deal is this season on the defensive side, dude goes 8 straight years as a great defender then comes here and suddenly he's like Jeter at SS defensively.

43 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

39 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Thank you!!!

According to Taylor Blake Ward, Minasian is a huge fan of Stefanic. Also here is a Baseball America report on him from early this month:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/baseball-america-prospect-report-july-6-2021/

Michael Stefanic, 2B/3B, Triple-A Salt Lake (Angels) — A nondrafted free agent signing in 2018 out of Division III Westmont (Calif.), Stefanic is the stereotypical good ballplayer who keeps outperforming—and ultimately has a better career—than many toolsier, athletic types. Stefanic went 2 for 4 with a double, a home run, two runs scored and three RBIs to lead Triple-A Salt Lake to a 5-4 win over Oklahoma City on Monday. The 25-year-old is now batting .315/.396/.470 on the season between Double-A Mobile and Triple-A. Stefanic is capable of playing both second base and third base and can stand in at shortstop as needed. Between his defensive versatility, knack for contact and advanced baseball instincts, he has a legitimate chance to find himself in the majors in the near future.

20 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Fletcher is good at second, and decent at SS. His UZR/150 in 658 career innings at SS is 1.7. His UZR/150 at 2B in 1362 career innings is 6.7

Makes sense to me, It's not like he's a butcher there and he would probably get even better with reps. Jose Iglesias btw in 2021 at SS has a -8.7 UZR/150 in 679 innings. His only negative year other than 2011 when he played 18 innings there. Every other year he was well into the positives. Not sure what his deal is this season on the defensive side, dude goes 8 straight years as a great defender then comes here and suddenly he's like Jeter at SS defensively.

I think he’d improve at SS with reps like you said - and I don’t like him there long-term, but if can get his offensive production plus solid defense at SS for his contract the next two years…that’s some awesome value. To find equivalent value via trade or FA for SS would be significantly more expensive, though this off-season might be the other way around. 

It again frees up guys like Rengifo as trade bait if he has any value, and to a lesser degree Jackson et al. if Fletcher proves more than adequate, and opens a path for the multitude of 2B options we have in Stefanic, Rojas, Wong…

Edited by totdprods

Stefanic, I think (or hope), is exactly the type of fringe guy who becomes a sleeper prospect - like Fletcher, Walsh, Calhoun, etc. I'm not saying he'll be as good as those guys, but I think he has a real chance of being a valuable major leaguer.

And I agree on that plan: trade Iglesias, as he has some value to a contending team looking to bolster their versatility or wanting a veteran, and then call up Stefanic and rotate him and Rengifo in with Fletcher at 2B/SS. The point being to assess Stefanic as a possible UT or even starter for next year.

I like Stefanic, but the idea of trading Iglesias in order to promote him is short-sighted in my opinion. 

Stefanic is 25, a year older than Rengifo, and is hitting .304 in AAA. Not bad right? Rengifo hit .331 in AAA this year, and he's a switch hitter, and he's a better defender than Stefanic. 

Fletcher is elite at 2B, and Iglesias is solid at SS. But trading Iglesias you install a merely solid SS and solid 2B, and thus effectively make the defense worse. 

The best course of action may be to re-up Iglesias and use Rengifo at UT. Or if you're deadest on having Stefanic up, put Rengifo at SS and use Stefanic as the backup 2B so you can shift Fletch around as needed. 

2 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I like Stefanic, but the idea of trading Iglesias in order to promote him is short-sighted in my opinion. 

Stefanic is 25, a year older than Rengifo, and is hitting .304 in AAA. Not bad right? Rengifo hit .331 in AAA this year, and he's a switch hitter, and he's a better defender than Stefanic. 

Fletcher is elite at 2B, and Iglesias is solid at SS. But trading Iglesias you install a merely solid SS and solid 2B, and thus effectively make the defense worse. 

The best course of action may be to re-up Iglesias and use Rengifo at UT. Or if you're deadest on having Stefanic up, put Rengifo at SS and use Stefanic as the backup 2B so you can shift Fletch around as needed. 

I don't think they should trade Iglesias in order to promote Stefanic; I think they should trade Iglesias because a contending team might want him, and maybe they can get a decent (FV 45) prospect for him.

Now if there are no takers, of course you don't just dump Iglesias for any random offer.

Early mock: 2022's Top 20 Draft prospects

13. Angels: Brandon Barriera, LHP, American Heritage Plantation HS (Fla.)
Hailing from the same high school as Eric Hosmer and Zack Collins, Barriera is a 6-foot-1 lefty with excellent stuff (a fastball that runs up to the mid-90s to go along with a good feel for his changeup and spinning a breaking ball) and excellent command. He’s committed to Vanderbilt.

19 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

I still don’t understand MLB’s thinking.

Once September arrives, it’s good to have reinforcements.

They couldn’t have allowed 30 players in September instead of just 28?

30 is reasonable, but they are just trying to limit the number of relief pitchers a team has. I know the new rules limit pitching changes, but I'm sure they are worried about teams figuring out ways around it and games taking forever.

If given everyday at bats, I think Stefanic is a .260/.330 hitter with little speed or power, decent defense at 2B, with the ability to fill in at 3B and SS for short stretches. He'd hold his own, for sure, but more of a starter on a down and out team, not a contender. 

Rengifo would be more of a .280/.340 hitter that bats from both sides, would steal 15+ bags, and is a good defensive 2B or adequate SS, and someone that can fill in at 3B. Not elite, not an all-star, but solid on most teams as a utility infielder or starting 2B.

I know as fans there's this push to get the next guy up and inflate him into possibly a really good player (I know I'm guilty of it) but Stefanic isn't quite where Rengifo is. Rengifo is no longer the shiny new toy, but it's important to keep perspective. This is a 24 year old with a skill set that absolutely does transfer to the big leagues on an everyday basis. The opportunity just hasn't been there yet and he isn't finished developing.

When he first came up at 21, he was drawing comps to Jose Reyes and while those were a bit inflated, I do think Rengifo has a decent Maicer Izturis type of career ahead of him. You guys may remember Izzy, he was useful wherever they plugged him in at. 

And let's keep in mind that just because Fletcher turned into a stud, doesn't mean every player with a skill set similar to his will. I like Stefanic but I don't want us to get ahead of ourselves. 

I think an infield with Iglesias at SS, Fletcher at 2B and Rengifo at utility is a good set up. Iglesias can hit and play some decent defense. He won't be an all-star but he's clearly a good starting option. Fletcher is obviously amazing at 2B and I think Rengifo offers the look you want from a utility option. He's a pinch hitter and pinch runner and can play good enough defense to hold his own in the infield. 

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

If given everyday at bats, I think Stefanic is a .260/.330 hitter with little speed or power, decent defense at 2B, with the ability to fill in at 3B and SS for short stretches. He'd hold his own, for sure, but more of a starter on a down and out team, not a contender. 

Rengifo would be more of a .280/.340 hitter that bats from both sides, would steal 15+ bags, and is a good defensive 2B or adequate SS, and someone that can fill in at 3B. Not elite, not an all-star, but solid on most teams as a utility infielder or starting 2B.

I know as fans there's this push to get the next guy up and inflate him into possibly a really good player (I know I'm guilty of it) but Stefanic isn't quite where Rengifo is. Rengifo is no longer the shiny new toy, but it's important to keep perspective. This is a 24 year old with a skill set that absolutely does transfer to the big leagues on an everyday basis. The opportunity just hasn't been there yet and he isn't finished developing.

When he first came up at 21, he was drawing comps to Jose Reyes and while those were a bit inflated, I do think Rengifo has a decent Maicer Izturis type of career ahead of him. You guys may remember Izzy, he was useful wherever they plugged him in at. 

And let's keep in mind that just because Fletcher turned into a stud, doesn't mean every player with a skill set similar to his will. I like Stefanic but I don't want us to get ahead of ourselves. 

I think an infield with Iglesias at SS, Fletcher at 2B and Rengifo at utility is a good set up. Iglesias can hit and play some decent defense. He won't be an all-star but he's clearly a good starting option. Fletcher is obviously amazing at 2B and I think Rengifo offers the look you want from a utility option. He's a pinch hitter and pinch runner and can play good enough defense to hold his own in the infield. 

I agree, but you could also save a few million and go with Fletcher, Rengifo, and Stefanic, with Barreto also trying to rebuild some value.

Again, the Angels lineup next year is going to be really, really good. They can afford to roll the dice on some combination of Rengifo/Stefanic/Barreto. Who knows, maybe Luis Aviles or Brendon Davis could be worth checking out.

I have nothing against Iglesias, and if he'll re-sign for, say, 2/$8M, he's probably worth it. But I think he's a solid trade chip and would like to see if Minasian can turn him into a 45 FV prospect. He'll still be available as a free agent. But if not, they can give the SS job to Rengifo and, if he isn't holding his own after a couple months, they have some solid fill-in options in Stefanic, Barreto, Aviles, and Davis.