• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

6 hours ago, Second Base said:

I don't disagree with firing Eppler, but I think it's important to recognize and give credit where it's due. He absolutely sucked at acquiring FA pitching, but had Sandoval and Suarez broken out a year sooner, had Ohtani been healthy a year sooner, Eppler wouldn't have been fired. 

But with the exception of Quintana and the bullpen, Minasian appears to know what he's doing. He didn't seem in over his head at all. 

Quintana FIP 4.35.   Were it not for horrible defense I doubt people would be shitting on the signing.

7 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Quintana FIP 4.35.   Were it not for horrible defense I doubt people would be shitting on the signing.

FIP is a good yet flawed measurement. You know as well as I do, you could put the best defense in the world behind Quintana and he's still getting shelled. 

5 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

The Barria Controversy is just weird. It isn't like there haven't been opportunities or that he's performed badly in the minors. I don't see him as anything more than a #4-5 starter long-term, but that still has value.

I think it comes down to stuff.  His margin for error is thin, he's likely viewed as volatile as a result, particularly for teams that track modeling outcomes.

In the 1980s early 90s teams would view him differently.

5 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

The Barria Controversy is just weird. It isn't like there haven't been opportunities or that he's performed badly in the minors. I don't see him as anything more than a #4-5 starter long-term, but that still has value.

yes i agree, but Barria has not been given the chance to be that 4-5 starter for any extend period of time in the majors recently.

15 minutes ago, Second Base said:

FIP is a good yet flawed measurement. You know as well as I do, you could put the best defense in the world behind Quintana and he's still getting shelled. 

Except the statistic is arguing the complete opposite of what you're saying.  FIP, xFIP, xERA, Sierra....  They all make the same argument.   When you see all the data points make the same argument you can't write them all off as being "flawed".

I don't know as well as you do that he'd be getting shelled because we value different things, but all the predictive data out there says that at worst with a league average defense his ERA would be 4.60.  

Defense has been a major issue for this team and it was most obvious when he was on the mound.  The dolt made things worse for himself by suddenly becoming a walk machine but given the spike in K rate, its possible he was trying to be to fine in part because of the defense behind him.

When push comes to shove it will be looked at as a bad signing but, we aren't talking Harvey/Cahill level of ineffectiveness.

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

It's not about it being your decision. You seen to know enough about zoning laws, I'm assuming apartments are less likely to violate zoning laws in most cities where minor league teams are located. 

Oh, ok.

You stayed "next to the stadium." Arte can't just build residences next to stadiums, which are commercial zones.

1 minute ago, Lou said:

Oh, ok.

You stayed "next to the stadium." Arte can't just build residences next to stadiums, which are commercial zones.

That's likely more work than its worth anyway..  It's really not that hard to book hotels for 6 month blocks, especially in towns like Rat-piss Arkansas and the sort.  He'll, they could like find a way to turn it into an operating expense of some kind given all the bookkeeping games MLB plays.

On 7/23/2021 at 12:22 AM, ScottSted said:

Did the Angels find some gold with Edwin Yon? That’s a great swing.

I have a great interview with Yon that I will try to publish next week. Really good guy. 

As for his height it's been updated to 6' 8" (mostly because I pointed out that he had to be taller than 6' 5") and that may still be an understatement. 

6 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

THIS is where I think FIP leaves a bit to be desired and why SIERA is a better data point.  The assumption that a pitcher has zero control over contact allowed doesn't feel right when we consistently see guys induce things at critical moments or conversely fail.

I think it treats all pitchers as if they are power or swing-and-miss guys, and leaves finesse and pitchability to the way-side. In the end, runs are what matters, so when a pitcher consistently outperforms FIP (like Jered Weaver), that is a real thing.

16 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

I’d much prefer Quintana coming in that 6th inning yesterday, over ShitShek.

He’s still striking batters out in relief, and cut the walks down a lot (2 in 9.1 innings).

Edited by Angel Oracle

3 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

I’d much prefer Quintana coming in that 6th inning yesterday, over ShitShek.

He’s still striking batters out in relief, and cut the walks down a lot (2 in 9.1 innings).

I feel this is a lost season for Quintana, I just don't think he's lost it ala Harvey/Cahill and other recent Angels failures.  It's good he's been better but no question he's been the biggest disappointment on the mound.