• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

24 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Jordyn Adams has 4 homers on the year, 3 of them coming in the last 4 games. He also has posted his 3rd straight multi hit game as he’s 2-2 so far tonight.

The numbers aren't yet looking like it, he's still missing a lot but the last 12-14 games he's been getting much better swings.  He's starting to groove a bit.

8 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

The numbers aren't yet looking like it, he's still missing a lot but the last 12-14 games he's been getting much better swings.  He's starting to groove a bit.

For all the swing and miss in his game this year he’s still managing a walk-rate of 10%. I actually didn’t realize until now he’s been rocking a rate of at least 10% practically every year since he was drafted.

IMO, the best comp for Michael Stefanic is Jack Mayfield.

I know that doesn't sound good, but that'd actually be a pretty decent outcome considering that Stefanic was undrafted.

I don't think it's fair to expect Stefanic to step in and be an average or even above average regular at second base.

EDIT: and I didn't even realize it until after the post, but Mayfield was also undrafted!

9 hours ago, Second Base said:

And let's keep in mind that just because Fletcher turned into a stud, doesn't mean every player with a skill set similar to his will. I like Stefanic but I don't want us to get ahead of ourselves.

I get your point

But how will we ever know if we don't give them a chance?

This is another treading water season

Trade the one year deals and let the kids get some experience

Hopefully 1 or 2 will surprise us

Edited by Redondo

As far as Stefanic goes, it isn't about expecting him to be Fletcher, but maximizing value. If you can get 1 WAR from $1-2M in cheap players over 2 WAR for $6-8M, that's $5M+ extra you can spend on more serious needs.

Similarly with pitching. The Angels have been chronically spending $20-30M or more a year on mediocre or bad veteran pitchers when they could probably get the same results--or better--from guys like Barria. The point being, if you're going to spend money, spend it wisely. Easier said than done, but the Angels keep doing this, year after year. If they can't figure out how to scout free agent pitchers, they might as well go the cheap route and use minor leaguers.

I'd rather they invest 90%+ of their money this offseason on pitching--especially the bullpen--and go the cheap route on one of nine lineup spots (SS or 2B). My biggest fear is that Maddon convinces Minasian to go hard after Baez, diminishing the amount of money they have to spend on pitching.

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

As far as Stefanic goes, it isn't about expecting him to be Fletcher, but maximizing value. If you can get 1 WAR from $1-2M in cheap players over 2 WAR for $6-8M, that's $5M+ extra you can spend on more serious needs.

Similarly with pitching. The Angels have been chronically spending $20-30M or more a year on mediocre or bad veteran pitchers when they could probably get the same results--or better--from guys like Barria. The point being, if you're going to spend money, spend it wisely. Easier said than done, but the Angels keep doing this, year after year. If they can't figure out how to scout free agent pitchers, they might as well go the cheap route and use minor leaguers.

I'd rather they invest 90%+ of their money this offseason on pitching--especially the bullpen--and go the cheap route on one of nine lineup spots (SS or 2B). My biggest fear is that Maddon convinces Minasian to go hard after Baez, diminishing the amount of money they have to spend on pitching.

Thanks, this was sort of the point I was trying to make in the advantage of moving Fletcher to SS. With his offense and solid SS for an affordable amount, you're getting huge value per dollar at SS - more than you'd be able to easily get on the FA/trade market. 

This offseason is a bit of an outlier though with how many SS are available. The best thing about Baez is his shitty 2021 might open him up for a one-year rebound deal, so if the Angels did go that route, it might not be a calamity. Semien, Villar, and keeping Iglesias all make sense too. 

I still think Arte is gonna have interest in a mega-SS though. 😕 

11 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Thanks, this was sort of the point I was trying to make in the advantage of moving Fletcher to SS. With his offense and solid SS for an affordable amount, you're getting huge value per dollar at SS - more than you'd be able to easily get on the FA/trade market. 

This offseason is a bit of an outlier though with how many SS are available. The best thing about Baez is his shitty 2021 might open him up for a one-year rebound deal, so if the Angels did go that route, it might not be a calamity. Semien, Villar, and keeping Iglesias all make sense too. 

Yeah, I'm concerned. Actually, Baez's shitty 2021 is less shitty than his shittier 2020. This is a guy who has never had an OBP higher than .326, is at .302 for his career, and well below .300 during the last two years. 

I see them as having three options:

1) They go after a big free agent, be it Baez, Correa, Story, Semien, even Seager.

2) They go for a lesser tier free agent, like Iglesias, Galvis, etc.

3) They go the budget route, and go with Fletcher as a starter at either SS or 2B, and then fill in the other position and UT with some combination of Rengifo, Stefanic, Barreto, Davis, possibly a cheap free agent.

I'd prefer the third option, but have a feeling they'll go for the 2nd, possibly the 1st.

18 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Anything other than pitching makes no sense.

9 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Anything other than pitching makes no sense.

We're still thin at catcher, potentially SS, and maybe one bench guy, based on who's here still at end of year. And if we trade, it could open up more holes.

Trying to solve the pitching by just FA won't end well.

Edited by totdprods

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

We're still thin at catcher, potentially SS, and maybe one bench guy, based on who's here still at end of year. And if we trade, it could open up more holes.

Trying to solve the pitching by just FA won't end well.

It hasn't ended well to date.  

I do not believe want another "big splash" at any position I am ok with a modest signing at SS.  However we either need to give our SS depth their chance or drop them so they can have a shot elsewhere.

I better find some solid relievers someplace.   10 out of 11 years of poor bullpen is long enough!  It's not a coincidence that the Angel's stopped being the best in the west at the same time our bullpen turned to shit!

16 minutes ago, stormngt said:

It hasn't ended well to date.  

I do not believe want another "big splash" at any position I am ok with a modest signing at SS.  However we either need to give our SS depth their chance or drop them so they can have a shot elsewhere.

I better find some solid relievers someplace.   10 out of 11 years of poor bullpen is long enough!  It's not a coincidence that the Angel's stopped being the best in the west at the same time our bullpen turned to shit!

Shopping for relievers in free agency is incredibly risky business, more than the SP market even.

Aside from developing your own, I still feel the Angels best shot at fixing their rotation and bullpen is via the trade market, and in order to really address it with impact talent, that likely means turning to our glut of SS prospects and a top OF prospect.

I'd prefer a modest SS investment too, but based on how Arte has operated, it would not surprise me one bit if he kicked the tires on a mega-SS. If that happened, at least it makes it easier to move some of that SS prospect talent for pitching.

If Arte spends on an expensive SS when the for need for upside pitching exists AND Shohei hasn't signed an extension, then I give up on him as the owner. 

That is complete, utter, ridiculousness. 

Acquiring Jose Iglesias has turned into a good value move made by Minasian. Given his background with both Toronto and Atlanta, where neither team spent big on a shortstop but focused on developing their own internally, it would be a strange separation of ideology. 

I think Minasian is a smart guy. Raisel Iglesias was a stroke of genius. Jose Iglesias was a good move. Alex Cobb was a great acquisition. He recognized the bullpen needed help entering the season and went and got Soegers, Watson and Cishek in a short amount of time. Yeah it hasn't worked out but it shows he's fully aware at least.

And he knows where this farm is strong. More position player prospects with upside than they know what to do with. A bountiful harvest someday. But short on long term pitching. 

Eppler is responsible for Ohtani, Sandoval, Suarez, Rodriguez, Canning, Barria and Detmers. Great depth. 

But long term, there was very little outside of Kochanowicz and Daniel. And Minasian being as smart as is, what did he do? He fixed the problem by drafting 20 pitchers in 20 picks. 

So seeing as Minasian is intelligent, what will he see as the big problems that need fixing?

1. Bullpen

2. Top of the rotation starters. 

That's it. 

Minasian is going to spend big on pitchers and if he spends anything more than 5 million on a middle infielder....well never mind. 

Also before people say that it is pointless to send them to Triple-A, apparently there  are new COVID protocols that make it a lot easier to call up players from Triple-A rather than Double-A

https://www.mlb.com/news/covid-related-rules-for-prospect-callups

Before the pandemic, a player could be called up from any level, though they obviously came mostly from Triple-A. Now, only players from that highest level of Minor League competition are allowed to be brought up directly to the big leagues, because those players and coaches have had to adhere to the same Tier 1 protocols that are being utilized at the highest level.

For players getting promoted from Triple-A, getting a rapid test is strongly recommended.

It’s not completely impossible to call someone up from, say, Double-A, as used to happen on occasion. But that player would have to quarantine, in effect, for an extended period, before being allowed to join the big league roster, a tough hill to climb for a big league club that has an immediate need.