• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Snell to the Padres

5 hours ago, Hubs said:

Is This is the equivalent of Adell, Detmers, CRod and Jack Kruger?

the Pads paid way less than that.  

the Hunt to Kruger comp is fine as is the Adell to Patino comp.  

Mejia is overrated in my opinion.  He's not very good behind the dish at all.  He's got an arm and that's about it.  He's got that prospect pedigree that everyone loves.  The bat is pretty good but he's got pretty weak discipline at best.  Honestly, I don't consider him any more valuable than a guy like Jam Jones.  

Wilcox is Hector Yan.  

People are going to freak out about this trade because Mejia used to be a top prospect but hasn't developed behind the dish with decreases his value tremendously.  

The Pads biggest advantage by far was what someone already mentioned and that's having depth at positions we just don't.  The halos could have easily created equal value on a spreadsheet but the Rays added pitching and catching depth to their farm.  

So Adell, Jones, Yan, and Kruger was of similar value on paper but if I were the rays, I'm taking the padres deal as well.  Which means it would have had to be Adell, Detmers, Yan and Kruger to get Snell.  Which would have been a considerable overpay in my opinion relative to Snell's red flags.  

The Dogs would likely spend on 3b or LF and likely the bullpen before they shell out for a top flight SP.  Plus, even though they have Lux who can slide over to SS if Seager leaves, they might want to save their money for Lindor.  

They're also going to bring Kershaw back on a 2-3 year deal.  At least I think they will.  

But if they really want Bauer, and they might, I could see them making a hard push.  So I wouldn't count them out by any stretch.  

Regardless, the pads pulled the trigger on this because they obviously knew that Bauer wouldn't be an option for them.  They were looking to make a big move either way so I don't think this necessarily means Bauer is going to the dogs.  

6 hours ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

For once, I don't see the Dodgers in on Bauer. They've got a huge payroll and plenty of young budding stars to pay in the near future. I think it comes down to the Angels and the Mets. Arte knows he needs to put pitching around Trout and Rendon. It has to happen now. 

I just don't see Minasian signing Bauer.  He'd be a great add, but unless Arte has decided to go over the luxury tax, this seems rather unlikely to me.

The problem is that sure, Pujols is coming off the payroll in one year and Upton in two years, but beyond that, we have a number of players who will be arbitration eligible and due for significant raises - Fletcher, Ohtani, Canning, etc.  And do we re-sign one of Bundy or Heaney?  If so, that's another issue.

Unfortunately, we need a cost-controlled SP who can pitch well.  That won't be Bauer.  Likely, it's someone like Gray, Castillo, Musgrove, etc, which will require some prospect capital to acquire.

Bauer, I'm guessing, may ultimately go to the Mets. No chance he goes to the Dodgers.

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

the Pads paid way less than that.  

the Hunt to Kruger comp is fine as is the Adell to Patino comp.  

Mejia is overrated in my opinion.  He's not very good behind the dish at all.  He's got an arm and that's about it.  He's got that prospect pedigree that everyone loves.  The bat is pretty good but he's got pretty weak discipline at best.  Honestly, I don't consider him any more valuable than a guy like Jam Jones.  

Wilcox is Hector Yan.  

People are going to freak out about this trade because Mejia used to be a top prospect but hasn't developed behind the dish with decreases his value tremendously.  

The Pads biggest advantage by far was what someone already mentioned and that's having depth at positions we just don't.  The halos could have easily created equal value on a spreadsheet but the Rays added pitching and catching depth to their farm.  

So Adell, Jones, Yan, and Kruger was of similar value on paper but if I were the rays, I'm taking the padres deal as well.  Which means it would have had to be Adell, Detmers, Yan and Kruger to get Snell.  Which would have been a considerable overpay in my opinion relative to Snell's red flags.  

To me, personally, Patino > Adell.  Patino has all the signs of a future ace, which to me is more valuable than a stud LF.  They are somewhat in the same realm of talent, but given the Rays are trading their current ace, it makes sense for them to acquire what appears to be a future ace, as opposed to a star LF, especially when they are Arozarena out there.

I don't think we could have beaten the Padres offer without gutting our farm system.  The Rays have a very significant catching need, and while Mejia isn't necessarily going to pan out as a catcher, I do think Hunt is rather superior to Kruger as a catching prospect, too.  

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

The Dogs would likely spend on 3b or LF and likely the bullpen before they shell out for a top flight SP.  Plus, even though they have Lux who can slide over to SS if Seager leaves, they might want to save their money for Lindor.  

They're also going to bring Kershaw back on a 2-3 year deal.  At least I think they will.  

But if they really want Bauer, and they might, I could see them making a hard push.  So I wouldn't count them out by any stretch.  

Regardless, the pads pulled the trigger on this because they obviously knew that Bauer wouldn't be an option for them.  They were looking to make a big move either way so I don't think this necessarily means Bauer is going to the dogs.  

The Dodgers have the luxury of being champions and having loads of talent everywhere, so they don't need to make any kind of reactionary move to the Padres' move.  They're still rated as a better team overall on Fangraphs, and barring the Padres making several more significant moves, I would expect the Dodgers to still be NL West champs.

They will not sign Bauer.  Friedman is the best FO executive in the game and knows not to overreact.  He'll be patient and look for good deals.  The Dodgers are going to stay below the LT tax, and there's no way they can sign Bauer and accomplish that, unless they trade us David Price + a small prospect for nothing.

I think Bauer probably ends up with the Mets at this point.  The only way I see Bauer coming here is if Arte agrees to go over the luxury tax and does so for years to come, which seems unlikely to me.  Minasian comes from the Anthropolous / Friedman tree, which generally avoids signing pitchers to long-term contracts due to the exorbitant risk fo decline.

2 hours ago, DMVol said:

Still think Gray makes the most sense for a trade....not sure how doable it is financially but taking on Moose or Castellanos would lower the prospect pain....

This is the crossroads the Angels could get stuck at.
Do they take Gray and one of Moose/Castellanos to save prospects but take themselves out of the Bauer race. Basically pick up a solid #2 guy.

OR

Pay a little more in prospects for someone like Castillo/Musgrove and still be able to make a run for Bauer.

Maddon said they need two pitchers. So it's more than likely gotta be a FA and a trade. 
Personally I'd take the risk with higher AAV for fewer years with Bauer. Doubt the guys wants anything over 4 years. 

With Snell being traded I think the trade market for pitchers has been set. I'm thinking the Angels pivot to Musgrove then run at Bauer.

Both can be had for a total of $30M or a little less if Bauer is backloaded. 

2 hours ago, DMVol said:

Still think Gray makes the most sense for a trade....not sure how doable it is financially but taking on Moose or Castellanos would lower the prospect pain....

I saw somewhere KC is looking for a LH power hitter and they have a positive history with Moose so perhaps a three team trade where Angels get Gray and KC gets Moose.  Angels send prospects to the Reds and pay down some of Moose’s salary, something like that?  

7 hours ago, Second Base said:

First of all, you sound like an idiot. Don't conclude your response with, "I'll wait."

It doesn't make you sound smart or cool, so just stop.

And to answer your question, do you mean why would LA offer a contract to Bauer?

I mean, why does a racecar driver drive fast?

That is what they do. Angel fans should not count on Bauer. I feel he ends up with Dodgers or Mets. Unless halos trade for top rotation tier 2 pitchers will end up with. 

1 hour ago, Revad said:

I saw somewhere KC is looking for a LH power hitter and they have a positive history with Moose so perhaps a three team trade where Angels get Gray and KC gets Moose.  Angels send prospects to the Reds and pay down some of Moose’s salary, something like that?  

I've thought about that kind of deal also....you probably would have to take on some of Moose's money but if it gets you Gray, doesn't cost Adell or Marsh and you can still look at other starters, might be possible. You could do the same thing with Castellanos also....

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Suitors for Bauer:

Angels, Mets, Blue Jays.  
The only other teams I could see being in the running would be Seattle of SF. 

I largely agree with this.  I don't think Seattle would spend on Bauer at this point.  SF could be a lurker in the competition, with SF eyeing 2022 to return to true contention, but Zaidi is Friedman's disciple, and I just don't see them doling out a long-term contract to a SP.  Maybe a short-term, high AAV deal, but that really doesn't make sense for SF right now, given they are probably at least one more year away from contending.

At this point, I would guess he goes to the Mets, but Bauer could easily pivot and do something unpredictable.  We'll see.  

1 hour ago, wopphil said:

The Padres paid through the nose on this. Glad the Angels didn’t acquire him for this price (easily the equivalent of Adell, Detmers and Rodriguez). 

The Padres sorta have this unusual "problem" in that they are so loaded with prospects that they will actually be facing a significant "prospect crunch" in that they can't really fit all the talented players on their 40-man roster.

So SD, right now, is in more of a "prospect consolidation" phase, where they have to utilize several prospects in a trade to acquire fewer players in return.  Thus, they just traded 4 guys for 1 guy.  I expect them to do multiple deals like this in the next year or two.

A very nice problem to have, and likely why they can probably afford to overpay a bit in trades, because the alternative would be to have to figure out how to eventually stash all that talent on their 40-man roster.

23 minutes ago, floplag said:

Nice to see SD making this move to step up and possibly challenge the Dogs. 
Im glad they made this one, likely take them out of Darvish, which might open up a deal with Contreras for us.... wishful thinking im sure.

Edit:
Or not i guess...
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/12/padres-trade-rumors-yu-darvish-cubs.html

12 hours ago, Sully151 said:

Man, the Padres have a great stadium, In a cool city with loads of bars and places to go before and after games, a team that is fun to watch and should be a contender. Sometimes, I think I may have followed the wrong team. Oh well.

as a san diegan, don't be fooled. this is the highest of times for the padres. hopefully, they continue to operate in this manner, but their entire history has sucked old man balls. although the angels have uncomfortable similarities.