• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

9 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

And I would argue the opposite.  Pitchers uniquely had a break from fatiguing their arms over the last year.

If they are training and really getting ready as professional athletes, they should be able to be more fresh for 2021 than ever.

You go ahead and think that, but virtually everyone I have listened to on MLB says it is the opposite.  The Angels aren’t the only team going with a 6 man rotation, I have heard it will be commonplace this year.  That wouldn’t be the case if the belief was pitchers will be healthier and more ready to go.  

Just now, Stradling said:

You go ahead and think that, but virtually everyone I have listened to on MLB says it is the opposite.  The Angels aren’t the only team going with a 6 man rotation, I have heard it will be commonplace this year.  That wouldn’t be the case if the belief was pitchers will be healthier and more ready to go.  

Wait, you heard during spring training that maybe teams will go with 6 man rotations?

Its called “we need content.”  Same thing every year.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

No.  

Look if an actual 6 man rotation does become real in 2021, I will have zero problem saying I was wrong.

But I personally think most of this talk is just talk.  It’s something to talk about.  Every team is more than happy to have a conversation about how they might consider a 6man rotation.  It safe and easy, especially if it produces a fair read that keep fans interested.  . . And every team prefers this kind of coverage and conversation over something more controversial.

I bet there is a guy in n Seattle that wishes he spent 45 minutes at the rotary club talking about 6 man rotations.

6 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Wait, you heard during spring training that maybe teams will go with 6 man rotations?

Its called “we need content.”  Same thing every year.

Did anyone tell the teams or are they conspiring to give the media content for laughs?

https://www.mlb.com/news/mariners-to-use-six-man-rotation-in-2021

C05D5E23-7706-46E6-A4D2-A231424D03C2.thumb.jpeg.4ac74a0fe2e16f4c61f4c890dd9ce286.jpeg
Here's Fangraphs discussing it also: 

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-costs-and-benefits-of-six-man-rotations/

58D9AE71-E974-4567-AAD5-D9D14DFD45BE.thumb.jpeg.1ab1c770623767494ebb3f422982603e.jpeg
So far, we know for sure at least three teams are actively planning on it. More are possibilities.

Maybe if you write an article and let them know how dumb it is, all these organizations will realize they didn't know as much as you about what's best for their rotation. 

Just now, Pancake Bear said:

Did anyone tell the teams or are they conspiring to give the media content for laughs?

https://www.mlb.com/news/mariners-to-use-six-man-rotation-in-2021

C05D5E23-7706-46E6-A4D2-A231424D03C2.thumb.jpeg.4ac74a0fe2e16f4c61f4c890dd9ce286.jpeg
Here's Fangraphs discussing it also: 

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-costs-and-benefits-of-six-man-rotations/

58D9AE71-E974-4567-AAD5-D9D14DFD45BE.thumb.jpeg.1ab1c770623767494ebb3f422982603e.jpeg
So far, we know for sure at least three teams are actively planning on it. More are possibilities.

Maybe if you write an article and let them know how dumb it is, all these organizations will realize they didn't know as much as you about what's best for their rotation. 

Did you even read the fan graphs article?  It concludes team will give up more runs with a 6 man because your sixth pitcher is worse than the other pitchers.

7 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Did you even read the fan graphs article?  It concludes team will give up more runs with a 6 man because your sixth pitcher is worse than the other pitchers.

That's relevant how? The question is whether or not it is happening (it is). Either way, you're wrong.

"Do you want a solid takeaway from this article? Tough luck. Some of these teams could easily shift to using a sixth starter. Some would need to give up a little more. In no case is it a massive effect, depending on how you define the word “massive” — even the top-heavy Padres would only cost themselves 15 runs (roughly 1.5 wins) by adding a sixth starter, and that’s if there’s no benefit from an extra day of rest.

Will more teams shift to six-man rotations? I think so. It’s prudent — pitcher health is tenuous in the best of times, and while I’m certainly no biomechanical expert, extra rest meaning extra health hardly seems farfetched. It might help, performance-wise — teams probably have better data on this than I do. It’s cheap, runs-wise — thinning out the rotation is a matter of single-digit runs over an entire season for most teams. Weigh those three factors, and I don’t think Seattle will be the only team using this plan."

So which of us didn't read it?

Back to the main point which you ignored in your attempt to remain right.

The Mariners are doing a six man rotation. So are the Angels and Tigers. Other teams are weighing it seriously (google it). Red Sox, Orioles, and Padres have all admitted to considering it. I doubt they're alone.

Just now, Pancake Bear said:

That's relevant how? The question is whether or not it is happening (it is). Either way, you're wrong.

"Do you want a solid takeaway from this article? Tough luck. Some of these teams could easily shift to using a sixth starter. Some would need to give up a little more. In no case is it a massive effect, depending on how you define the word “massive” — even the top-heavy Padres would only cost themselves 15 runs (roughly 1.5 wins) by adding a sixth starter, and that’s if there’s no benefit from an extra day of rest.

Will more teams shift to six-man rotations? I think so. It’s prudent — pitcher health is tenuous in the best of times, and while I’m certainly no biomechanical expert, extra rest meaning extra health hardly seems farfetched. It might help, performance-wise — teams probably have better data on this than I do. It’s cheap, runs-wise — thinning out the rotation is a matter of single-digit runs over an entire season for most teams. Weigh those three factors, and I don’t think Seattle will be the only team using this plan."

So which of us didn't read it?

Back to the main point which you ignored in your attempt to remain right.

The Mariners are doing a six man rotation. So are the Angels and Tigers. Other teams are weighing it seriously (google it). Red Sox, Orioles, and Padres have all admitted to considering it. I doubt they're alone.

Bro.  I said really clearly my opinion is this isn’t going to happen and if I am wrong I have zero problem saying I was 100% wrong.

I believe moat teams are prepared to have more than 5 pitchers make starts, for a variety of reasons.

That is very different than rotating 6 starters instead of 5.

I believe teams will default to a fairly normal 5 man rotation but will use a spot starter here and there where needed.  And my point is if I am right, that’s not really very different than what teams have done for decades.

I think I am right, and I am plenty grown up to accept if I am wrong.

On 2/24/2021 at 3:22 PM, Dtwncbad said:

And I would argue the opposite.  Pitchers uniquely had a break from fatiguing their arms over the last year.

If they are training and really getting ready as professional athletes, they should be able to be more fresh for 2021 than ever.

I didn't know we had a sports medicine expert at AW.