• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

15 hours ago, stormngt said:

How long does it take fir the typical HS player to develop into a major league?  Doesnt it take 4-5 years?  So you are suggesting the Club has one or two years with a player before they hit FA?

Yes. They could also do what football and basketball do and make college the minor leagues. Mlb has way to many minor league teams and way to may draft rounds.

I gotta say it
3:24
Adell for Marquez or Castillo. Which teams say no at the mid way point ?

Steve Adams
3:25
Corner outfielders (Adell) are generally valued at a far lesser rate than controllable No. 2 starters (Marquez, Castillo)

3:26
I still like Adell and think Angels fans have soured on him to bizarre levels, but if they could've traded him straight up for Luis Castillo that'd have been done awhile ago.

1 hour ago, beatlesrule said:
I gotta say it

Steve Adams
Corner outfielders (Adell) are generally valued at a far lesser rate than controllable No. 2 starters (Marquez, Castillo)

I still like Adell and think Angels fans have soured on him to bizarre levels, but if they could've traded him straight up for Luis Castillo that'd have been done awhile ago.

Adell is a CF.  He projects to be a corner outfielder for the Angel's because of some guy named Trout.

18 hours ago, stormngt said:

How long does it take fir the typical HS player to develop into a major league?  Doesnt it take 4-5 years?  So you are suggesting the Club has one or two years with a player before they hit FA?

I think it has many factors and not just for us, including individual maturity level of the player. We've seen with other kids through the years if they aren't mature enough and they are more about the party instead of crafting their individual games. That their success and ours is lower. A high schooler is immature and can be groomed similar to the military the beat them down and build them back up. Same thought process (how to throw the slider the Dodger way).. Each team has their M.O. of how they do things. Remember we drafted and scouted a ton of Rondon's back in the day slappy middle infielders (that were like Alfredo Griffin). Our catchers were cerebral and more defensive forward (like SVEN - Mathis, Bengie, Jose). There is some differences between our Outfielders and that side (with Roenicke) as they mostly had more power and hit tools. Our pitching staff even mirrored the past pitching coaches(Butcher who was a battler and didn't have great tools but gutted out innings). I truly believe the Draft often resembles the characteristics of the abilities of the Coaching staffs overall.

20 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Adell is a CF.  He projects to be a corner outfielder for the Angel's because of some guy named Trout.

Yep. Most would argue that Adell is a much better CF defensively than a corner outfielder. He's seen more time there in the minors and in HS. 

2 hours ago, beatlesrule said:
I gotta say it

Steve Adams

This is why no one should use MLBTR as anything other than a rumor compilation site. The insight there is very low. 

He is correct that Adell by himself is not worth as much as Marquez or Castillo. His reasoning about Adell's position is really ignorant. I wouldn't expect him to have an encyclopedic knowledge of every team's prospects, but with a guy as touted as Adell it's a pretty inexcusable error.

5 hours ago, happybat4 said:

Yes. They could also do what football and basketball do and make college the minor leagues. Mlb has way to many minor league teams and way to may draft rounds.

Except college sports is not a minor league.  And it shouldnt be a minor league.  I never liked how NBA and NFL exploited college athletics.

In addition college limits your time on how much instruction you are allowed per week and does not pay their athletes (at least not in baseball). And unlike football and basketball the one and done concept doesn't work.

1 hour ago, EdmontonAngelsFan said:

Despite the quality of arms the Angels currently have, I would say they are deep with rotation options currently. Bundy, Heaney, Canning, Quintana, Cobb, Ohtani, Barria, Sandoval. That's 8 arms without mentioning Suarez, Rodriguez and Detmers. 

If the Angels do push for someone like Odorizzi then I wonder if it's a Dodgers-type strategy with keeping as much depth as you come. It plays well for the playoff. 

But I also wonder if there would be a corresponding trade that would follow if we got Odorizzi. 

1 hour ago, GoodTimesGoneBad said:

Yes please. 6 man rotation with Canning riding the shuttle to and from Salt Lake for when someone inevitably gets hurt. Just think, we would actually have good minor league SP depth for the first time in ages. 

Anyone think we maybe replacing solid pitching with crappy pitching?

Barria (one of our best starters in two of the last three years) already has been moved to the bullpen.  Now Canning who was our third best pitcher last year maybe moved to Salt Lake.

2 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Anyone think we maybe replacing solid pitching with crappy pitching?

Barria (one of our best starters in two of the last three years) already has been moved to the bullpen.  Now Canning who was our third best pitcher last year maybe moved to Salt Lake.

I think there’s a better chance they will pitch the pitchers that give them the best chance to win based not just on what has happened but on what they believe will happen.  So if they acquired Odorizzi, I highly doubt they would put Canning in AAA.  I think you’d see a pitcher traded, maybe it is Heaney, maybe it is Barria.  Regardless I don’t think its a good idea for Barria to pitch out of the pen.  Cobb could start the season in the pen.  

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I think there’s a better chance they will pitch the pitchers that give them the best chance to win based not just on what has happened but on what they believe will happen.  So if they acquired Odorizzi, I highly doubt they would put Canning in AAA.  I think you’d see a pitcher traded, maybe it is Heaney, maybe it is Barria.  Regardless I don’t think its a good idea for Barria to pitch out of the pen.  Cobb could start the season in the pen.  

I have my doubts with Barria in the pen as well.  I would think he would be the one traded since he has is under control for four or is it five years.

2 hours ago, rafibomb said:

Obviously taken with a grain of salt but according to Jomboy the Angels have been the top bidder for Odorizzi but he is waiting as long as he can to see if any other teams meet his asking price.

Solid strategy.  I respect the Cousin Eddie approach to negotiations.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Didn’t Cobb improve his splitter significantly?   Could be the other late innings option they have been needing?