• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

13 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

Best thing that could happen for the Angels is the Reds to really suck. They have two pitchers that could really help us. I think they might, too. Cardinals and Brewers improved and the Cubs still have pieces. 

Scherzer being a FA next year could be an interesting target as well. I'd prefer dumping the farm for Castillo or Gallen. 

7 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Scherzer being a FA next year could be an interesting target as well. I'd prefer dumping the farm for Castillo or Gallen. 

I think we see how the first half of the season goes. If Detmers and Rodriguez pitch well in the minors where them being in the rotation at some point in 2022 is a foregone conclusion then I’d rather make the move for a Sonny Gray.  Prospect cost is much less and he could be the veteran anchor of the staff 

7 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Personally, I don't think we will see Minasian pursue a very expensive free agent or empty the farm for a top-of-the-rotation SP until we show we are right on the verge of a WS title team, at least not until the farm grows enough and both Pujols and Upton are off the books.

If Ohtani actually does pan out or gets close to it, he will soon cost a significant amount to re-sign.  Fletcher will soon cost quite a bit of money.  If we do re-sign one of Heaney/Bundy, they won't be exorbitant, but will likely command 3+ years at the minimum at 15mil/yr AAV+, depending on how this year goes.

Likely I think we are inclined to see Minasian take one year gambles while he lets the farm develop.  This is the same approach Eppler used, but the talent evaluation is mainly what matters.  If Minasian can be considerably more successful than Eppler at it, or well, just not downright awful at it like Eppler was, this team can be quite a bit better than we were under the Eppler years.

3 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Personally, I don't think we will see Minasian pursue a very expensive free agent or empty the farm for a top-of-the-rotation SP until we show we are right on the verge of a WS title team, at least not until the farm grows enough and both Pujols and Upton are off the books.

If Ohtani actually does pan out or gets close to it, he will soon cost a significant amount to re-sign.  Fletcher will soon cost quite a bit of money.  If we do re-sign one of Heaney/Bundy, they won't be exorbitant, but will likely command 3+ years at the minimum at 15mil/yr AAV+, depending on how this year goes.

Likely I think we are inclined to see Minasian take one year gambles while he lets the farm develop.  This is the same approach Eppler used, but the talent evaluation is mainly what matters.  If Minasian can be considerably more successful than Eppler at it, or well, just not downright awful at it like Eppler was, this team can be quite a bit better than we were under the Eppler years.

Ohtani is under contract for 2022 and under arbitration for 2023. In 2024 he will be expensive but Upton will be off books as well as Pujols. I could actually see them bringing Heaney and Bundy back to go along with Canning, Ohtani, Detmers and maybe Barria or Rodriguez. For 2022. Or they could bring in a guy.

and Fletcher won’t be that expensive not for a while. He’s would be due something like 30M over the next four seasons, total according to that recent extension article.

They have to get a SS long term, so may I suggest Story? I don’t think any of their minf prospects are close to the majors for 2022 but maybe 2023?

11 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Ohtani is under contract for 2022 and under arbitration for 2023. In 2024 he will be expensive but Upton will be off books as well as Pujols. I could actually see them bringing Heaney and Bundy back to go along with Canning, Ohtani, Detmers and maybe Barria or Rodriguez. For 2022. Or they could bring in a guy.

and Fletcher won’t be that expensive not for a while. He’s would be due something like 30M over the next four seasons, total according to that recent extension article.

They have to get a SS long term, so may I suggest Story? I don’t think any of their minf prospects are close to the majors for 2022 but maybe 2023?

We drafted a number of middle infield prospects.  With Trout and Rendon due to earn a lot for many years, I can't see us pursuing another 30+ mil per year player like Story, Seager, Lindor, etc.

As fans, it is easy to point to big names and want to add them, but Minasian and the FO will earn their money by finding under-the-radar players and help them become successful, and/or by drafting good prospects and helping them reach their potential.

We could add players with a significant cost, but before we go out doling more long-term deals, I imagine Minasian will want to see the farm grow and be on the verge of pumping out lots of good, young talent.

We have a lot of money coming off the books this upcoming offseason, but we will likewise have to find players to fill a lot of those holes.  We will need 1 SP at the minimum, and more likely two.  We will need a SS to fill the gap - maybe we will re-sign Iglesias, or maybe we'll sign someone like Semien - a guy who can serve as a stopgap for 2 years or so until we develop internal options.  We will need to find a closer, or at least a high-leverage relief option that can take Iglesias' place.  

At least, moving forward, our OF should be taken care of internally, as between Marsh, Adell, and Adams, we should hopefully get at least two very solid MLB players, if not all three.

Just now, Warfarin said:

We drafted a number of middle infield prospects.  With Trout and Rendon due to earn a lot for many years, I can't see us pursuing another 30+ mil per year player like Story, Seager, Lindor, etc.

As fans, it is easy to point to big names and want to add them, but Minasian and the FO will earn their money by finding under-the-radar players and help them become successful, and/or by drafting good prospects and helping them reach their potential.

We could add players with a significant cost, but before we go out doling more long-term deals, I imagine Minasian will want to see the farm grow and be on the verge of pumping out lots of good, young talent.

It’s more likely they resign Iglesias as a bridge unless Rengifo or someone else breaks out. But I’m sure that Trevor Story fits nicely in our lineup. Or Javier Baez. And Of our guys Jackson and Soto are the closest to the majors and highest ranked and neither seem to be that close. But you never know. Jackson has been getting some AB’s in camp so maybe he’s closer than I think. I also think we could see Fletcher slide over if someone takes the 2B job which would be someone like Rojas? He certainly can hit in ST.

1 minute ago, Hubs said:

It’s more likely they resign Iglesias as a bridge unless Rengifo or someone else breaks out. But I’m sure that Trevor Story fits nicely in our lineup. Or Javier Baez. And Of our guys Jackson and Soto are the closest to the majors and highest ranked and neither seem to be that close. But you never know. Jackson has been getting some AB’s in camp so maybe he’s closer than I think. I also think we could see Fletcher slide over if someone takes the 2B job which would be someone like Rojas? He certainly can hit in ST.

I agree on a bridge - I edited my original comment to add that.  I think Iglesias, Semien, etc probably fit our budget and timeline better than a Story, Seager, Lindor, etc.  I agree that obviously any of those guys would be fantastic adds, but I think we will need to utilize our budget to help fill gaps for a year or two as Minasian builds up the farm.

Perhaps after the 2022 season, when Upton is also off the books, we'll see Minasian take a swing at some star player to go along with Trout and Rendon.  I do think it is far more likely we see him do that, as opposed to trading a number of prospects for someone like Castillo.

4 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

Sonny Gray makes too much money.  I think Jon Gray would be much more successful not pitching in Colorado.  

Also, the return going to Colorado may not be as high, prospect wise.  

Sonny Gray makes like $13 million and he’s a solid #2.  If that’s too much money then we should never try to compete for pitching ever again.  

2 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

Strad, my opinion is this, Is Gray any better than what we have?

Other than Ohtani, quite significantly.

Also, I don't know where the $13 million figure came from. He's under contract the next 2 years at $10.2 million, and has an incredibly friendly team option of $12 million.

3 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Other than Ohtani, quite significantly.

Also, I don't know where the $13 million figure came from. He's under contract the next 2 years at $10.2 million, and has an incredibly friendly team option of $12 million.

Oh man even better.  I thought he was at $13 million. Maybe I had him mixed up with Snell or something. But yea Gray would be our best starter by quite a bit unless we get 2018 Ohtani. 

1 hour ago, AngelStew43 said:

Sonny Gray makes too much money.  I think Jon Gray would be much more successful not pitching in Colorado.  

Also, the return going to Colorado may not be as high, prospect wise.  

Sonny Gray is due 10 M in each of the next two Seasons with a 12M Option in 2023.

That’s cheap. Jon Gray is an Free agent next winter. He makes 6M In Colorado This season. He most certainly will be available if he has a good year with the Rockies not expected to contend. He also had a 6.69 ERA last year. 

Sonny will definitely cost more but it won’t be as much as you think. Jon’s prospect cost will Be negligible.

2 hours ago, Hubs said:

Walsh is cheap plus Marsh and Adell in 22 will be cheap.

Sonny Gray would cost less than Brandon Marsh straight up, somewhere in the range of Jackson, Sandoval, and Adams? But I bet it’s less than that at the deadline as Adams develops this season.

And Jon Gray would cost like Kochanawicz and say Yan. And even less than that at the deadline.

4 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Walsh is cheap plus Marsh and Adell in 22 will be cheap.

They are and will be through 2024, so I could see the Angels adding a bat in free agency next winter. Probably at SS. 

They will certainly be in the market for pitching again.

14 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Sonny Gray would cost less than Brandon Marsh straight up, somewhere in the range of Jackson, Sandoval, and Adams? But I bet it’s less than that at the deadline as Adams develops this season.

Possibly. But Cincy may still want to keep him and they may ask for more, if we're a match.

I can guarantee one of Adams, Adell, or Marsh would be included in a deal for him. No way do they let go of Gray without getting one of those guys in return. 

I actually think a player's value goes up during the deadline when they have control left beyond that season. A desperate team needs a starter for the playoff push? Sure, we'll consider giving you Gray, but we want *ridiculous package of players*.

3 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Possibly. But Cincy may still want to keep him and they may ask for more, if we're a match.

I can guarantee one of Adams, Adell, or Marsh would be included in a deal for him. No way do they let go of Gray without getting one of those guys in return. 

I actually think a player's value goes up during the deadline when they have control left beyond that season. A desperate team needs a starter for the playoff push? Sure, we'll consider giving you Gray, but we want *ridiculous package of players*.

To be clear I’m not saying grays value will go down, I’m saying Adams’s will go up, probably a little closer to where Marsh was this off-season (BTV had Marsh at 35, now he’s at 45, Adams stayed at 16, Adell dropped to 48 From 54)

On 3/7/2021 at 8:01 AM, Hubs said:

Iglesias is still only 31.  Could sign him to a 2-3 year deal.

Edited by Angel Oracle