• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

With Odorizzi, I’d like to see a Heaney trade for a Steven Matz like package. 

^^^^ Makes sense....Heaney has some value, though the timing for a trade might not be great....if you have a prospect or prospects to trade, he would be cheaper than a lot of the FA starters have been.....

8 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Canning will not be moved to Salt Lake. Most likely Someone else moves to the pen. 

Canning is a lock for the rotation, along with the other five starters. If they did sign Odorizzi, I think it's would results in Maddon getting creative. They'd roll with a 6 man rotation, and then every six weeks or so, they'd have rotating time off. Basically phantom DL stints that go for two weeks at a time to manage innings and mitigate any injuries, and allow pitchers to rebuild stamina. 

But JB is right, if Odorizzi wanted to be an Angel, he'd have signed already. But the fact that they haven't won in a long time, have a new GM and basically no pitching coach has to give any player pause before signing with the Angels. 

Again, my guess is the Angels were in on him, were probably offering something in the vicinity of 2/20, while Odorizzi has been seeking 3/45. He thought he could wait out the market and get more. The Angela's pivoted and go Jose Quintana. They may checked back around to Odorizzi one more time, didn't like the numbers being exchanged or any of the other FA options so they brought in Cobb as an alternative. Since then, I'm guessing the Angels no longer have interest in Odorizzi. 

If they are still in on Odorizzi, only a couple of scenarios that work. Someone goes to the pen and/or someone gets traded. 

I'd be shocked if Canning got sent down or put in the pen. I'd also be shocked if they traded Heaney. Cobb maybe could go to the pen, but it seems doubtful.

It's very possible, like Scotty said, that this is just old news. But if it isn't, I don't know how they'd make things fit. 

2 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Good God, you guys obsession with Odorizzi is like a group of horny guys at closing trying to get the last ugly girl at the bar to go home with them. 

Good ‘ol Blarg reminding us that you can be a grump at any given time.  Jay and FS would be proud of you.  

It’s not really an obsession, it’s more like we’ve been down reclamation project road before (Teheran, Harvey, Cahill) and the only one who sorta worked out was Bundy and that was a short season playing against only west coast teams. To expect Cobb, Ohtani, and Quintana to be healthy all year and perform well is extremely optimistic. What’s wrong with having Canning in Salt Lake trying to improve on his game? I think he really only spent 1 full season in the minors. 

6 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Good God, you guys obsession with Odorizzi is like a group of horny guys at closing trying to get the last ugly girl at the bar to go home with them. 

To be fair, I wanted Odorizzi at the start. Now that the off-season is over, I don't, simply because of who he would displace. 

I won't pretend Barria's rookie campaign wasn't impressive, it definitely was, regardless of underlying numbers. He lost a year of development when the Angels decided he wasn't in their rotation for 2019 and hired Doug White to be a pitching coach, which had disastrous results. Barria came back and was solid in limited quantity last year and was one of the best pitchers in winter ball. 

The Angela's need to stop jerking that kid around and put him in the rotation and let him pitch. This up and down, back and forth between AAA and Anaheim, starting our relieving hasn't helped him. I'm not a huge fan of him being slotted for relief but let's be honest, this is the Angels we are talking about. Of course there will be injuries, so he'll get plenty of opportunity. 

But the last thing I want is for the Angels to spend 10 million in Odorizzi PLUS lose Barria to another team when there's no room in the active roster. 

28 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Well Im tired of seeing the rotation so weak we need to start guys like Chris Stratton Dillion Peters, etc

1 hour ago, Erstad Grit said:

Well Im tired of seeing the rotation so weak we need to start guys like Chris Stratton

Small sample size, but Stratton actually pitched really well in 2020. If we got his level of production instead of that we got from Tehran, the team would have likely made the postseason.

. . . “they will go with a 6 man rotation.”

I am still amazed that fans think starting pitchers capable of pitching every 5th day are going to just be cool pitching every 6th day.

I love how the narrative regarding Bauer was he wanted to go somewhere that would let him pitch every 4th day (instead of five) because he is such a competitor, but nobody can acknowledge that other pitchers probably don’t want to pitch every 6th day rather than every 5th day.

So you have a potential problem forcing a normal competitor to take the ball fewer times, and you have the issue of how stupid it is (in wins and losses) to regularly have that 6th best starter take starts away from a better pitcher.

Yes, with Ohtani and some possible fragility, the Angels will have more than 5 guys making starts in 2021.

But they are not going to have a 6 man rotation.

Now go ahead and cut and paste a dozen articles or quotes about a six man rotation for the Angels in 2021.  Awesome.  Great reads.

It’s still not happening.

5 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

. . . “they will go with a 6 man rotation.”

I am still amazed that fans think starting pitchers capable of pitching every 5th day are going to just be cool pitching every 6th day.

I love how the narrative regarding Bauer was he wanted to go somewhere that would let him pitch every 4th day (instead of five) because he is such a competitor, but nobody can acknowledge that other pitchers probably don’t want to pitch every 6th day rather than every 5th day.

So you have a potential problem forcing a normal competitor to take the ball fewer times, and you have the issue of how stupid it is (in wins and losses) to regularly have that 6th best starter take starts away from a better pitcher.

Yes, with Ohtani and some possible fragility, the Angels will have more than 5 guys making starts in 2021.

But they are not going to have a 6 man rotation.

Now go ahead and cut and paste a dozen articles or quotes about a six man rotation for the Angels in 2021.  Awesome.  Great reads.

It might happen this year.  The leader in innings pitched last year was Heaney (which surprised me) with 66 innings.  I am not thinking they will go with a straight 6 man rotation, but I think there will be more weeks of 6 different starters especially the first half of the season than with a starter making 2 starts in a week.  They aren’t going to ramp up guys that were throwing 65 or so innings and ask them to go 160-180 innings.  Maybe Bundy, or Heaney, but certainly not Canning, Barria, Ohtani and probably not Quintana who only threw 10 innings last year.  

10 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

and I thought I was cranky.

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Can’t listen right now, what is the rumor he is working on? 

He was asked if Preller has any big moves planned like maybe a Josh Hader and he answered laughing and saying he will be shocked if he pulls this off (did not state who).

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It might happen this year.  The leader in innings pitched last year was Heaney (which surprised me) with 66 innings.  I am not thinking they will go with a straight 6 man rotation, but I think there will be more weeks of 6 different starters especially the first half of the season than with a starter making 2 starts in a week.  They aren’t going to ramp up guys that were throwing 65 or so innings and ask them to go 160-180 innings.  Maybe Bundy, or Heaney, but certainly not Canning, Barria, Ohtani and probably not Quintana who only threw 10 innings last year.  

And I would argue the opposite.  Pitchers uniquely had a break from fatiguing their arms over the last year.

If they are training and really getting ready as professional athletes, they should be able to be more fresh for 2021 than ever.

Edited by Dtwncbad