• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

44 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Don't have sub any more. I assume the article might mention Odorizzi rumors? or just "what-ifs" ???

Talks about the lack of depth in recent years being the problem. Notes that the biggest change under Minasian is more mid-level guys like Quintana and Cobb, and more depth in the system. That creates a higher floor since our biggest problem was giving innings to guys who had no business pitching in the majors.

He talks a little about Odorizzi and says they've remained in the mix, but he doesn't know if they'll actually go all in on him. He said they never seriously pursued Bauer at any point this offseason.

See depth chart he listed below: (Column 1: Rotation; 2: Spot starters; 3: Emergency SP; 4: Upper Level Depth)

Angels pitching depth
Dylan Bundy
 Jaime Barria
 Dillon Peters
 Packy Naughton
Andrew Heaney
 Patrick Sandoval
 Jake Faria
 Oliver Ortega
Griffin Canning
 Jose Suarez
 Thomas Pannone
 Jose Alberto Rivera
José Quintana

Reid Detmers
Alex Cobb

Chris Rodriguez
Shohei Ohtani

13 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Talks about the lack of depth in recent years being the problem. Notes that the biggest change under Minasian is more mid-level guys like Quintana and Cobb, and more depth in the system. That creates a higher floor since our biggest problem was giving innings to guys who had no business pitching in the majors.

He talks a little about Odorizzi and says they've remained in the mix, but he doesn't know if they'll actually go all in on him. He said they never seriously pursued Bauer at any point this offseason.

See depth chart he listed below: (Column 1: Rotation; 2: Spot starters; 3: Emergency SP; 4: Upper Level Depth)

Angels pitching depth

Dylan Bundy
 Jaime Barria
 Dillon Peters
 Packy Naughton
Andrew Heaney
 Patrick Sandoval
 Jake Faria
 Oliver Ortega
Griffin Canning
 Jose Suarez
 Thomas Pannone
 Jose Alberto Rivera
José Quintana

Reid Detmers
Alex Cobb

Chris Rodriguez
Shohei Ohtani

Thanks for the recap!  Odd that he lists Jose Alberto Rivera under "Upper Level Depth."  He'll either be in the majors or he'll be returned to Houston, unless I'm missing something?

On 2/24/2021 at 3:06 PM, Dtwncbad said:

I love how the narrative regarding Bauer was he wanted to go somewhere that would let him pitch every 4th day

He said a lot of things. Most of which was bullshit. In the end he took the most money on the table with all opt outs so he can play this horsecrap all over again next year. He doesn't care how many days between starts whether it's a five or six man rotation. he just wanted the twitter responses.

5 minutes ago, Blarg said:

He said a lot of things. Most of which was bullshit. In the end he took the most money on the table with all opt outs so he can play this horsecrap all over again next year. He doesn't care how many days between starts whether it's a five or six man rotation. he just wanted the twitter responses.

I can hardly wait for Bauer to tweet while pitching in between innings.

4 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

Angels pitching depth

Dylan Bundy
 Jaime Barria
 Dillon Peters
 Packy Naughton
Andrew Heaney
 Patrick Sandoval
 Jake Faria
 Oliver Ortega
Griffin Canning
 Jose Suarez
 Thomas Pannone
 Jose Alberto Rivera
José Quintana

Reid Detmers
Alex Cobb

Chris Rodriguez
Shohei Ohtani

Appreciate it.

Please tell me he didn't say "go all in" for Odorizzi..... That's comical if he did.

4 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Thanks for the recap!  Odd that he lists Jose Alberto Rivera under "Upper Level Depth."  He'll either be in the majors or he'll be returned to Houston, unless I'm missing something?

So I didn't realize this but Rivera has been a starter in the minors. He keeps getting mentioned as a reliever, but he has been starting. He walks a lot and threw kind of a crazy amount of wild pitches, but 102 is nothing to turn your nose up to. I think he's best served focusing on relieving and trying to gain a little bit more control in 1-2 inning bursts. 

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

I think he'll stick around with the Dodgers until after the 2022 season. He'll be making 45 million that year. 

49 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Appreciate it.

Please tell me he didn't say "go all in" for Odorizzi..... That's comical if he did.

"They have continued to stay in touch with Jake Odorizzi, sources told The Athletic, though the Angels are among several clubs still interested in the former All-Star’s services. 

Earlier this month, Minasian said “never say never” to the possibility of adding to the roster during spring training, particularly to the pitching staff even while stating his confidence in this current group. The Angels have remained engaged on both the starter and relief markets.

“There’s a possibility that we could add to the current group we have,” Minasian said before camp. “We feel like we’ve upgraded the roster in a lot of different areas over the course of the offseason. So is it a possibility? Yes. Will it actually end up happening? We’ll see.”

Theres a bit more on Odorizzi, but it doesn't really go any further into whether a deal is likely. There's also more on their depth and whether it's enough. Really nothing there you wouldn't read in the Register. 

16 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

"They have continued to stay in touch with Jake Odorizzi, sources told The Athletic, though the Angels are among several clubs still interested in the former All-Star’s services. 

Earlier this month, Minasian said “never say never” to the possibility of adding to the roster during spring training, particularly to the pitching staff even while stating his confidence in this current group. The Angels have remained engaged on both the starter and relief markets.

“There’s a possibility that we could add to the current group we have,” Minasian said before camp. “We feel like we’ve upgraded the roster in a lot of different areas over the course of the offseason. So is it a possibility? Yes. Will it actually end up happening? We’ll see.”

Theres a bit more on Odorizzi, but it doesn't really go any further into whether a deal is likely. There's also more on their depth and whether it's enough. Really nothing there you wouldn't read in the Register. 

Very cool.
Yeah, Odorizzi definitely isn't the hottest option but I could never say no to more solid depth. He's not an ace, but with the Angels' rotation he'd fit nicely in a 2-3 spot IMO. 

In Minasian's mind it raises our floor even more. Plus with pitchers suddenly having to go a full 162 game season, having depth up the ying-yang might pay off really well. 

That could be the difference maker when going against the Astros and Athletics. Also really helps if the Angels need to make some trades. 

51 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Very cool.
Yeah, Odorizzi definitely isn't the hottest option but I could never say no to more solid depth. He's not an ace, but with the Angels' rotation he'd fit nicely in a 2-3 spot IMO. 

In Minasian's mind it raises our floor even more. Plus with pitchers suddenly having to go a full 162 game season, having depth up the ying-yang might pay off really well. 

That could be the difference maker when going against the Astros and Athletics. Also really helps if the Angels need to make some trades. 

1DB1B80C-4C3F-4BBA-87AB-F3888B8A98CA.thumb.jpeg.940e36fac065e948bce54a03428e2f12.jpeg

I think he overrates Odorizzi a bit. IMO, Bundy is comparable at worst. On upside, Ohtani is unquestionably better. I'd probably put him comparable to Quintana. 

4 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

1DB1B80C-4C3F-4BBA-87AB-F3888B8A98CA.thumb.jpeg.940e36fac065e948bce54a03428e2f12.jpeg

I think he overrates Odorizzi a bit. IMO, Bundy is comparable at worst. On upside, Ohtani is unquestionably better. I'd probably put him comparable to Quintana. 

Fob is what, like 24 years old just fresh out of college? I'll let the Angels coaches decide who's the #1 guy in the rotation if we sign Odorizzi. If we do, which I don't think we will, I think he slots in #3 at best. 

Thing is would any of us be completely shocked if one or both of Ohtani and Canning went down for the year? 

Odorizzi makes so much sense, even more with his price going down.

An off-season ago he was expected to get near similar of Madbum and Wheeler before he accepted a QO.