• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

3 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I think that the result of Springer impacts Bauer.

If the Jays miss out on Springer, they likely make Bauer their #1 priority and they have the money to make it happen. If the Jays get Springer, I think they're out on Bauer. If the Jays are out on Bauer, that significantly hurts Bauer's market, which will likely prompt other teams to jump in and see if they can get Bauer at a lower cost. I'd imagine it would be teams like the Angels, Dodgers, Giants, and White Sox and whoever decides to meet Bauer's asking price gets him.

Yeah agree to an extent. 
I think Blue Jays will officially land Springer amidst this Mets news. 
With Bauer having a girl agent I get the feeling that negotiations between Porter and Luba/Bauer have died down a bit. 

It's between White Sox and Angels for Bauer. White Sox would have their highest payroll in history in they get Bauer, which after COVID-19, who knows how much they can financially handle They've got a pretty solid 3 in the rotation and they might be content. 

This is a rare opportunity where I think the Angels have a chance for singing Bauer to literally fall in their laps. 

2 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

It's between White Sox and Angels for Bauer. White Sox would have their highest payroll in history in they get Bauer, which after COVID-19, who knows how much they can financially handle They've got a pretty solid 3 in the rotation and they might be content. 

This is a rare opportunity where I think the Angels have a chance for singing Bauer to literally fall in their laps. 

I'm very skeptical that the Angels will actually be in on Bauer. It just seems like he's out of their price range. I'd be happy to be wrong though.

Just now, Trendon said:

I'm very skeptical that the Angels will actually be in on Bauer. It just seems like it's out of their price range. I'd be happy to be wrong though.

I think we can guarantee they are in on Bauer as they've likely been in on every free agent pitcher and ones on the trading block.
I also wouldn't be surprised if they've given him an offer. Is it the most money? Probably not. But I don't think Arte would afraid to finally get a pitcher that we need.

Arte knows the Angels haven't had had premium tradable assets in years which is why he's never looked away from spending on free agents. 

30 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I'm very skeptical that the Angels will actually be in on Bauer. It just seems like he's out of their price range. I'd be happy to be wrong though.

You are basing this on a pretty good assumption: that Arte isn't willing to raise payroll. And you're probably correct. 

That said, I cannot truly believe that a team that is so desperate for starting pitching would be completely out on the best FA starting pitcher available. 

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

You are basing this on a pretty good assumption: that Arte isn't willing to raise payroll. And you're probably correct. 

That said, I cannot truly believe that a team that is so desperate for starting pitching would be completely out on the best FA starting pitcher available. 

But dude we’re not desperate don’t forget that.

7 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I don’t see the Angels investing this much money in the team and not being in on Bauer. You don’t drop what they have spent on Rendon and Trout unless you badly want to win, and Bauer is the best way to win. Doesn’t mean they will get him, but I’d be shocked if they weren’t one of his most serious bidders. 

I feel like with Springer, it’s the Mets and Jays. The Mets are sitting back and low balled Springer, because they know he doesn’t want to go to Toronto (or wherever they’re playing this year). 

With Springer already being 31, he wouldn’t be doing himself any favors taking a 1 year deal and waiting till next year either. 

The Mets don’t really need Springer. Not at the price he’s asking for at least. He’s a luxury to them and they’re treating it as such. If Springer was serious about going to Toronto, he probably would’ve signed with them by now. He’s holding out hope the Mets up their offer.

26 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

I feel like with Springer, it’s the Mets and Jays. The Mets are sitting back and low balled Springer, because they know he doesn’t want to go to Toronto (or wherever they’re playing this year). 

With Springer already being 31, he wouldn’t be doing himself any favors taking a 1 year deal and waiting till next year either. 

The Mets don’t really need Springer. Not at the price he’s asking for at least. He’s a luxury to them and they’re treating it as such. If Springer was serious about going to Toronto, he probably would’ve signed with them by now. He’s holding out hope the Mets up their offer.

I think he does go to the Blue Jays and then the Mets look to Brantley or JBJ. 

If Springer goes to the Mets then Blue Jays will be heavy on Bauer. They need as much pitching help as we do.

Breaking down the remaining known teams we are competing with for Bauer:
-Top bats left: Springer, Brantley, Ozuna, Realmuto, Turner
-Top starters left: Bauer, Odorizzi, Tanaka
-Teams that could use offensive upgrades (based on WAR totals by Fangraph): Mets, Blue Jays, 
-Teams that could use starting pitching upgrades (based on WAR totals by FanGraph): Angels, Blue Jays, 

What I think these team could use to put them over the top:
Mets: With a rotation of DeGrom, Carrasco, Stroman, Peterson and then Thor it's clear they don't need pitching. They could use a serious outfield upgrade. They're fine with pitching. 
Blue Jays: They have offense and some pitching but they could use upgrades in both areas. They have payroll flexibility to get both Springer and Bauer, but they usually never spend that much. I think their main priority is one of Springer, Brantley or JBJ, but a serious fallback in Bauer. 
Angels: Oh boy. Okay, their offense is fine. They could use a temporary LF upgrade but it's okay. They need an Ace. I really don't think Odorizzi or someone else cuts it. They need someone who can go deep into games, small injury risk, and a leader for the rotation. They should be all or nothing for Bauer. 
White Sox: They are a HUGE wild card/sleeper team for me. They could be fine as is, or pull a Padres thing and get more pitching than they need. 

Of course, there's 26 other teams so who knows. 

23 minutes ago, EdmontonAngelsFan said:

Are we over Matthew Boyd from Detroit? His name popped up a lot last year it seemed.

Detroit replaced their "old-school" pitching coach with a "new-school" pitching coach, Chris Fetter. So I think Detroit is going to try and see if Boyd can rebound under their new modern pitching coach before trading him. If they traded him now, it'd be trading him at his lowest value.

47 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Angels: Oh boy. Okay, their offense is fine. They could use a temporary LF upgrade but it's okay.

The Angels don't need a temporary left field upgrade. Upton will be the starting left fielder. The question mark is right field.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Could see Boston swooping in on Springer too.

I doubt it because Boston would have to give up their 2nd round pick as compensation, which is going to be a top 40 overall pick because they were the 2nd worst team in MLB last season.