• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

11 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I like both Reddick and Mazara.  Either would be a good fit to be the strong side of a platoon with Ward.  

I'd use caution with Reddick.  Defense is declining, and his OPS against right-handers over the last 3 years (totaling over 900 plate appearances) is a little below .700.  I think he might be done.

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

I know we've chatted about this in the past, but would you guys take on Heyward's contract (not all of it but a good chunk) if we could acquire Kyle Hendricks?

I would because it isn’t my money.  He is still good defensively.  

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I know we've chatted about this in the past, but would you guys take on Heyward's contract (not all of it but a good chunk) if we could acquire Kyle Hendricks?

Heyward has so much negative value that in theory if you offered them something like Barria and Adams the Cubs would have to throw in $20 million to even it out.  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Heyward has so much negative value that in theory if you offered them something like Barria and Adams the Cubs would have to throw in $20 million to even it out.  

Totally. We wouldn't need to dip into our top 4 guys IMO. We may have to deal a Koch or Jackson, or as you mentioned Adams in addition to a guy like Barria, Sandoval to the deal.  But damn, I would do that in a heartbeat. You solve RF and a top of the rotation arm and could still add Bauer or just go for one of those second tier SP's and call it an offseason. 

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I would because it isn’t my money.  He is still good defensively.  

Yep. He's tremendous on defense and adds a lefty bat to the lineup as well. His offense isn't too shabby either. 

4 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Totally. We wouldn't need to dip into our top 4 guys IMO. We may have to deal a Koch or Jackson, or as you mentioned Adams in addition to a guy like Barria, Sandoval to the deal.  But damn, I would do that in a heartbeat. You solve RF and a top of the rotation arm and could still add Bauer or just go for one of those second tier SP's and call it an offseason. 

Yep. He's tremendous on defense and adds a lefty bat to the lineup as well. His offense isn't too shabby either. 

Don’t know if you can still get Bauer because of the cost of Heyward, unless they attribute what the Cubs pay towards this year’s salary.

The OF as currently constructed with Ward in RF and Adell and Marsh in AAA, doesn't have anyone capable of playing CF behind Trout. 

So whoever there Angels sign, that player is likely to platoon in RF with Ward and also serve as the backup CF. This is assuming that Walsh is at 1B and Pujols is the backup there and the starting DH once or twice a week. 

Seeing as they're on a pretty tight budget, it could be Scott Schebler, who isn't necessarily a CF but had experience playing there in limited quantities, and he is a platoon bat. But given the uncertainty of his outcome, and the Angels push to compete, if it is a free agent, that narrows it down to: Albert Almora, Delino DeShields, Jarrod Dyson, Brian Goodwin, Billy Hamilton and Jon Jay.

We can narrow this list even further by eliminating players who aren't particularly adept defensively, or have minimal experience in RF. Based on that premise, the list is likely narrowed to Albert Almora, and Brian Goodwin.

Dyson is older and not producing, Hamilton doesn't have experience in the corner OF, and DeShields doesn't really fit due to function. 

The Angels, or more importantly, Joe Maddon, are familiar with both of Goodwin and Almora. Both are former top prospects. Both have played for Maddon. The large difference here is that Almora just didn't get the opportunities he felt he earned with Maddon and was frustrated, though never openly so to the media, to his credit. 

For this reason, I think the Angels are going to bring back Brian Goodwin. He fits the system, and the team, and could definitely be counted on to start in RF or LF whenever the need arises. He may even take the starting spot from Ward in ST, you never know.

So Goodwin, 1/3 maybe? 

Edited by Second Base

45 minutes ago, Second Base said:

The OF as currently constructed with Ward in RF and Adell and Marsh in AAA, doesn't have anyone capable of playing CF behind Trout. 

So whoever there Angels sign, that player is likely to platoon in RF with Ward and also serve as the backup CF. This is assuming that Walsh is at 1B and Pujols is the backup there and the starting DH once or twice a week. 

Seeing as they're on a pretty tight budget, it could be Scott Schebler, who isn't necessarily a CF but had experience playing there in limited quantities, and he is a platoon bat. But given the uncertainty of his outcome, and the Angels push to compete, if it is a free agent, that narrows it down to: Albert Almora, Delino DeShields, Jarrod Dyson, Brian Goodwin, Billy Hamilton and Jon Jay.

We can narrow this list even further by eliminating players who aren't particularly adept defensively, or have minimal experience in RF. Based on that premise, the list is likely narrowed to Albert Almora, and Brian Goodwin.

Dyson is older and not producing, Hamilton doesn't have experience in the corner OF, and DeShields doesn't really fit due to function. 

The Angels, or more importantly, Joe Maddon, are familiar with both of Goodwin and Almora. Both are former top prospects. Both have played for Maddon. The large difference here is that Almora just didn't get the opportunities he felt he earned with Maddon and was frustrated, though never openly so to the media, to his credit. 

For this reason, I think the Angels are going to bring back Brian Goodwin. He fits the system, and the team, and could definitely be counted on to start in RF or LF whenever the need arises. He may even take the starting spot from Ward in ST, you never know.

So Goodwin, 1/3 maybe? 

100% agree. Not sure if there is any bad blood when they couldn't reach an agreement and went to arbitration. Hamilton is intriguing. A+++ on defense and what a weapon to PR off the bench. 

2 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

If we're going to sign a stop gap RF on a one-year deal on the cheap, I'd look at Josh Reddick or Nomar Mazara or Adam Duvall. 

Reddick and Mazara figure to be the type of player the Angels would sign as a RF stop gap. As free agency drags out and players start signing, someone like Reddick or Mazara is going to wind up without a home and come at a discount. That's perfect for the Angels because the Angels have playing time available and need to save money in RF so they can allocate more money to starting pitching.

28 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Screw Reddick. 

Thank you, I don't want to see a former player from the A's and Astros roaming RF for the Angels.  No thank you.  I've cheered against that guy for years and I'm not done booing his ass.

Edited by T.G.