• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels GM Search Thread - down to Justin Hollander and Perry Minasian, Minasian is the frontrunner

mmc

12 hours ago, Trendon said:

Yeah - I think Byrnes and Neander would be my favorites, given their involvement with Friedman and TB.  Byrnes might be preferred because he has GM experience in the past, but either one would be excellent.

In truth, we probably need to somewhat "operate" like TB moving forward, in that we already have significant money tied up to several players (Trout, Rendon, Pujols/Upton for the next few years, then Ohtani's arbitration years, etc etc).  We need our new GM/President to be creative and find value to complement the core we have.

8 hours ago, Warfarin said:

In truth, we probably need to somewhat "operate" like TB moving forward, in that we already have significant money tied up to several players (Trout, Rendon, Pujols/Upton for the next few years, then Ohtani's arbitration years, etc etc).  We need our new GM/President to be creative and find value to complement the core we have.

This is a lot easier said than done. Sure, we should focus on finding talent cheaply and developing prospects, but there’s a flip side to this. Teams like Tampa and Oakland, due to their financial restraints, also need to constantly churn good young players in order to keep the pipes flowing. As soon as someone is producing and there’s evidence a replacement is behind them, they have to at least consider moving them. The way the 2021 team is constructed, we can’t really do that - and if we did try to subscribe to that plan, as the year goes on, we’d be trading guys like Fletcher, Walsh, Stassi, Pena, Canning, or Barria as they were proving themselves, and we’d definitely be trading one of Heaney or Bundy this winter. 

It’s a good thought in theory but not ideal in practice - especially with a Win Now Arte. It’s a high-risk strategy that those orgs have gotten down to a science because of their constraints and it would not necessarily translate here. Put a GM used to constantly moving value for value into a FO with a meddling, win-now owner and I would fear you’d get something a little too similar to Dipoto territory.

Ironically, I think this offseason would have been set up to Eppler’s strengths more than ever. One-year vets to keep payroll flexible, a key trade, something he was usually good at it, this time involving some actual prospects, and then facing his biggest weakness - signing a good FA SP.

Edited by totdprods

I like the idea of finding talent from a franchise with a well run and super effective front office like the Rays, we have the money.  If they feel they aren't being payed enough for their services making the Rays so effective they should speak up.  We're here to help them help us, our market is huge and we have one of the best players and the most exciting player on the same team. 

*The only caveat* I see with hiring someone from the Rays front office is that we might have too much money, too lax, perhaps the financially restrictive nature of a front office like the Rays is it forces real clever and cost effective methodology to acquiring talent that wouldn't be possible unless we forced the same restrictions on ourselves.

16 hours ago, totdprods said:

This is a lot easier said than done. Sure, we should focus on finding talent cheaply and developing prospects, but there’s a flip side to this. Teams like Tampa and Oakland, due to their financial restraints, also need to constantly churn good young players in order to keep the pipes flowing. As soon as someone is producing and there’s evidence a replacement is behind them, they have to at least consider moving them. The way the 2021 team is constructed, we can’t really do that - and if we did try to subscribe to that plan, as the year goes on, we’d be trading guys like Fletcher, Walsh, Stassi, Pena, Canning, or Barria as they were proving themselves, and we’d definitely be trading one of Heaney or Bundy this winter. 

It’s a good thought in theory but not ideal in practice - especially with a Win Now Arte. It’s a high-risk strategy that those orgs have gotten down to a science because of their constraints and it would not necessarily translate here. Put a GM used to constantly moving value for value into a FO with a meddling, win-now owner and I would fear you’d get something a little too similar to Dipoto territory.

Ironically, I think this offseason would have been set up to Eppler’s strengths more than ever. One-year vets to keep payroll flexible, a key trade, something he was usually good at it, this time involving some actual prospects, and then facing his biggest weakness - signing a good FA SP.

Sorry - I should have clarified.  I don't mean for us to totally operate like the Rays/Oakland, but rather, the Dodgers.  We operate with a similar payroll as they do.  We can afford the stars, and IF we can complement it with good, young, cheap talent, that's obviously the best combination.  The Dodgers showed the baseball world what happens when you combine the Rays/A's mentality and structure with a gigantic payroll - you get a really good, long-term contender with no end in sight in terms of contention.

That is what I want for our team.

10 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Sorry - I should have clarified.  I don't mean for us to totally operate like the Rays/Oakland, but rather, the Dodgers.  We operate with a similar payroll as they do.  We can afford the stars, and IF we can complement it with good, young, cheap talent, that's obviously the best combination.  The Dodgers showed the baseball world what happens when you combine the Rays/A's mentality and structure with a gigantic payroll - you get a really good, long-term contender with no end in sight in terms of contention.

That is what I want for our team.

Oh, I absolutely agree and understood - all I’m saying is even implementing a Dodgers-type strategy would take some time and would be difficult to initiate right away already. They spent a ridiculous, impossible amount of money early on to hoard and sign young talent in a way that I don’t think is even allowed anymore, plus they’ve had a generational Latin development program established that we simply don’t have. 

They closest they could come is hiring and setting a similar ops structure and prioritizing development, Arte significantly upping payroll for a season or three, and a couple major trades of prospects for good young players, all over the course of an offseason or two. 

As I wrote that, it actually sounded more like the ideal set-up for Dombrowski, or for a hybrid Pres Ops+GM structure. 

13 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Oh, I absolutely agree and understood - all I’m saying is even implementing a Dodgers-type strategy would take some time and would be difficult to initiate right away already. They spent a ridiculous, impossible amount of money early on to hoard and sign young talent in a way that I don’t think is even allowed anymore, plus they’ve had a generational Latin development program established that we simply don’t have. 

They closest they could come is hiring and setting a similar ops structure and prioritizing development, Arte significantly upping payroll for a season or three, and a couple major trades of prospects for good young players, all over the course of an offseason or two. 

As I wrote that, it actually sounded more like the ideal set-up for Dombrowski, or for a hybrid Pres Ops+GM structure. 

They did, but remember - they did that because McCourt completely gutted that team and they had no talent on both the MLB AND MILB teams.  Players were nervous that their checks would bounce because McCourt was basically bankrupt, lol.  So the new ownership basically agreed to add enormous contracts for the sake of making that team competitive immediately and turning things around.  They did that, while over a few years, gradually rebuilding that minor league system.

We have some of the best players in the sport in Trout, Rendon, etc.  So we're considerably further ahead then those 2012 Dodgers in that we already have legit star power.  What we need is someone who can find the Max Muncy, Chris Taylors, Mike Yaztremskis, etc, to help complement our star nucleus, as well as continue to build our minor league system.  

The 2020 Angels were basically the "stars and scrubs" approach, with some star players and a bunch of really below average players.  It took some time, but we did find some very nice complementary players along the way (Walsh, Ward, Barria, etc).  Still, it would behoove us to employ a President/GM who can further that approach and help find a few more.  

I find myself having a hard time caring much if at all who the next GM will be if it's just going to be more of the same or a shift away from process driven team building.  Also, I know it's Arte's team and his money but..   You hire Maddon, give him a three year contract then can the GM the following year.   So once again, we have a GM coming in unable to pick his own manager.   Effing stupid.

Huh? I wasn't playing semantics. I just said if the Cubs had already made a decision, why would they schedule a meeting later this week? It doesn't make sense . He may get canned, but to say it's already a done deal is questionable. 

3 minutes ago, Lou said:

Huh? I wasn't playing semantics. I just said if the Cubs had already made a decision, why would they schedule a meeting later this week? It doesn't make sense . He may get canned, but to say it's already a done deal is questionable. 

My first post about it said he might be available.  NBC believes enough to post that he’s out.   I think it’s pretty likely that he will be available.  I could be wrong.  

35 minutes ago, Angel said:

I know I already said the Angels/Scioscia bridge has been burned, but with Maddon back perhaps amends will be made and Scioscia will be convinced to return and join the front office etc.  It's a possibility at least.

contrary to opinion, scioscia has zero experience in the front office.