• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bring back Richards

Angels 1961

4 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

As the second starter they bring in. One of Gausman/Odorizzi/Stroman and Richards would give us a lot of depth, just not the bonafide ace we've been longing for, but maybe enough with the very nice lineup that's developing, and a hopefully re-vamped bullpen.

Yeah, Richards would be a nice gamble as a "flyer" type free agency signing.  Assuming Arte doesn't break the bank on a Bauer, then Gausman (3/45 type deal?) plus Richards (2/10?) would be a combination I'd be down with.

If Richards doesn't quite pan out as a SP, then a 2/10 is a reasonable contract for a reliever.  With his stuff, he could probably be a pretty good high-leverage reliever, which we also need.

Having some combination of Bundy, Gausman, Heaney, Canning, and Barria, with Richards, maybe Ohtani, Suarez, and Sandoval mixed in should give us more than enough SPs.  

Richards really made out well in his 2yr $15mil contract with the Fathers.  A total of 16 games pitched in 2 years (last year rehabilitating with TJ) and around 57 innings. He still only has only 800 innings pitched in his MLB career. If his arm is healthy, he still could be a nice arm to have. 

I'd only sign Richards if the team is desperate and loses out on Bauer, Stroman, Odorizzi and Gausman, and/or Garret is OK with being more of a swing-man, in the case that the other guys are healthy and Barria continues as is. His performance this year doesn't make him a lock for the rotation next year, especially if Ohtani can pitch. I just don't see Garret wanting to be insurance, and presumably the Angels will sign a better pitcher. So on a hypothetical depth chart, he's down the list a bit - plus more expensive than Canning/Sandoval/Barria/Suarez:

Bauer

Bundy

Heaney

Ohtani

Odorizzi/Stroman/Gausman

Canning

Barria

Richards

Sandoval

Suarez

So that's five pitchers in-house who are all likely to be better than Richards, if Richards is the same pitcher next year, and even Sandoval could be better if his recent performance is projective. Ohtani could be anywhere between Bauer and Suarez, so his place is estimated, and Bundy/Heaney are roughly equal to the three possible free agents.

42 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'd only sign Richards if the team is desperate and loses out on Bauer, Stroman, Odorizzi and Gausman, and/or Garret is OK with being more of a swing-man, in the case that the other guys are healthy and Barria continues as is.

Going to be interesting to see what the Odorizzi contract will look like.  Dude's been off and on the IL all year, hasn't pitched well when he did make it into games, and having been offered a QO last winter he's ineligible this season.  He was hoping to benefit from the weaker FA class this year but it may have backfired.

Stroman is another guy that may have a weird market.   Guy opted out while hurt and teams may play off the whole "is he ok now" narratives.

1 hour ago, jordan said:

Richards really made out well in his 2yr $15mil contract with the Fathers.  A total of 16 games pitched in 2 years (last year rehabilitating with TJ) and around 57 innings. He still only has only 800 innings pitched in his MLB career. If his arm is healthy, he still could be a nice arm to have. 

Richards will bounce back. I think he would be a good acquisition.

1 hour ago, jordan said:

It's not about innings pitched but mechanics. Unless he has cleaned up up his delivery there is less chance of him reaching another 800 innings pitched in his career. He can still bring it at 97 mph but maybe that is bullpen reliable over every 5 days reliable. 

Seeing this thread reminds me of the bring back GA, Figgins, etc. threads.  After reaching 207.1 IP in 2015 he went on to pitch a total of 145.7 innings the next 4 seasons.  He's 32 and currently posting a 4.20 ERA and 1.28 WHIP.  If he's brought back it's as a peanut for cheap and the hope is best case scenario he cracks the rotation or at the very least he gives the team depth while pitching out of the pen.  If he were to crack the rotation hopefully it's more because of how he's pitching and not how bad the other options are.  Richards should be like option M or even further down the wish list. 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

It's not about innings pitched but mechanics. Unless he has cleaned up up his delivery there is less chance of him reaching another 800 innings pitched in his career. He can still bring it at 97 mph but maybe that is bullpen reliable over every 5 days reliable. 

This is a good point.   Spread out his use, vs throwing 100 pitches every 5 days with that delivery.

K-Rod was converted to the pen before the 2002 season, as he had a high maintenance delivery as well.   Worked out great for him, of course.

The Heat/Slider combo looks good in the pen.

Edited by Angel Oracle

3 hours ago, jordan said:

Except he isn't getting the full $15M because this season is prorated.

I still think Richards has one season left in him where he puts it all together and dominates. The talent had always been there. It's still there as far as I can tell. I certainly wouldn't sign him for more than one year and a few million, but between him and Ohtani, you have to figure combined they could give you a decent number of quality innings before each are injured next year. 

Richards isn't an answer as much as he's a worthwhile gamble.

On 9/24/2020 at 12:25 PM, Hubs said:

It would have to be three years, and I bet he's gonna get 12/15/18. 3/45.

you really think someone is gonna give GR 15 million per year when he just got done with 7.5 million per year? what has he done that would project that kind of increase and commitment?

I'd be cool with Richards, but on something more of a 2/10 contract.

If he struggles as a SP, then he could become a high-leverage reliever, which would still make a 2/10 deal worthwhile.

In an ideal offseason, I'd sign both Bauer and Richards, and perhaps a modest deal for a backup catcher (which would put Bemboom in AAA and give us decent catching depth).

I've said it in other posts, but realistically, we need 8-9 SPs to cover the course of a full season, given likely injuries and whatnot.  Having Bauer, Bundy, Heaney, Barria, Canning, Richards, Ohtani*, Sandoval, and Suarez gives us 9 SPs, and that should be enough to navigate through a season.