• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Andrelton Simmons opts out of the remainder of the season (Angels recall Elliot Soto)

mmc

If people have a problem with what Dipoto did and what Simmons did just now then I don't know what to say. They're the same thing. Simmons calling it quits on the Angels with 5 games left is the just a bad look. Good luck in the off season Simmons, I hope the Angels don't try and re sign you and I hope you get all the money you are looking for. I am not a fan of this at all, I am not a fan of players quitting on their team. I bet there are multiple people inside that locker room who feel the exact same as I. 

5 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I wonder if he talked to the Angels and are working toward an agreement and they mutually thought it was best to end his season to prepare for 2021 and beyond?

I would guess it's the opposite @Chuckster70.  If a deal was imminent, I think he'd keep playing.  This smells like him protecting himself for his impending free agency.  

plus, I know it's a tremendous long shot, but the team hasn't officially been eliminated from the playoffs.  For him to opt out when there's still a slim chance wouldn't sit well with me if I were his teammate.  

Just now, Dochalo said:

I would guess it's the opposite @Chuckster70.  If a deal was imminent, I think he'd keep playing.  This smells like him protecting himself for his impending free agency.  

plus, I know it's a tremendous long shot, but the team hasn't officially been eliminated from the playoffs.  For him to opt out when there's still a slim chance wouldn't sit well with me if I were his teammate.  

Very well could be. Oh well. 

There are 2B available via FA, I'm fine with going with Fletcher at 2B and saving that Simmons $$$ for SP and RP. 

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

Very well could be. Oh well. 

There are 2B available via FA, I'm fine with going with Fletcher at 2B and saving that Simmons $$$ for SP and RP. 

Fletcher will be our everyday SS and Barreto/Rengifo will be given every opportunity to take the starting 2nd base job. That Simmons money should be going towards pitching anyways.

I was cool with anyone opting out for any reason, but I dunno about this.  It has nothing to do with the risk of getting Covid. He's already been dealing with all that for two months and they are at less risk than most people of contracting it anyway.  Seems like other considerations (i.e. free agency, family stuff).  He has the right to do it, of course, but I think the circumstances (they aren't even eliminated yet) open him up to scrutiny.  Hope he went the Middleton route on social media.

3 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Fletcher will be our everyday SS and Barreto/Rengifo will be given every opportunity to take the starting 2nd base job. That Simmons money should be going towards pitching anyways.

There are some solid second baseman I'm sure we can get for a 1/3 of the price of Simmons this offseason. I would rather let Rengifo/Barreto fight it out for the utility spot.

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 3.44.56 PM.png

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

There are some solid second baseman I'm sure we can get for a 1/3 of the price of Simmons this offseason. I would rather let Rengifo/Barreto fight it out for the utility spot.

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 3.44.56 PM.png

This is where the Barreto injury sucks. He was getting every opportunity to play then got injured right when he was starting to hit the ball better and now we don't know what we have with him until next season.