• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Andrelton Simmons opts out of the remainder of the season (Angels recall Elliot Soto)

mmc

I understand his position on this.  I think it’s unlikely that he’ll be retained on the type of contract he probably deserves.  I wish Simba well and really enjoyed and appreciated his play with the Angels.  If he’s back.  Fine, hopefully at a rate that is good for both parties.  If not I hope he gets paid.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Of course you focus on that.  How bout the part where it is best for his family.  

Everyone else sees the exact same thing as I do. But you see something different. Come on man it’s not that hard to read between the lines. Even the manager didn’t see this coming. 

1 minute ago, Kevinb said:

Everyone else sees the exact same thing as I do. But you see something different. Come on man it’s not that hard to read between the lines. Even the manager didn’t see this coming. 

So the manager didn’t see it coming but you think he threw a temper tantrum and quit.  Got it.  Or, you know it could be a family issue.  

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So the manager didn’t see it coming but you think he threw a temper tantrum and quit.  Got it.  Or, you know it could be a family issue.  

Where did I say temper tantrum? I said he quit on his team. There’s 5 games left he’s over it and quit. Doesn’t want to play for the Angels anymore or doesn’t want to play while risking injury before free agency. It makes perfect sense. Youre the only one who sees it as well he quit cause someone in his family was sick and he’s doing the unselfish thing. This is selfish. He quit. It’s fine it is what it is. But you can’t just ignore the facts. No one even knew. It’s not a good look I’m sorry. The family issue that it is, is that he doesn’t want to risk losing millions by getting injured before free agency. So in that terms yes it is a family issue. 

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

I wonder if he talked to the Angels and are working toward an agreement and they mutually thought it was best to end his season to prepare for 2021 and beyond?

Or he was told they wouldn't be offering him an extension and he decided he had no choice but to save his body for FA. l hope you're right and I'm wrong... We need a SS if he leaves, l guess we to sign La Stella and move Fletcher to SS, but l want Simmons with him, Rendon, Fletcher and Walsh, we have one of the best IF in baseball.

42 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Like it or not he is quitting on the team. Not finishing the year, and as you said meaningless games that could cost his family millions. It's quitting you can not like the term but that is exactly what that is. 

The rest of the team is still lacing up and playing. Would you be ok if Trout did the same thing last year before the Angels were eliminated from making the playoffs? How about once the Angels were eliminated would you be ok with it? 

Yes. I’d be disappointed, but I’d understand it. It’s a business. 

And on the other question that’s going around, I’d be shocked at this point to see him in an Angels uniform again at this point. Was already a narrow possibility, but now it seems basically certain he’s gone. Definitely going to miss him. 

1 or 2 NBA players did the same thing.  In anticipation of a large FA contract, the player(s) sat out as the team(s) had a very slim chance of making the playoffs, just in the small chance he gets a major injury.  I remember one of the players was on the Wizards and the team and the teammates were widely in support of this move, as the team is trying to resign him and thus want to ensure to make him happy and the players know this is a business.  Without having further insight, I'm sure the players understand what Simmons is doing and respect the decision.  His next contract is most likely his last big contract and to risk that over 5 games that don't really matter, I don't blame him and would probably do it as well if I were him. 

2 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Yes. I’d be disappointed, but I’d understand it. It’s a business. 

And on the other question that’s going around, I’d be shocked at this point to see him in an Angels uniform again at this point. Was already a narrow possibility, but now it seems basically certain he’s gone. Definitely going to miss him. 

I guess I don’t understand that thinking. At what point would you be ticked off that someone quit on his team? Or their fans? We get mad all day long that this or that person sucks. But at least they’re still trying.  They’re not good anymore but they’re going out there every day trying to be good. Quitting to me is inexcusable. It’s 5 games left. I understand it in the fact the offseason will be here shortly, but I don’t in the fact at the end of the day these are your teammates you don’t just walk out on them. Not a great look. 

4 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

I guess I don’t understand that thinking. At what point would you be ticked off that someone quit on his team? Or their fans? We get mad all day long that this or that person sucks. But at least they’re still trying.  They’re not good anymore but they’re going out there every day trying to be good. Quitting to me is inexcusable. It’s 5 games left. I understand it in the fact the offseason will be here shortly, but I don’t in the fact at the end of the day these are your teammates you don’t just walk out on them. Not a great look. 

Yep, a quick trip to SD and basically back home playing in LA you make that trip with your teammates. It’s not like they were asking him to fly to another state. It’s basically a 95 mile road trip. He’s making a statement.

What sort of precedent does this set? Unless there are serious issues not disclosed it is the antithesis of team spirit and solidarity. Or loyalty to team mates. Also reinforces the idea the Angels are more a collection of individuals than a close knit unit.

Doesn't say much for his professionalism or leadership. Could be a red flag in free agency, though I doubt it. 

55 minutes ago, Pujols4MVP said:

So the Angels will have Barretto, Rengifo and Pujols in their INF next season. Another long season in 2021.

Maddon has already shown he has zero commitment to Pujols unless Pujols performs. If Walsh plays next year anywhere close to the last month, he will be the starting 1B. As far as Barreto and Rengifo, I’m assuming Fletcher is guaranteed a spot, probably at SS, meaning one spot remaining for whoever wins the job. 

Rendon, Fletcher, Walsh, and an open competition among highly regarded young guys is not a bad position to be in. 

3 minutes ago, Bronson said:

That Maddon quote is concerning. Sounds like the dude just dipped without telling anyone. Real dick move. I love Simmons but I lost an incredible amount of respect for him.

Probably his wife/agent are leaning on him and he ghosted out because he feels bad about how he’s leaving. But he doesn’t expect to be re-sign here, so that’s the end of it. I personally have no hard feelings at all, and if he somehow does come back, I’ll be stoked. 

6 minutes ago, Bronson said:

That Maddon quote is concerning. Sounds like the dude just dipped without telling anyone. Real dick move. I love Simmons but I lost an incredible amount of respect for him.

Yeah, that Maddon quote was rather interesting.

He's not being re-signed, IMO.  I'm okay with Fletcher at SS and Rengifo/Barreto/Jones/Thaiss (!?) battling it out for 2B.