• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Andrelton Simmons opts out of the remainder of the season (Angels recall Elliot Soto)

mmc

9 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

If people have a problem with what Dipoto did and what Simmons did just now then I don't know what to say. They're the same thing. Simmons calling it quits on the Angels with 5 games left is the just a bad look. Good luck in the off season Simmons, I hope the Angels don't try and re sign you and I hope you get all the money you are looking for. I am not a fan of this at all, I am not a fan of players quitting on their team. I bet there are multiple people inside that locker room who feel the exact same as I. 

Not at all close to the same thing. The Angels are playing meaningless games and Simmons faces the risk of injuring himself and costing himself millions of dollars. Dipoto didn't face any of those risks. This is like Christain McCaffrey skipping the Sun Bowl. Big Whoop!

1 minute ago, eaterfan said:

Not at all close to the same thing. The Angels are playing meaningless games and Simmons faces the risk of injuring himself and costing himself millions of dollars. Dipoto didn't face any of those risks. This is like Christain McCaffrey skipping the Sun Bowl. Big Whoop!

Wonder if his former teammates agree.

There could be some other reasons we are not aware of right now that could've played a factor in Simmons' decision, but if there aren't any then it's a bad look for the Angels. Don't get me wrong. Simmons has the right to opt out, and I completely respect that.

It's just a bad look for the Angels if a player is opting out with 5 games to go in the season. I hope it catches Arte's attention because Arte needs to look in the mirror and realize that the way he's running the team isn't working.

• mmc changed the title to Andrelton Simmons opts out of the remainder of the season (Angels recall Elliot Soto)
13 minutes ago, halomatt said:

Literally could be any reason, from protecting his professional interests, to injury, to family illness (COVID, or otherwise).  Hope everything's okay in his world.

That was my first thought, too. It seems like there might be a piece of information we don't have yet. 

(Although I'm kind of hoping Trout opts out Saturday evening so he can watch the Eagles game Sunday. That would be funny.) 

And whether or not Simmons was going to come back next year is still up in the air, unless of course Simmons doesn’t want to come back.  Even if Eppler gave him the impression he wasn’t coming back, there is a real possibility Eppler won’t be back, which would mean it would come down to his successor.  My guess is this is a family issue or he was simply still playing with pain and it didn’t make sense to do so anymore.  

I'll miss his extraordinary defense at shortstop. It was almost a nightly highlight reel where he made plays out of the reach of other shortstops skills.

I'm ok with Fletcher and Rengifo manning the middle infield. It won't be as air right as Simmons at SS but it should be above league average defensively. Hopefully Rengifo gets his bat into the game so we have a solid five plus years of the same two guys playing together. 

13 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

It would be like Christian Mc leaving week 14 when the panthers are 2 games out of the playoffs. The sun bowl is meaningless. This is still meaningful regular season games. Defend him all you want. But Simmons is a quitter plain and simple. Walked out on his teammates during the regular season. Complete chicken shit thing to do. 

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

And whether or not Simmons was going to come back next year is still up in the air, unless of course Simmons doesn’t want to come back.  Even if Eppler gave him the impression he wasn’t coming back, there is a real possibility Eppler won’t be back, which would mean it would come down to his successor.  My guess is this is a family issue or he was simply still playing with pain and it didn’t make sense to do so anymore.  

This is nothing less nothing more than a selfish move. It wasn’t about his teammates at all it was about him and free agency. That’s it and that’s all folks. Good luck to him and his future team. 

Just now, Don said:

Unless there’s something going on that we don’t know about, this looks pretty bad. I wouldn’t have a problem with it at all if we were officially eliminated. 

So in game 120-130 if the Angels were eliminated you’d be ok with the entire major league team just opting out of the season? 

3 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

This is nothing less nothing more than a selfish move. It wasn’t about his teammates at all it was about him and free agency. That’s it and that’s all folks. Good luck to him and his future team. 

You have no idea if that is true or not.  You don’t know if his family is dealing with something or not.  So no, it is not all folks.  

55 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

Can't blame him. The team isn't making the playoffs and he's heading to free agency. Why risk blowing out a knee, elbow, or ankle?

I think this is it. I’m bummed, but people saying he’s quitting on the team: C’mon. Let’s be real. 

He’s doing what’s best for his family. As he should. Why play a handful of almost certainly meaningful games that could potentially cost his family millions? He isn’t a sure thing to get a big dollar contract; if anything, he’s already in a tough spot. If he gets injured? That’s basically it. No one should be upset with him over this.

3 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

I think this is it. I’m bummed, but people saying he’s quitting on the team: C’mon. Let’s be real. 

He’s doing what’s best for his family. As he should. Why play a handful of almost certainly meaningful games that could potentially cost his family millions? He isn’t a sure thing to get a big dollar contract; if anything, he’s already in a tough spot. If he gets injured? That’s basically it. No one should be upset with him over this.

Like it or not he is quitting on the team. Not finishing the year, and as you said meaningless games that could cost his family millions. It's quitting you can not like the term but that is exactly what that is. 

The rest of the team is still lacing up and playing. Would you be ok if Trout did the same thing last year before the Angels were eliminated from making the playoffs? How about once the Angels were eliminated would you be ok with it?