• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Andrelton Simmons opts out of the remainder of the season (Angels recall Elliot Soto)

mmc

1 hour ago, Kevinb said:

So in game 120-130 if the Angels were eliminated you’d be ok with the entire major league team just opting out of the season? 

That’s a bit of a leap there. I obviously wouldn’t be ok with that. But in this weird season, with the injuries he’s had, and heading into FA, I’d have no problem with Simmons taking the last few games off IF we were mathematically eliminated. Doing it before we’re eliminated though is pretty unprofessional (assuming there’s not some other personal/family issue).

1 minute ago, Don said:

That’s a bit of a leap there. I obviously wouldn’t be ok with that. But in this weird season, with the injuries he’s had, and heading into FA, I’d have no problem with Simmons taking the last few games off IF we were mathematically eliminated. Doing it before we’re eliminated though is pretty unprofessional (assuming there’s not some other personal/family issue).

Well technically we aren't officially eliminated yet. 

22 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Yeah, that Maddon quote was rather interesting.

He's not being re-signed, IMO.  I'm okay with Fletcher at SS and Rengifo/Barreto/Jones/Thaiss (!?) battling it out for 2B.  

Rendon 3B, Gregorious SS, Fletcher 2B, Walsh 1B. 
Great infield with solid defense and a lot of power. 

36 minutes ago, RendZone said:

Rendon 3B, Gregorious SS, Fletcher 2B, Walsh 1B. 
Great infield with solid defense and a lot of power. 

I think Fletcher is a better defender at SS than Gregorious is.  Thus, I'd rather just shift Fletcher there and find internal solutions for 2B.  Or, alternatively, look at a free agent at 2B.  2B is a lot cheaper to fill than SS.

That said - I would not give up on Regifo just yet.  I know a lot of people are down on him, but he's only 23 years old and has good BB/K rates in the minors - a promising sign about what he could potentially do.  He was rated as our best defender at 2B in 2019 (ahead of Fletcher) per Fangraphs, too.  

I would like to give him a full, healthy offseason to work on his game and see what he can do at the start of next year.  

29 minutes ago, Justin said:

I'd prefer they don't sign a 31-year-old free agent to play SS. 

If they do, I'd prefer they sign Simba. 

Simba has a terrible exit velocity which is the most important stat trending right now. His launch angle wasn’t very good either. 

Just now, RendZone said:

Simba has a terrible exit velocity which is the most important stat trending right now. His launch angle wasn’t very good either. 

Just to be clear, I don't want the Angels to sign him as a free agent. But I want them to sign Gregorious even less. 

Well, this sucks.

I have only watched maybe 1 or 2 games this year, and maybe listened to 5 or so on the radio, but just heard the news 

Simmons was my fave... sucks to see him gone. Gonna miss his defense for sure, and that weird ass swing when he whips a double down the left line. 

Was fun as hell to watch the last few years. Didnt think hed replace aybar, and he did.

12 minutes ago, Justin said:

Just to be clear, I don't want the Angels to sign him as a free agent. But I want them to sign Gregorious even less. 

Didi would not be a bad pickup for 2-3 years. He’s still a solid defender and has pop plus he has a good track record in Anaheim. 

41DF0224-FEF0-4A54-B2D9-87CC5167CEF7.jpeg

4CF2833A-AF84-4668-B2CA-BD6635FCAC6E.jpeg

2 minutes ago, RendZone said:

Didi would not be a bad pickup for 2-3 years. He’s still a solid defender and has pop plus he has a good track record in Anaheim. 

I would prefer they spend available money on pitching rather than a free agent shortstop in his 30s. If they do decide to go that route, I would prefer they bring back Simba just because I love watching him on defense., even though he often frustrates the hell out of me at the plate.

2 hours ago, Kevinb said:

Where did I say temper tantrum? I said he quit on his team. There’s 5 games left he’s over it and quit. Doesn’t want to play for the Angels anymore or doesn’t want to play while risking injury before free agency. It makes perfect sense. Youre the only one who sees it as well he quit cause someone in his family was sick and he’s doing the unselfish thing. This is selfish. He quit. It’s fine it is what it is. But you can’t just ignore the facts. No one even knew. It’s not a good look I’m sorry. The family issue that it is, is that he doesn’t want to risk losing millions by getting injured before free agency. So in that terms yes it is a family issue. 

Wow, okay, eeyore.

2 minutes ago, Tank said:

Wow, okay, eeyore.

Totally tank. I don't think you've actually seen a Winnie the Pooh episode in a while so I am not sure you know who Eeyore is. Where am I saying woo is me? I am simply stating facts. It's not a good look no matter how you slice it. Hope it works out for him in free agency and with his next time. I don't like quitting on your teammates. I wouldn't like it if someone quit in the 3rd period in hockey and just left the game and I don't like it leaving the team with 5 games left to play. You can disagree. But no where am I wishing Simmons ill will and no where am I feeling sorry for him or myself. 

Nobody here knows the circumstances surrounding his decision or his actions, but what the hell - that's not going to stop some from passing judgement and pretending to know what it all means. That's pathetic. 

Nothing in his past behavior would lead me to believe he's being a jerk or selfish or whatever other brush you want to paint him with. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because he's earned that, IMO.

Everyone and I mean everyone is going through something that none of us know about. Have some human decency. You have a choice... you can assume the worst or give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

1 hour ago, RendZone said:

Exit velocity 2020

Simba - 86.5, max 105.8  https://www.fangraphs.com/players/andrelton-simmons/10847/stats#statcast  Simba also has the edge in Hard Hit%.   
Didi - 84.3, max 104.7  https://www.fangraphs.com/players/didi-gregorius/6012/stats#statcast   Didi's exit velocity is 4 MPH off where it was last year.   

You're making the mistake of ignoring how his home park has inflated his numbers.  

Home: .314/.364/.551 - .915
Away: .247/.317/.397 - .714

With Didi, the exit velocity hints at a decline in skill, something the home park might be helping to mask

3 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Exit velocity 2020

Simba - 86.5, max 105.8  https://www.fangraphs.com/players/andrelton-simmons/10847/stats#statcast  Simba also has the edge in Hard Hit%.   
Didi - 84.3, max 104.7  https://www.fangraphs.com/players/didi-gregorius/6012/stats#statcast   Didi's exit velocity is 4 MPH off where it was last year.   

You're making the mistake of ignoring how his home park has inflated his numbers.  

Home: .314/.364/.551 - .915
Away: .247/.317/.397 - .714

With Didi, the exit velocity hints at a decline in skill, something the home park might be helping to mask

Yet another IP beat down.