• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pujols in 2021

I know, not a fresh topic. But he’s now become so bad that it deserves a little more discussion about what exactly the plan is for next year. 

Is it at all realistic to hope that Arte will just give him his 30 million this offseason and tell him thank you but we need the roster spot? Or are we just going to ride it out again?

3 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Is it at all realistic to hope that Arte will just give him his 30 million this offseason and tell him thank you but we need the roster spot? Or are we just going to ride it out again?

No chance. 

He’ll serve out as the 26th man, PH/DH/1B vet presence and enjoy a farewell tour. Or if we still don’t have a 1B worth a damn to replace him, a part-time platoon.

Just now, totdprods said:

No chance. 

He’ll serve out as the 26th man, PH/DH/1B vet presence and enjoy a farewell tour. Or if we still don’t have a 1B worth a damn to replace him, a part-time platoon.

We had one this year that they just traded away(which was fine given where we are in the standings).

But yes, the new GM will need to acquire someone better than him, which shouldn’t be hard but was also a massive failure by eppler

I haven't cared about Pujols in 6 or 7 years. He is what he is a declining over the hill first ballot Hall of Famer. The Angels because of this have tried literally nothing to upgrade his position and the one time we had an upgrade they traded him. Pujols isn't our biggest problem though. Pitching has been our biggest problem going on 5 plus years now. Pujols starting is just part of the problem that is the Angels as a whole. Only 1 year left, my how time flies. 

He sucks. Only thing he is good at nowadays is getting those cheap RBI's, which is a useless stat. I would hate to go to me grave and knowing that Pujols ended his career with a batting average under .300. It does not feel right to me but it's likely going to be that way. Hated the way Fat Mike would bat this fool higher in the order than where he actually was during his last few years managing this team. At least he's outta here! Pujols can go with him! 

1 minute ago, JustATroutFan said:

He sucks. Only thing he is good at nowadays is getting those cheap RBI's, which is a useless stat. I would hate to go to me grave and knowing that Pujols ended his career with a batting average under .300. It does not feel right to me but it's likely going to be that way. Hated the way Fat Mike would bat this fool higher in the order than where he actually was during his last few years managing this team. At least he's outta here! Pujols can go with him! 

Why? It's not your stats. Why does it matter? 

Just now, angelsnationtalk said:

Arte want him for the records. He will pay him whatever it takes for Pujols to do it in an Angels uniform. 

After passing Mays hopefully in September, what records are there for him to realistically get to now. He’s not passing Aaron on the RBI list and has no chance at Really getting to 700.

that was kind of my point of starting the thread: he’s mostly done or will have done the records Arte and him wanted. Where do you go from here?

Just now, GrittyVeterans said:

After passing Mays hopefully in September, what records are there for him to realistically get to now. He’s not passing Aaron on the RBI list and has no chance at Really getting to 700.

that was kind of my point of starting the thread: he’s mostly done or will have done the records Arte and him wanted. Where do you go from here?

I agree he's done and a complete waste of $30M. 

Arte doesn't...

2 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Arte want him for the records. He will pay him whatever it takes for Pujols to do it in an Angels uniform. 

After a couple milestones this year there isn’t much for him to pursue next year.  It’s probably time to have an honest discussion with him about what he wants to do.

Announce his own retirement or roll with either being released or just never playing.

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

After a couple milestones this year there isn’t much for him to pursue next year.  It’s probably time to have an honest discussion with him about what he wants to do.

Announce his own retirement or roll with either being released or just never playing.

nothing will change.  Next year will be his farewell tour and he'll occupy a roster spot while playing very little.  He'll get paid what he's owed and continue to fade out making some spring appearances the following year.  It'll play out like water torture as we all expected.  If there were going to be an opportunity for the Angels to save a little cash or even defer some of his money and create some additional payroll flex for next year, that announcement would have already come and he'd be getting surfboards and painting of pictures of himself as he bids fairtheewell to the game.  That will happen in 2021.  

As an icon of the game the Angels have somewhat obligated themselves to accommodate his exit strategy.  Some may call BS on that and claim it's not necessary, but it is what it is.  I just hope he actually retires after next year and doesn't try to latch on to some other team on a minor league deal so he can keep playing.  That would be even more demoralizing that seeing what he's now become.  

54 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

I know, not a fresh topic. But he’s now become so bad that it deserves a little more discussion about what exactly the plan is for next year. 

Are has bought out 30 million before.

50 minutes ago, totdprods said:

No chance. 

Pretty much this. I do wish that the Angels would call up Thaiss to give him more of a chance, as he seems to be the best of the Mediocre Trio (along with Ward and Walsh). Maybe the Angels are just letting Pujols play until he passes Mays.

the cards aren't going to do shit until he's done.  there's no reason for them to cough up a red cent.  When it's time they'll swoon over him to tickle the rears of cards fans and Albert will rightly eat it up.  The Angels will end up a footnote and afterthought to the celebration of his HOF career with the cards.  The Angels will also make an attempt to celebrate his accomplishments as if they were somehow an accomplice yet they'll be cast aside on a national level as us fans continue to lament the signing and the lack of acknowledgement butt hurt ensues.  

29 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

nothing will change.  Next year will be his farewell tour and he'll occupy a roster spot while playing very little.  He'll get paid what he's owed and continue to fade out making some spring appearances the following year.  It'll play out like water torture as we all expected.  If there were going to be an opportunity for the Angels to save a little cash or even defer some of his money and create some additional payroll flex for next year, that announcement would have already come and he'd be getting surfboards and painting of pictures of himself as he bids fairtheewell to the game.  That will happen in 2021.  

As an icon of the game the Angels have somewhat obligated themselves to accommodate his exit strategy.  Some may call BS on that and claim it's not necessary, but it is what it is.  I just hope he actually retires after next year and doesn't try to latch on to some other team on a minor league deal so he can keep playing.  That would be even more demoralizing that seeing what he's now become.  

His milestones are actually a pretty valuable commodity, mostly online merch sales and getting viewers,  expanded team history, stadium plaques and other info boards in the tunnels to boot.

3 minutes ago, Angel said:

His milestones are actually a pretty valuable commodity, mostly online merch sales and getting viewers,  stadium plaques and other info boards in the tunnels to boot.

yep.  Every time he reaches a milestone, a bunch of people go online and order Cards jerseys with "Pujols" on the back.  

7 minutes ago, Angel said:

His milestones are actually a pretty valuable commodity, mostly online merch sales and getting viewers,  expanded team history, stadium plaques and other info boards in the tunnels to boot.

Not one bit of this makes sense.

Pujols is a fart that's left a 10 year stench in Anaheim.  Nothing about his 10 years will be remembered fondly here, a period of wild ineptitude.

2 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

Not one bit of this makes sense.

Pujols is a fart that's left a 10 year stench in Anaheim.  Nothing about his 10 years will be remembered fondly here, a period of wild ineptitude.

He's a HOFer not some pushover, the league will give their dues to the team he's on.  You sound really angry, get help.

I would like to see Pujols sign a four year extension.  New contract 5 years/$38m.

$7.6m per year.

The Angels then release Pujols and just pay him his $38m over 5 years.

Pujols effectively makes 10% on his $30m “investment.”

Angels pick up $22.4m in cash flow flexibility next year.

Edited by Dtwncbad