• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Angels Pitching Staff

tdawg87

1 hour ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

image.png.1654479589a856c467bd6898a29ae263.png

What ever this Philosophy is, it sucks, all its awarding us with is Tjs.

Don't we have a different Pitching coach this year though? I mean the coaching staff is completely different from last year, not to mention I doubt Eppler is telling pitchers how to pitch, so this quote is irrelevant. 

3 minutes ago, John Taylor said:

Don't we have a different Pitching coach this year though? I mean the coaching staff is completely different from last year, not to mention I doubt Eppler is telling pitchers how to pitch, so this quote is irrelevant. 

Yes

I mean looking at our Pitching staff:

Heaney - Has never been a #1, can't pitch with 2 outs

Ohtani - Arm is made of glass

Bundy - Pitching above his expectations (except today where he met his expectations for the first time)

Teheran - Still in extended spring training.

Sandoval - He's Pablo Patrick Sandoval, if he doesnt end up getting Tommy John this season I'd call that exceeding expectations.

Bullpen - A bunch of bums

Our pitching philosophy isn't the issue, its our shitty pitching staff that's the issue.

The organization has kinda screwed up and/or been unlucky in pretty much every avenue a team can use to build a staff. We haven't developed a top level SP (think major league 1/2) starter in quite a while, which either means we've been incredibly unlucky with drafting/international pickups, or we're just crap at developing pitchers, or a combination of the two. We've also been bad/unlucky with signing/trading for big name guys, which is either because the big names just don't want to play here or our front office couldn't swing the moves. So now we're left with trying to find the proverbial "clean peanut" every year, which is really the hardest way to build a staff. It just takes some ridiculously good scouting and coaching, plus good injury luck. A couple teams have managed to do well with that in the past (it seems like the Cardinals have been consistently successful with that sort of thing for like 25 years now), but it's by far and away more difficult than doing it through the draft/development or sign/trade method. Basically we've been relying on the third best option for building a staff for several years now, and we're crap at that approach too.

15 hours ago, Don said:

The organization has kinda screwed up and/or been unlucky in pretty much every avenue a team can use to build a staff. We haven't developed a top level SP (think major league 1/2) starter in quite a while, which either means we've been incredibly unlucky with drafting/international pickups, or we're just crap at developing pitchers, or a combination of the two. We've also been bad/unlucky with signing/trading for big name guys, which is either because the big names just don't want to play here or our front office couldn't swing the moves. So now we're left with trying to find the proverbial "clean peanut" every year, which is really the hardest way to build a staff. It just takes some ridiculously good scouting and coaching, plus good injury luck. A couple teams have managed to do well with that in the past (it seems like the Cardinals have been consistently successful with that sort of thing for like 25 years now), but it's by far and away more difficult than doing it through the draft/development or sign/trade method. Basically we've been relying on the third best option for building a staff for several years now, and we're crap at that approach too.

I mean I saw their plan, and to be fair it has been derailed by injury and death. They felt they had two good number twos in Heaney and Scaggs. Then Canning and Sandoval coming up with a large ceiling. And finally, Ohtani was the big signing of the ace-type pitcher. The problem is that all of these guys are over-rated. Heaney and Scaggs were both 4-5 guys at best with as many bad days as good. Canning and Sandoval are probably 3-5 guys at best and as said Ohtani cant stay healthy. The people evaluating talent just plain suck.

Outside of Ohtani's arm issues, this is all on Eppler. He's had ample time to prove that he cannot put a winning team and successful pitching staff together. 

I like the guy and think he's well intentioned and I'll forever be grateful for the Ohtani signing and Trout extension, but he doesn't have a clue on building a good pitching rotation and for that matter, a solid bullpen. 

i'm not fully following every team in BB like i used to do.  So i'm aware of mostly just the Angels and the AL west.  But serious question, is there any team that has a worst SP staff than the Angels?  i don't mean stats wise necessarily.  I mean everything -- stats, potential, Aces, depth, ready to step in youngsters, etc.  I would hazard a guess that the Angels, if not the worst, have to be bottom 5.  At least crappy teams can dream upon their studly SP farm prospects. It's been forever it seems that we developed a consistent top 3 rotation SP.  Is there truly a guy in our farm system now that has shown, performance + health, will be one eventually?  

Heck, for the next 5 years, we are hoping for a guy who can't stay healthy nor has shown for more than a handful of starts that he can be a true SP in MLB (Othani)......and a newly drafted guy who hasn't pitched as a pro yet (Detmer)....a single A guy who has had very bad back problems (Chris Rodriguez).....and a reclamation project (Bundy).  Maybe some other random low A guys.  That's sad.