• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Burning Questions with regards to the 2020 Angels short-season

Chuck

question GIF

Feel free to add on and respond, but here are some burning questions that come to mind with regards to the Angels 60-game season. 

1. How many of the 60 games will Mike Trout play as his first child is to be born in August. 

2. Will Jo Adell without a minor league season available make the team and start in RF? 

3. Can our 1st round pick Reid Detmers (when signed) crack the rotation? 

4. Since Ohtani has a short season and has already been medically cleared and throwing off the mound, should he be on a pitch and starts per week limit? 

5. Griffin Canning has been cleared and throwing off the mound, how much can he contribute? Would it make sense to ease him back as a late inning guy? 

6. Do we need a 6-man rotation now? 

7. With an initial 29-man roster, which surprises make the team out of the gate? 

8. Do you think the Angels will bunt and hit & run more since every game is like a Sunday NFL game? This season is no longer a marathon, but a sprint. 

9. Can you see Eppler making any last minute deals before Sunday's deadline? 

10. What are some big names that you can see the Angels trading a prospect away for on or by the Aug 31st trade deadline if they're in the thick of things?

OK, seriously. I'll only respond to those that I have an opinion on.

2. Will Jo Adell without a minor league season available make the team and start in RF? 

Possibly the biggest loss to the short season is the impact on prospects. I haven't read the details of the year, but it really makes sense for MLB to allow expanded rosters throughout the season so that the "almost-ready" prospects can play baseball. I suspect one way or the other, Adell--and Marsh--will get some at-bats.

Don't think so. He needs at least some professional playing time.

4. Since Ohtani has a short season and has already been medically cleared and throwing off the mound, should he be on a pitch and starts per week limit? 

5. Griffin Canning has been cleared and throwing off the mound, how much can he contribute? Would it make sense to ease him back as a late inning guy? 

Kid gloves as usual. These guys are the future - no need to jeopardize that to legitimize Frankenseason (I want credit for that term).

7. With an initial 29-man roster, which surprises make the team out of the gate? 

Adell. Maybe Marsh.

10 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

5. I would ease Canning in, also concerned about the elbow. No need to rush things with such a great young pitcher. With our history of injuries especially.

Is his UCL issue something that will get better without surgery? If so, I agree with you. But I was under the impression that surgery is the only thing that will make it better. If that's the case, easing him in would only postpone it, similar to the issue the Angels faced with Ohtani in 2018. (I may be incorrect here.) 

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

question GIFn, 

Feel free to add on and respond, but here are some burning questions that come to mind with regards to the Angels 60-game season. 

1. How many of the 60 games will Mike Trout play as his first child is to be born in August.  Interesting question, Trout does have the option to sit out. But ultimately it is choice. Also on that note, i know a few people that have had a kid during covid, and the husband wasn't even allowed in the room, he had to wait outside.  So depends on trout.

Along those lines, having a good start is going to be key, we can't start of the season 10-10, 8-12 etc. 

Looking at 2019 best 60 game records per team, we need to win 35-40 games for a playoff shot. 

I think he will be, spring training for him and marsh will be important. I expect development to continue with our young guys. I also would not be surprised, if our minor leagues started playing each, similar to a official game. For example, for the Triple A team, split the guys into teams A and B, and have 6 inning games with proper protocols etc. 

21. I think you all him to develop physically, and than the other half of this season (or what the plan is) allow for Bp and game action (if possible)

we need a good start and othani will be needed. 60 games, 12 start each if we go by a 5 men or 10 if its 6 men rotation. 60 innnings, easily doable. Plus 60+ish innings isn't at all stressful. 

depends on his arm, still not solid on him being able to pitch thru the full season. I think late inning guy will be more stressful for his arm, getting up, warming, siting down. repeat. Pitching the next day. Keep him in the rotation. He's an important piece. 

6. Do we need a 6-man rotation now? 

5. 60 games, 12 game per start. might give ohtani a week off. but 5 seems the ideal choice. 

well seem like we're going with a 6-men. fine with it aswell. Hopefully get to see ohtani pitch on sundays

8. Do you think the Angels will bunt and hit & run more since every game is like a Sunday NFL game? This season is no longer a marathon, but a sprint. 

anything to win a game

9. Can you see Eppler making any last minute deals before Sunday's deadline? 

idk

10. What are some big names that you can see the Angels trading a prospect away for on or by the Aug 31st trade deadline if they're in the thick of things?

hard to say, simply cuz so many teams could be in it or they could be out. Question that needs to be asked in mid Augs.

The answer to #2 depends on #1 except then Adell would start in CF.

Would not surprise me for Detmers to be training with the practice squad and get a chance to make the team if/when injuries happen.

#4 and #5 would probably be answered by #6. Makes sense to have a 6 man and not overwork anyone. Teams with a true Ace might go with a 4 man rotation to get their studs as many starts as possible.

#7 depends on what happens during "spring" training. Probably carry more pitchers and not let starters go too deep.

#8 Maddon will do what needs to do to win.

#9 I can see teams that aren't looking to compete shed payroll. Maybe the Tigers look to move Boyd or the Rockies move Jon Gray.

#10 really depends on who is in and who is out. Answer goes back to teams shedding payroll if they are out of it. Teams also might just hold at that point for the comp pick.

I think the 6 man rotation is a great idea.  It looked to be pretty effective when we first tried it out.  Since our rotation has been filled with glass arms as of late, I believe the extra rest will be beneficial to all.  Possibly snowball into our bullpen preventing extra innings being eaten.  I think having an opener for Canning is a great idea as well. If Pena opens the game and we get a lead, this can let Canning come in with less stress and maybe get a feel for how his elbow will respond.   I also think Adell will definitely make the team and although he may only start a few times a week, it would still be developmental progress under an experienced manager like Maddon. 

Hard to say with Adell. Bringing him up would start his service time when he potentially needs more time in the minors (though that's not available right now). Just not sure if the org would be willing to start his clock while he's still developing at the major league level.

1. How many of the 60 games will Mike Trout play as his first child is to be born in August.  -- 50ish

2. Will Jo Adell without a minor league season available make the team and start in RF?  -- Going to be interesting to see how it plays out -- the guys on the taxi squad will not see their clocks started.  My guess is they keep him on the taxi to try to get him experience maybe?   

3. Can our 1st round pick Reid Detmers (when signed) crack the rotation? -- Dude only pitched a handful of innings, so he won't need the rest.  Wouldnt shock me to see them let him get some innings in and be part of that taxi squad

4. Since Ohtani has a short season and has already been medically cleared and throwing off the mound, should he be on a pitch and starts per week limit? -- It's probably just a limit of one start per week, again.

5. Griffin Canning has been cleared and throwing off the mound, how much can he contribute? Would it make sense to ease him back as a late inning guy? -- 6 man rotation supposedly.  

6. Do we need a 6-man rotation now?  -- sounds like they are going with it regardless.  

7. With an initial 29-man roster, which surprises make the team out of the gate? -- Jose Rojas!  I think the guys age 25 and older are all likely to get time.

8. Do you think the Angels will bunt and hit & run more since every game is like a Sunday NFL game? This season is no longer a marathon, but a sprint.  -- they were likely going to anyway.  MS Jr is now the manager.

9. Can you see Eppler making any last minute deals before Sunday's deadline? -- Nope

10. What are some big names that you can see the Angels trading a prospect away for on or by the Aug 31st trade deadline if they're in the thick of things? -- I can't.,  I doubt anyone will be willing to make deals for anything other than guys on expiring contacts that won't cost much if anything.   Not only has nobody seen any minor leaguers, they still can't guarantee a post-season.

1 hour ago, SoPas Angel said:

Is his UCL issue something that will get better without surgery? If so, I agree with you. But I was under the impression that surgery is the only thing that will make it better. If that's the case, easing him in would only postpone it, similar to the issue the Angels faced with Ohtani in 2018. (I may be incorrect here.) 

https://www.mlb.com/news/griffin-canning-elbow-injury-injections 

29 minutes ago, Don said:

Hard to say with Adell. Bringing him up would start his service time when he potentially needs more time in the minors (though that's not available right now). Just not sure if the org would be willing to start his clock while he's still developing at the major league level.

The rules regarding the "clock" may change with the next CBA anyway.  This would seem to be the perfect time (expanded rosters) to see how he handles being in The Show.  Give him a taste of a 60 game playoff series.

9 minutes ago, Slegnaac said:

See David Clyde

and Burt Hooton
and Mike Morgan
and Darren Drieffort
and Mike Leake...

and maybe of more interest to Angels fans....    Bill Stoneman and Eddie Bane

A bunch of hitters did it too -- Winfield and Olerud and Bob Horner come to mind.  More pitchers too.

Ole Stoney sure did a lot of things in baseball...   Two no-nos, a WS as a GM...   

Maybe one of the most unheralded dudes in MLB history given all the notable stuff.