Chuckster70

Burning Questions with regards to the 2020 Angels short-season

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Homebrewer said:

Will the World Series winner mean much at all? 

When it became obvious there was going to be a shorten season at first I was thinking the same. I was in the ‘why bother’ boat. 
 

However, as this has progressed and talking to a few buddies I’ve changed my mind. I’ve always thought 162 was too long. Obviously 60 isn’t the ideal length but it could be interesting from a quality Of play stand point. 
 

Starters knowing they only have about 12 starts, relievers knowing they only have 2 months, everyday players knowing they’re in a sprint for the playoffs might make for the overall quality of play to improve. Pitchers throwing harder, players beating out grounders they typically wouldn’t, etc. Each game is somewhat meaningful with only having 60. 
 

If these games do end up having a playoff-like atmosphere throughout I don’t think it can be viewed much differently or at all. Unless of course the Angels don’t win, then f*ck it.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, failos said:

Is there any precedence for a draft pick starting the MLB season? Unless you mean later on in the season

Dave Winfield was picked 4th in 1973, the same year as Clyde, and went straight to the majors with no minor league appearances, playing 15 days after the draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Dave Winfield was picked 4th in 1973, the same year as Clyde, and went straight to the majors with no minor league appearances, playing 15 days after the draft.

Rangers rue that draft pick to this day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

and Burt Hooton
and Mike Morgan
and Darren Drieffort
and Mike Leake...

and maybe of more interest to Angels fans....    Bill Stoneman and Eddie Bane

A bunch of hitters did it too -- Winfield and Olerud and Bob Horner come to mind.  More pitchers too.

Ole Stoney sure did a lot of things in baseball...   Two no-nos, a WS as a GM...   

Maybe one of the most unheralded dudes in MLB history given all the notable stuff.

 

Not to mention Stoney being one of the very first to play MLB for a Canadian team

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Angel Oracle said:

Question not asked: if Stassi catches when Ohtani pitches, odds that they DH for Stassi and let Ohtani hit?

I could see Maddon doing that once or twice in game where a position player goes out, the DH takes that position, and then Ohtani would have to hit by rule. That seems like a Maddon sorta thing to do. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

question GIF

Feel free to add on and respond, but here are some burning questions that come to mind with regards to the Angels 60-game season. 

1. How many of the 60 games will Mike Trout play as his first child is to be born in August. 

2. Will Jo Adell without a minor league season available make the team and start in RF? 

3. Can our 1st round pick Reid Detmers (when signed) crack the rotation? 

4. Since Ohtani has a short season and has already been medically cleared and throwing off the mound, should he be on a pitch and starts per week limit? 

5. Griffin Canning has been cleared and throwing off the mound, how much can he contribute? Would it make sense to ease him back as a late inning guy? 

6. Do we need a 6-man rotation now? 

7. With an initial 29-man roster, which surprises make the team out of the gate? 

8. Do you think the Angels will bunt and hit & run more since every game is like a Sunday NFL game? This season is no longer a marathon, but a sprint. 

9. Can you see Eppler making any last minute deals before Sunday's deadline? 

10. What are some big names that you can see the Angels trading a prospect away for on or by the Aug 31st trade deadline if they're in the thick of things?

I wonder why Detmers has not already been signed, he could be a help in short season. Ohtani 1 start a week, Maddon has already said that and we will have 6 man rotation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CanadianHalo said:

When it became obvious there was going to be a shorten season at first I was thinking the same. I was in the ‘why bother’ boat. 
 

However, as this has progressed and talking to a few buddies I’ve changed my mind. I’ve always thought 162 was too long. Obviously 60 isn’t the ideal length but it could be interesting from a quality Of play stand point. 
 

Starters knowing they only have about 12 starts, relievers knowing they only have 2 months, everyday players knowing they’re in a sprint for the playoffs might make for the overall quality of play to improve. Pitchers throwing harder, players beating out grounders they typically wouldn’t, etc. Each game is somewhat meaningful with only having 60. 
 

If these games do end up having a playoff-like atmosphere throughout I don’t think it can be viewed much differently or at all. Unless of course the Angels don’t win, then f*ck it.
 

 

No parade 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Question not asked: if Stassi catches when Ohtani pitches, odds that they DH for Stassi and let Ohtani hit?

I would let Ohtani hit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

This is a March 7th update, a week before the covid 19 shutdown. Here is a May 7 update. I’m hopeful he can make 10 starts for us this year  

 https://www.google.com/amp/s/halohangout.com/2020/05/07/la-angels-news-injury-griffin-canning/amp/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Bronson said:

Have they said how many teams will get into the playoffs?

I believe the playoff format is the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you had to pick ONE MANAGER in all of baseball to figure out exactly how to play every angle to maximize your chances of winning a season unlike any other in baseball history, who would you choose?

Me too.

Joe Maddon.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.