• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Burning Questions with regards to the 2020 Angels short-season

Chuck

1 hour ago, Homebrewer said:

Will the World Series winner mean much at all? 

When it became obvious there was going to be a shorten season at first I was thinking the same. I was in the ‘why bother’ boat. 

However, as this has progressed and talking to a few buddies I’ve changed my mind. I’ve always thought 162 was too long. Obviously 60 isn’t the ideal length but it could be interesting from a quality Of play stand point. 

Starters knowing they only have about 12 starts, relievers knowing they only have 2 months, everyday players knowing they’re in a sprint for the playoffs might make for the overall quality of play to improve. Pitchers throwing harder, players beating out grounders they typically wouldn’t, etc. Each game is somewhat meaningful with only having 60. 

If these games do end up having a playoff-like atmosphere throughout I don’t think it can be viewed much differently or at all. Unless of course the Angels don’t win, then f*ck it.

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

and Burt Hooton
and Mike Morgan
and Darren Drieffort
and Mike Leake...

and maybe of more interest to Angels fans....    Bill Stoneman and Eddie Bane

A bunch of hitters did it too -- Winfield and Olerud and Bob Horner come to mind.  More pitchers too.

Ole Stoney sure did a lot of things in baseball...   Two no-nos, a WS as a GM...   

Maybe one of the most unheralded dudes in MLB history given all the notable stuff.

Not to mention Stoney being one of the very first to play MLB for a Canadian team

Just now, Angel Oracle said:

Question not asked: if Stassi catches when Ohtani pitches, odds that they DH for Stassi and let Ohtani hit?

I could see Maddon doing that once or twice in game where a position player goes out, the DH takes that position, and then Ohtani would have to hit by rule. That seems like a Maddon sorta thing to do. 

7 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

question GIF

Feel free to add on and respond, but here are some burning questions that come to mind with regards to the Angels 60-game season. 

1. How many of the 60 games will Mike Trout play as his first child is to be born in August. 

2. Will Jo Adell without a minor league season available make the team and start in RF? 

3. Can our 1st round pick Reid Detmers (when signed) crack the rotation? 

4. Since Ohtani has a short season and has already been medically cleared and throwing off the mound, should he be on a pitch and starts per week limit? 

5. Griffin Canning has been cleared and throwing off the mound, how much can he contribute? Would it make sense to ease him back as a late inning guy? 

6. Do we need a 6-man rotation now? 

7. With an initial 29-man roster, which surprises make the team out of the gate? 

8. Do you think the Angels will bunt and hit & run more since every game is like a Sunday NFL game? This season is no longer a marathon, but a sprint. 

9. Can you see Eppler making any last minute deals before Sunday's deadline? 

10. What are some big names that you can see the Angels trading a prospect away for on or by the Aug 31st trade deadline if they're in the thick of things?

I wonder why Detmers has not already been signed, he could be a help in short season. Ohtani 1 start a week, Maddon has already said that and we will have 6 man rotation.

3 hours ago, CanadianHalo said:

When it became obvious there was going to be a shorten season at first I was thinking the same. I was in the ‘why bother’ boat. 

However, as this has progressed and talking to a few buddies I’ve changed my mind. I’ve always thought 162 was too long. Obviously 60 isn’t the ideal length but it could be interesting from a quality Of play stand point. 

Starters knowing they only have about 12 starts, relievers knowing they only have 2 months, everyday players knowing they’re in a sprint for the playoffs might make for the overall quality of play to improve. Pitchers throwing harder, players beating out grounders they typically wouldn’t, etc. Each game is somewhat meaningful with only having 60. 

If these games do end up having a playoff-like atmosphere throughout I don’t think it can be viewed much differently or at all. Unless of course the Angels don’t win, then f*ck it.

No parade