• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Farm System Rankings

Fish Oil

23 minutes ago, Fish Oil said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/2020-farm-system-rankings

They seem unimpressed by what we have to offer.

I know I’m a homer and the system is missing some pieces (or layers?) but this seems extreme...

26) Los Angeles Angels
2019 preseason rank: unranked
2019 midseason rank: unranked
Top 100 Prospects: Jo Adell, OF (No. 6), Brandon Marsh, OF (No. 79)
Top 2020 rookie: Jo Adell, OF
Starting with the two guys at the top, this organization has a lot of toolsy, athletic types that are of the high-risk, high-reward variety

we'll see how things go.  I hope they're wrong.  Fortunately, they usually are.  

I like our farm system but it really is quite the crapshoot at this point.  So many boom or bust guys in the lower levels and not much in AA/AAA outside of Marsh and Adell.  

It's pretty easy to rank out system low because it's not like they're gonna feed a ton of new talent to the big league club this year.  A lot of that has already graduated and the next wave is a couple years away at least.  

Even if they do make some major strides this year (which they very well could), that's all the pundits will have to say in their next publication.  It is a little bit of an odd ranking though considering that they rank a system like cleveland so high based on a similar profile of having a lot of the top guys at age 20 or younger.   

Truly though, if the system doesn't make a decent jump this year and the major league club doesn't make a playoff push, Billy is going to be looking for a new job.  

I agree with the ranking. Our farm is weak. We have little/no pitching, and little talent in the upper minors. But we have a number of good young players on the ML roster that should hopefully make us less reliant on the farm for the next few years (thus providing time to build the farm back up).

To me, the Angels lack the quality player development that the top farms have. With the exception of the Dogs the teams at the top have consistently top five draft picks. The Angels have been picking middle of the pack for most of the century, therefore the need for quality player development is vital. They need to draft high ceiling pitchers and catchers. Mostly, Eppler and the Farm Directors must be held accountable for the lack of quality throughout the system despite the last four horrible years. 

The "picking middle of the pack" thing isn't a valid excuse anymore.  There's 40 rounds in an MLB draft, and maybe a handful of guys every year are "can't miss" prospects.   Other historically good MLB teams don't have the barren wasteland of pitching that we do.

We just aren't good at developing young pitching.  That mixed with our supreme bad luck (player deaths, surgeries, injuries, etc.) and this is what you get.

25 minutes ago, Reveille1984 said:

The "picking middle of the pack" thing isn't a valid excuse anymore.  There's 40 rounds in an MLB draft, and maybe a handful of guys every year are "can't miss" prospects.   Other historically good MLB teams don't have the barren wasteland of pitching that we do.

We just aren't good at developing young pitching.  That mixed with our supreme bad luck (player deaths, surgeries, injuries, etc.) and this is what you get.

I kinda feel like the idea of "developing" young pitching is a bit of a myth, or at least largely over stated.  
How many young guys that were way under the radar developed into a stud versus how many were simply misjudged early on by scouts?
Most of the studs were studs from the get go.
Lets not forget how many people passed on Trout for us to get him after all.
Team tank for the virtual guarantee, or as close to it as it gets. 

These rankings are a little disappointing but at the end of the day they don't mean much. Players come out of no where all the time and succeed. Adell wasn't the number 1 pick but he has a really good shot at winning Rookie of the Year this year. Like others have said a lot of our younger guys are up here already to help up the big league club so that could have some affect on the rankings, but definitely would have preferred the Angels to be middle of the road if not top 10.   

1 minute ago, floplag said:

I kinda feel like the idea of "developing" young pitching is a bit of a myth, or at least largely over stated.  
How many young guys that were way under the radar developed into a stud versus how many were simply misjudged early on by scouts?
Most of the studs were studs from the get go.
Lets not forget how many people passed on Trout for us to get him after all.
Team tank for the virtual guarantee, or as close to it as it gets. 

Then what can it be chalked up to?  Let's look at some SP WAR "studs" from 2019 and their overall draft position:

Cole - 1 Overall

deGrom - 272 Overall

Lynn - 39 Overall

Scherzer - 11 Overall

Verlander - 2 Overall

Morton - 95 Overall

Strasburg - 1 Overall

Bieber - 122 Overall

Giolito - 16 Overall

Buehler - 22 Overall

Corbin - 80 Overall

Flaherty - 34 Overall

There's three top-3 picks on there, mixed with a lot of guys from all over the first, second and third rounds (deGrom being an outlier).  This myth that you need a top 5 pick or that you need to be the worst team in the league to draft decent pitching has no verifiable proof behind it.

Hell, I'd take a 2-3 WAR guy , I'm not even looking for top 15 arms at this point.

1 minute ago, Reveille1984 said:

Then what can it be chalked up to?  Let's look at some SP WAR "studs" from 2019 and their overall draft position:

Cole - 1 Overall

deGrom - 272 Overall

Lynn - 39 Overall

Scherzer - 11 Overall

Verlander - 2 Overall

Morton - 95 Overall

Strasburg - 1 Overall

Bieber - 122 Overall

Giolito - 16 Overall

Buehler - 22 Overall

Corbin - 80 Overall

Flaherty - 34 Overall

There's three top-3 picks on there, mixed with a lot of guys from all over the first, second and third rounds (deGrom being an outlier).  This myth that you need a top 5 pick or that you need to be the worst team in the league to draft decent pitching has no verifiable proof behind it.

Hell, I'd take a 2-3 WAR guy , I'm not even looking for top 15 arms at this point.

Well thats a whole other discussion isnt it.  If were talking aces versus mid rotation types.

15 minutes ago, Reveille1984 said:

Even amongst those aces listed, only three are top ten picks.  You can find good pitching all over the place.

Again though the discussion was about developing it.  To me thats more along the lines of guys that were not expected to be much that ended up being it.  Which is to say a lot fewer guys.   I guess it depends on how you define developing.