• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rosenthal: What the Halo? Leave Trout in CF!

nate

There have been hundreds of studies that state that happy workers produce more... just because it is baseball doesn't change anything.

Also, I am speaking more toward making him happy so he stays on the team.

and yes we all remember when Trout said he was "unhappy" playing lf.

Oh, wait????

Lifetime knows Mike Trout personally. They are buds.

Well, we do know that Trout himself has completely dismissed any connection between the position he's playing and his hitting, instead explaining it with a change in his stance he made after watching tape with Pujols.

Which by the way, makes A LOT more sense than the idea that he can only hit like he's capable of if he's playing CF.

Oh good grief the eventually he'll be a Yankee argument again. Trout won't make it to FA before the Angels lock him in long term to a very big contract. 

fact is, if the Angels offer him the right long term extension next year, Trout would be stupid to turn down the Angels offer.  There is always the risk of injury and he can't walk away from guarantee money!

I think that Bourjos is a slightly better defensive OF, which is why transitioning him to LF would make some sense as he could adjust more fluidly. In the month he played in left this year, Trout just seemed a bit off defensively from what we are used to. I don't have any advance stats to support my claims, that's just how I viewed his month there. Both can obviously play great D in center and can cover about the same ground. In all, I think everyone is making way too big a deal out of this situation.

I stopped reading at this point:

"Never mind that Trout has been a good soldier, never once complaining about playing left. Angels people concede that Trout’s old smile and energy returned after he moved back to center. And in the past several days, I’ve spoken with three analysts at MLB Network — former major leaguers Bill Ripken, Harold Reynolds and Dave Valle — who were adamant that Trout should remain at the position."

I stopped reading at this point:

"Never mind that Trout has been a good soldier, never once complaining about playing left. Angels people concede that Trout’s old smile and energy returned after he moved back to center. And in the past several days, I’ve spoken with three analysts at MLB Network — former major leaguers Bill Ripken, Harold Reynolds and Dave Valle — who were adamant that Trout should remain at the position."

Kind of bummed out that he didn't get Mitch Wlliams' opinion.

Wow, thanks LT for defending rational thinking.

I am one that thinks the defensive metrics this early in the season aren't totally off. Trout's defense has not just been off in LF, it has also been worse in center. Last night a good accurate arm could have had Ethier at the plate. I've been to 15+ games at the big A this year and watched Trout take bad routes to balls, a couple dropped for hits but most he made up for with his speed. Trout's UZR/150 in LF is 13.4 and in CF it is -9. I don't think he's that bad but he hasn't looked stellar to my eye this year either anywhere.

Peter's arm isn't the only thing better, his routes are cleaner. This isn't to say Bourjos has been a defensive gem this season either, his UZR/150 is worse at -26.8. In fact I believe a major problem with the pitching this year is actually our substandard defense, 34 team errors (2nd worse in baseball.) I digress.

This discussion is about defensive comparisons of Trout and Bourjos and offensive comparisons of Bourjos and Shuck/Trumbo (his possible replacements.)

2012 Trout vs 2012 Bourjos defensively (in CF) their UZR/150 were 16.0 for Trout vs 40.8 for Peter. 2011 Peter was even better with a 47.2 UZR/150. Answer: Peter is better in CF. As shown in above paragraph, Trout is good in LF. Defensively Bourjos in CF and Trout in LF maximizes our defense.

What about Peter vs Shuck at the dish. Peter has a wOBA (a comprehensive measure of offensive production, look it up) this season of .361. This is tied with Trumbo for 2nd on the team. Shuck has a respectable .309, 9th on the team. Peter is exceptional and Shuck is slightly below the league average of .323. I don't get the logic of trading Peter and his bat, which isn't good enough for LF, and replacing it with a below league average hitter who's defense isn't as good. That makes no sense to me.

The argument about Trumbo over Peter doesn't fly either. Peter's defense is exceedingly better, no contest (Trumbo UZR/150 in 2012 LF -0.7.) Peter's offensive value is not worse (remember their wOBA is equal.) Bourjos' speed helps him with more triples than Trumbo will ever hit, not to mention the extra runs with improved base-running. It's a slight advantage to Trumbo for power to our common opinion but the numbers this year don't say that.

This whole argument is silly based on the stats, put Bourjos in center and Trout in LF. How easily we forget how good Peter was defensively in 2011 because our eyes are clouded by Trout's offensive production in 2012. Trout is really good, Bourjos is better.

I think they didn't trade Petey because the league undervalued his potential. It is best to trade a player at the height of their value, now, instead of when there is uncertainty, last off season.

Last thing, Peter is the best leadoff hitter we've got, .370 OBP. I can't wait till we see him batting in front of Trout instead of Aybar. He is also improving his walk rate (7.7% in 2013.) if we could get a top of the rotation SP with a couple years left then MAYBE we trade Peter otherwise we take advantage of an exceptional CF.

If people are really stupid enough to believe that Trout is hitting better because he is playing CF.  Then the Angels should put Hamilton and his $125 million contract in CF, because it's obvious RF is affecting his hitting.

exactly. The last thing on trouts mind when he's in the box is is where he plays defense.

Trumbo seems to do fine, and he gets bounced all over the place.