• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rosenthal: What the Halo? Leave Trout in CF!

nate

"As one rival executive explains, a .930 OPS from Trout in center would give the Angels a far greater competitive advantage than a .930 OPS from him in left. Center fielders generally don’t hit as well as left fielders. The average OPS in center this season is .728. The average OPS in left is .765."

What a bunch of nonsense. Trout and Bourjos are going to play. Any advantage gained or lost by their defensive position has nothing to do with their  offense.  It isn't like the Angels have Trout and are looking for a CF so they can move him to LF.  They have two players for two spots.      

I think the team value is maximized if you use Trout in CF'er and then put a better bat in LF (or 1b/DH) and sacrifice some defensive. In essence you are trading the difference between Trout/Bourjos defensively (minimal) vs. the offensive difference between Bourjos and a standard LF (or 1b/DH) bat. Do you sacrifice some defensive in LF as well...yes...but that is not as significant. Bourjos is also one of the few trade pieces with value the Halos have.

what average/standard LF bat? 

And yes, the defensive sacrifice of having Trout in CF and some other LF (with an average bat) is significant. Trout and Bourjos in the OF together is a significant defensive upgrade over just about any other viable option. 

We have had this discussion before already so I dont understand why you still dont get it. if you can get a .900+ ops from CF, then the team will have an advantage offensively if you can add the typical LF hitter to your team. its why bourjos has been unnecessary.on this team since the day Trout was called.

Yeah but in this specific situation it doesn't matter. The whole argument has about where to put the players. Their OPS is totally irrelevant because they are both in the lineup. Both players can play both positions. If they decide to trade Bourjos, Trouts OPS as CF becomes relevant. But when deciding where to play them when both will be in the batting lineup, OPS means nothing.

In the grand scheme of things it is important. But not for this specific circumstance.

I think the biggest problem with having Trout in left is that he has made a lot of errors in left field this year. Also, as we all know, he has a propensity for running into walls and that left field wall is a doozie.

Yeah but in this specific situation it doesn't matter. The whole argument has about where to put the players. Their OPS is totally irrelevant because they are both in the lineup. Both players can play both positions. If they decide to trade Bourjos, Trouts OPS as CF becomes relevant. But when deciding where to play them when both will be in the batting lineup, OPS means nothing.In the grand scheme of things it is important. But not for this specific circumstance.I think the biggest problem with having Trout in left is that he has made a lot of errors in left field this year. Also, as we all know, he has a propensity for running into walls and that left field wall is a doozie.

Yeah, fully agreed. Its why I have been very pro-trade Bourjos for pitching. The defense with those two in the OF wont make bad pitching look good.

Lol, he's said as much and his play on the field shows it. If you can't see that I don't know what to tell ya.

Meh, he basically said he preferred CF because he's played there more. And his defense overall in LF, this year and last have been very good. You seem to want to forget the larger sample size from last year. 

Trout acknowledged Sunday that he prefers center field, the position he's played since the Angels selected him in the first round of the 2009 amateur draft. But he also said that he believes playing in left field will help him to become a more complete outfielder.

"I'm a center fielder, obviously," Trout said. "But you know, when you're an outfielder, you should be able to play all three. I think it's going to help me get reads off the bat. It's going to be a fun adjustment for me."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/news/20130303/mike-trout-salary.ap/#ixzz2UojSLQxg

Meh, he basically said he preferred CF because he's played there more. And his defense overall in LF, this year and last have been very good. You seem to want to forget the larger sample size from last year.

Trout acknowledged Sunday that he prefers center field, the position he's played since the Angels selected him in the first round of the 2009 amateur draft. But he also said that he believes playing in left field will help him to become a more complete outfielder.

"I'm a center fielder, obviously," Trout said. "But you know, when you're an outfielder, you should be able to play all three. I think it's going to help me get reads off the bat. It's going to be a fun adjustment for me."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/news/20130303/mike-trout-salary.ap/#ixzz2UojSLQxg

Like I said I don't know what to tell ya.

Like I said I don't know what to tell ya.

So ya, he prefers CF because he's played there most, but it's going to be fun playing adjusting to a different OF position. That's a pretty stiff indictment for keeping Trout in CF even though as good as Trout is in CF we have another player who's skill set is more suited for the CF position. /sarcasm