• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rosenthal: What the Halo? Leave Trout in CF!

nate

When you have another GG caliber CF with a better arm, yes it does. Trout's value to the Angels is highest playing LF with Bourjos in CF. If they don't have Bourjos, then you can make the argument that his value is higher in CF. 

And his arm isn't insignificant.

When you have another GG caliber CF with a better arm, yes it does. Trout's value to the Angels is highest playing LF with Bourjos in CF. If they don't have Bourjos, then you can make the argument that his value is higher in CF.

And his arm isn't insignificant.

Nope. Due to the fact the angels have two outstanding cfers they should stick with the one with hall of fame potential and trade the other to improve an area of need, of which there are plenty.

I can see value to both sides of this argument - it isn't an either/or thing (it rarely is). I wouldn't be so quick to write off "positional advantage" because of the fact that a .900 OPS in LF is a lot easier to replace than in CF.

As long as Bourjos is on the team he should probably start in CF - not only because he's a tad better than Trout defensively, but because it better advertises him for a trade for another starter or top-flight reliever.

Btw, trout wasn't playing that well defensively in lf when he was there, so your theory didn't show up when both were out there.

Btw, Trout played great in LF last year over a larger playing period so ya, the argument holds up just fine. 

Then there's this gem: "As one rival executive explains, a .930 OPS from Trout in center would give the Angels a far greater competitive advantage than a .930 OPS from him in left. Center fielders generally don’t hit as well as left fielders. The average OPS in center this season is .728. The average OPS in left is .765."  This may be the most ridiculous arguments of this entire topic. Having a .930 OPS from your CF or LF doesn't change the Angels competitive advantage other than bar stool banter comparing one team's CF OPS to another's. Who gives a sh*t how his OPS compares to most CF? It's just plain stupid to posit such an argument to support keeping Trout in CF. 

We have had this discussion before already so I dont understand why you still dont get it. if you can get a .900+ ops from CF, then the team will have an advantage offensively if you can add the typical LF hitter to your team. its why bourjos has been unnecessary.on this team since the day Trout was called.

I can see value to both sides of this argument - it isn't an either/or thing (it rarely is). I wouldn't be so quick to write off "positional advantage" because of the fact that a .900 OPS in LF is a lot easier to replace than in CF.

As long as Bourjos is on the team he should probably start in CF - not only because he's a tad better than Trout defensively, but because it better advertises him for a trade for another starter or top-flight reliever.

So what if it's easier to replace. Are they looking to replace a player? If you're going to replace one of them, you'll replace Bourjos every every time as Trout has the highest overall value to the organization. 

We have had this discussion before already so I dont understand why you still dont get it. if you can get a .900+ ops from CF, then the team will have an advantage offensively if you can add the typical LF hitter to your team. its why bourjos has been unnecessary.on this team since the day Trout was called.

Ya we've had this discussion before already.... I disagree. I get the argument just fine, I disagree with it. 

Trout is a center fielder. Having him in left is not fully maximizing his value. Some of us saw this coming last year, dipoto should have traded bourjos for pitching help and kept morales.

If you care about fantasy leagues!  If you a true baseball fan than you care about maximizing the teams value over maximizing the players value.

Just curious, when was the last time the Angels had a .900+ ops left fielder?

If you care about fantasy leagues!  If you a true baseball fan than you care about maximizing the teams value over maximizing the players value.

I think the team value is maximized if you use Trout in CF'er and then put a better bat in LF (or 1b/DH) and sacrifice some defensive. In essence you are trading the difference between Trout/Bourjos defensively (minimal) vs. the offensive difference between Bourjos and a standard LF (or 1b/DH) bat. Do you sacrifice some defensive in LF as well...yes...but that is not as significant. Bourjos is also one of the few trade pieces with value the Halos have.